Sennheiser RS220 Availability?
Jan 25, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #121 of 500
Hi all.  I've been lurking, watching this thread for a a while.  In fact, it was thanks to mcnoiserdc's post that I became aware of the RS 220 having become available -- thanks mcnoiserdc!

I just received my RS 220 (ordered from B&H Photo).  Charging right now, will have to wait till tomorrow to try it.  I just wanted to say, I'm not sure that regular AAA batteries will work with it.  I had the RS 170/180 at one point, and that documentation did say that  regular AAA was OK, but the RS 220 documentation does not.  So, I just wanted to say that it might be good to be careful with using other batteries.  I'd love to be proved wrong (would like to be able use regular AAAs myself) so if someone can point to information about regular AAAs definitely being OK, that would be great!

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #122 of 500

Quote:
  Charging right now, will have to wait till tomorrow to try it.  I just wanted to say, I'm not sure that regular AAA batteries will work with it.  

Yes, you can use regular AAAs.  This is from page 25 of the manual.  What halb was saying about receivers in a previous post applies here too and wading through the instructions isn't fun.   I'm still trying to figure out what's going on with the "loop through mode" with duelling descriptions of how to turn it on.

For powering the headphones, you can use rechargeable batteries (HR03,
AAA size, NiMH, 1.2 V) or standard batteries (AAA size, 1.5 V).

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #123 of 500

Quote:
Yes, you can use regular AAAs.  This is from page 25 of the manual.  What halb was saying about receivers in a previous post applies here too and wading through the instructions isn't fun.   I'm still trying to figure out what's going on with the "loop through mode" with duelling descriptions of how to turn it on.

For powering the headphones, you can use rechargeable batteries (HR03,
AAA size, NiMH, 1.2 V) or standard batteries (AAA size, 1.5 V).

Thanks, betavince!  Wow, I had completely missed that in the manual, even though I was specifically looking for information about batteries.  But I see it now, right there on page 25 like you said!  Good to know.  Thanks again.  I'll try to post some headphone impressions in the next couple of days.

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #125 of 500
I'm just curious if anybody who has tried these yet can compare them either to the HD600 or HD650.  The RS220 uses the HD650 driver, yet Jude's comments that the RS220 sounds like a "well-amped HD600" suggests the sound signature of the RS220 might be different (brighter?) than the HD650.  Is anybody able to comment on this?

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #126 of 500
I will have the RS220 next week. I will later tell my impressions

Quote:
I'm just curious if anybody who has tried these yet can compare them either to the HD600 or HD650.  The RS220 uses the HD650 driver, yet Jude's comments that the RS220 sounds like a "well-amped HD600" suggests the sound signature of the RS220 might be different (brighter?) than the HD650.  Is anybody able to comment on this?

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #128 of 500
I hope the RS220 is not to heavy with those batteries on board, but do tell us how they sit 
triportsad.gif

I love the design, find it more sharp looking than the new HD700.

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #129 of 500

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm a little hesitant to put the batteries in any external charger because of the way they look and how they're described by Sennheiser, making it seem like they're not the standard issue rechargeables.  I think I'll be fine after the initial charge, as long as I put them back on the base when not in use.  

I would be surprised if it didn't just use standard NiMH AA or AAA's.
My RS180's did, they were a lesser-known make & model...
But I researched them & they turned out to be known amongst battery enthusiasts (yes they exist) as good.

*EDIT*
Ah I see you've now confirmed it can use standard AAA NiMH, great.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/574847/sennheiser-rs220-availability/120#post_8091037

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #131 of 500
I received my RS220's 2 weeks ago from Crutchfield and am using them exclusively for movies when everyone goes to sleep. Build quality wise I thought they were a little cheap feeling for $599.00. The on/off button does not work all the time and I have to hold it in to get them to turn on. Other than that it works perfectly and I like how they sound for movies. I have them hooked up digitally via coax to my HD cable box and toslink to my Blu-ray player. This is the only wireless headphone I have ever owned and other than the build quality I'm happy with them.

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #132 of 500
I received my RS220 yesterday and so far they seem to do pretty well what I bought it for. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #133 of 500

Quote:
I received my RS220 yesterday and so far they seem to do pretty well what I bought it for. 

What did you buy them for?  I'm intending to use them primarily for music sourced from CDs, lossless files, or high-quality lossy files.  As we've seen, others are using them for movies or TV viewing.  I would think music would be more demanding.

Also, how is the volume on these things? 

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #134 of 500

Quote:

A comparison to the HD650 would be much appreciated.

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #135 of 500
A number of people have asked for comparisons to HD-600 and HD-650.  Here's my 2 cents: 

I haven't listened to the HD-600, but I have heard the HD-650.  I've read that the LCD2 has a similar signature to HD-650 and HD-600 has a similar signature to Hifiman HE-500.  To me, the RS-220 sounds more like the LCD2 than the HE-500.  More directly, it sounds to me like the HD-650 that I had for a while.  Lush midrange, good bass, recessed treble  (which I now like more than I did when I had the HD 650).  I find I can listen at extremely low volume and still feel I'm enjoying the musicality, and getting pretty much the full range. 

But I'm getting a medium-pitched whine when the headset is paired with the transmitter.  I get this even when there's no source connected to the transmitter.  I've begun to notice this more and more, and it's beginning to really bother me.  Anyone else getting this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back