Sennheiser RS220 Availability?
Feb 4, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #151 of 500
Sorry guys I no longer have the hd650 to compare with my RS220.

Feb 4, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #152 of 500
Further updates.   First, I've now tried several different locations for the transmitter, and I get the hum/whine in all locations, including where there is no metal anywhere near.   It's really annoying me, and at $600 I have a hard time accepting it.  Second, I'm now having the cutting out problems that d3fun mentioned.  Hmm, it's looking like these will have to go back.  That's too bad, I do like the sound when it isn't cutting out and when I can manage to ignore the hum, and of course the wireless convenience is great.

Feb 4, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #153 of 500

Quote:
Further updates.   First, I've now tried several different locations for the transmitter, and I get the hum/whine in all locations, including where there is no metal anywhere near.   It's really annoying me, and at $600 I have a hard time accepting it.  Second, I'm now having the cutting out problems that d3fun mentioned.  Hmm, it's looking like these will have to go back.  That's too bad, I do like the sound when it isn't cutting out and when I can manage to ignore the hum, and of course the wireless convenience is great.

I still haven't noticed the hum/whine.  You're using these with your laptop, right?  i haven't tried them with mine yet.  I primarily bought them to
use in my bedroom system for watching TV/Bluray and listening to music.  Maybe not enough power from the laptop to sustain a signal?  I'll be using them tonight for awhile and will report back. 

Feb 4, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #154 of 500
I don't hear any hum or hiss and also no cuttting out. You may have a faulty one. I have used mine feeding sound by Co-aux and optical. No problem whatsoever 

Feb 4, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #155 of 500

Quote:
Sorry guys I no longer have the hd650 to compare with my RS220.

Pity. Would have loved to have read more comparisons between those two. I've been putting off the buying of the HD650 as I've been hoping the RS220 would really be the wireless version of them.

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #156 of 500

Quote:
I still haven't noticed the hum/whine.  You're using these with your laptop, right?  i haven't tried them with mine yet.  I primarily bought them to
use in my bedroom system for watching TV/Bluray and listening to music.  Maybe not enough power from the laptop to sustain a signal?  I'll be using them tonight for awhile and will report back. 

Quote:
I don't hear any hum or hiss and also no cuttting out. You may have a faulty one. I have used mine feeding sound by Co-aux and optical. No problem whatsoever 

Thanks for the feedback, Head Dragon and mcnoiserdc.  My hum/whine issue definitely can't be related to the laptop, because I get it even when there is no source connected to the transmitter.  Not sure what the cause of cutting out is, either.  Yeah, maybe I got a faulty one..

Would someone be willing to try this please? 

1. Turn off transmitter and headphones.
2. Disconnect all source inputs from transmitter (so transmitter has no source input cables coming in at all)
3. Put headphones on head. 
4. Turn on transmitter (but don't yet turn on headphones). 
5.  Listen for any headphone noise (there shouldn't be any). 
6.  Leaving headphones on head, press headphone 'on' button. 
7.  Leaving headphones on head, wait 3-4 seconds till the headphones pair with the transmitter. 
8.  Listen again -- did hum/noise enter in when they paired?

I'd much appreciate if someone was willing to try that and see if you can detect any noise -- thanks in case you are willing to try!

Feb 5, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #157 of 500
Recharge light went out finally yesterday after about 17 hours, same as in initial charge.  Watched movie last night and put back in charger afterwards.  Nine hours later still recharging this morning.  I wonder if it takes 17 hours to fully recharge no matter how long you use it.  doesn't make much sense but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed non critical listening last night.  I need to listen to music to get some further impressions.  so far so good. 
otinkyad,  I'll try and do your reconnect experiment later when I get a chance.  Go Giants.

Feb 5, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #158 of 500
I just got mine and I have also been noticing the drop, no hum, no hiss and the range is excellent. But every once in a while i get drops. really starting to irk me. Really a shame because these cans sound fantastic. I have a Bose quiet comfort 3 and Shure se535's and these sound amazing. But the micro drops are a pain, happens even as close at 3 feet away from the base.

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #159 of 500

Quote:
Recharge light went out finally yesterday after about 17 hours, same as in initial charge.  Watched movie last night and put back in charger afterwards.  Nine hours later still recharging this morning.  I wonder if it takes 17 hours to fully recharge no matter how long you use it.  doesn't make much sense but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed non critical listening last night.  I need to listen to music to get some further impressions.  so far so good. 
otinkyad,  I'll try and do your reconnect experiment later when I get a chance.  Go Giants.

Quote:
I just got mine and I have also been noticing the drop, no hum, no hiss and the range is excellent. But every once in a while i get drops. really starting to irk me. Really a shame because these cans sound fantastic. I have a Bose quiet comfort 3 and Shure se535's and these sound amazing. But the micro drops are a pain, happens even as close at 3 feet away from the base.

Thanks again for the feedback on hum/noise issues, and thanks in advance Head Dragon for being willing to try the experiment (enjoy the Superbowl!).  So three people have now reported the drop/cutting out issue...

Some feedback on my recharging experiences:  The headphones were off the charger all day yesterday, although not in use all the time (and turned off when not in use).  I placed them on the charger overnight.  The charge light was still on this morning 10 hours later, but when I checked again after another two hours it had gone off, i.e., total 12 hours charge time.  So hopefully the charging on the RS220s isn't defective, just rather slow.  (I'm pretty sure it's slower than the RS-120, which I've had for some years.  I can check on this if anyone's interested).

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #160 of 500
I tried what you asked but no hum, the headphones are plain silent.

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback, Head Dragon and mcnoiserdc.  My hum/whine issue definitely can't be related to the laptop, because I get it even when there is no source connected to the transmitter.  Not sure what the cause of cutting out is, either.  Yeah, maybe I got a faulty one..

Would someone be willing to try this please? 

1. Turn off transmitter and headphones.
2. Disconnect all source inputs from transmitter (so transmitter has no source input cables coming in at all)
3. Put headphones on head. 
4. Turn on transmitter (but don't yet turn on headphones). 
5.  Listen for any headphone noise (there shouldn't be any). 
6.  Leaving headphones on head, press headphone 'on' button. 
7.  Leaving headphones on head, wait 3-4 seconds till the headphones pair with the transmitter. 
8.  Listen again -- did hum/noise enter in when they paired?

I'd much appreciate if someone was willing to try that and see if you can detect any noise -- thanks in case you are willing to try!

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #162 of 500
Do you have a wireless router next to your transmitter? If so try changing channel or so...

Quote:
Thanks, mcnoiserdc, much appreciated!  I guess I'll have to get another set then to see if that works better for me.  Thanks again.

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #163 of 500
I asked for advice/help in the "Buying Headphones" forum but only got one response. Thought I'd ask here hoping I'd get more help because I'm thinking of getting the 
RS220's. I'll do an abridged version of what I asked in the other threat I posted in. 

I need a new pair of headphones that will only be used with my computer. My preference is to go wireless. I am a super noob with headphones but I really want to get something great. I've read through this thread and it seems like there are some mixed early opinions. I just need to know a few things:
a) are they good for listening all types of genres of music (besides classical)?
b) will they be ok for watching movies?
c) if these are the headphones I should get do I need an amp or a new soundcard? (the soundcard I have came with the motherboard so it's ok) If so are there any recommendations someone could make? 

I apologize in advance if I shouldn't have posted this here and if these questions are just stupid but again the main forum to ask this wasn't very helpful and I really need some direction here. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out here. 

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #164 of 500

Quote:
Do you have a wireless router next to your transmitter? If so try changing channel or so...

Thanks for the suggestion, mcnoiserdc.  But no, the wireless router is not close, and I've also tried in a location that's very far from all possible sources of interference/metal etc. and still get the same hum.  I've contacted the seller BHPhoto about a replacement.

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #165 of 500

Quote:
I asked for advice/help in the "Buying Headphones" forum but only got one response. Thought I'd ask here hoping I'd get more help because I'm thinking of getting the 
RS220's. I'll do an abridged version of what I asked in the other threat I posted in. 

I need a new pair of headphones that will only be used with my computer. My preference is to go wireless. I am a super noob with headphones but I really want to get something great. I've read through this thread and it seems like there are some mixed early opinions. I just need to know a few things:
a) are they good for listening all types of genres of music (besides classical)?
b) will they be ok for watching movies?
c) if these are the headphones I should get do I need an amp or a new soundcard? (the soundcard I have came with the motherboard so it's ok) If so are there any recommendations someone could make? 

I apologize in advance if I shouldn't have posted this here and if these questions are just stupid but again the main forum to ask this wasn't very helpful and I really need some direction here. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out here. 

As I think everyone knows by now
smile.gif
I'm having some issues with my RS220.  But to my ears the sound quality is very good.  In response to your questions:
(a) I think they sound good for rock and jazz (the two genres I've listened to with them)
(b) I haven't tried watching movies, but I think one or more others on this thread mentioned having used for TV?
(c) to me they sound substantially better through a USB DAC than through my laptop soundcard.  The DAC I'm using is relatively moderately priced (HRT Music Streamer II, about $150 on amazon).  You don't need an amp for these -- in fact, as far as I know, you should *not* put amped input into these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back