Sennheiser RS160, 170 ,180... Anyone?
Sep 3, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #421 of 633
Hi tapedeck,

I've shared your issue with an engineer colleague who worked on this product and below are his recommendations:

1. Please check that the audio cable is properly connected. Also check whether the Right balance button on the HDR 180 is stuck or sunk in (i.e. always activated). This may result in the Right channel being louder than the Left.

2. The cable may be defective. You may check this by using another cable, if you have one. 

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Problem with RS 180.

I just got my RS180 30th August from Amazon Germany.( Sold by Amazon EU sarl  ) with elation and high hope.

Since yesterday I have been struggling to set up. (When I used mu old fathful HDR45 it was a breeze whether I am on TV channels or I switched to DVD)

I get separate vocals from the instruments and often the sound came from the right whether TV or DVD.
( am using Pioneer Plasma PDP436HDG ) The sound was either on the right or sound from both sides came on but did not sound normal.

Today after reading the manual from the disc  I tried to fifddle with the Transmitter and the Headphone and when  eventually I pulled and pushed the jack to the Input of the Receiver, both Right and Left channels came on from the DVD   But when I switched to TV channel with the TV Remote (with the Jack to the Receiver Input undisturbed) only the Right channel had sound on despite pressing down balance L and R buttons on the Headphone the only sound I head was still from the Right channel.

I even tried pressing the ALC button on the Trasmitter when my Headphone was One meter away to get balance for both channels but to no avail.

Because of the trial and tribulation I missed Michael Jackson programme on TV;!

What can I do to make sure that whether I switch to TV or DVD the sound should come both from the Left and RIght channels and also at Balanced.levels.
I also find the buttons on the Right Ear-cup a chore and perplexing but that is nothing I can do. I wasn't aware of that. Comparatively my old HDR45 was a breeze.

As I cannot go back into the past anyone to share solutions? Perhaps Rosmadi; sorry to tax you; can chip in and offer solutions.

Is the Inlet of the Pioneer Receiver causing the problem at all?

Thanks

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Sep 3, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #422 of 633
Hi,I'm not an audiophile and this is my first post on here. I just bought a pair of RS180s and think they are great. I am using them at moment primarily with iPhone and iPod (compressed music I know). Can someone tell me if I should have setting on transmitter at 0 or -8 db for listening to iPod?
Also I read that some of you have small portable amplifier plugged into your iPods and RS180s. The forums were written couple of years ago on these and also small portable wireless transmitters to enable iPod and RS180 to be used outdoors beyond the normal transmitter base unit range. Can someone suggest any good not too expensive portable plug in amps and also wireless transmitters to use with these headphones?
Ideally i will try these headphones with uncompressed CDs through a hifi stereo sometime soon too.
I think volume and power button placement is awful by the way but if i have volume set as i like i dont have to adjust on headset too often. Thanks for help.

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #423 of 633
Thank you very much Rosmadi,

I tried the advices given and true enought the cables was the cause.

The SOUND of the RS180 is FANTASTIC !. Could not have asked for more

Drawback are the buttons as I have to take off the Headphone to adjust as they are not user-friendly distinguished by "touch sensing" .

As regards reception I can only walk out of my bedroom 8 feet from my Trasnsmitter and out LEFT of the door for another 10 feet signal is disturbed and sound is off and comes on when I turn my head towards the direction of the Transmitter. With my old HDR45 I can walk 30 feet from my bedroom door and there is no disruption in sound.The route that I walk is like an L where the short length represent 8 feet and the long length represent 10 feet with a wall.

Is there any problem or is it normal.

Thank you once again for all your time..

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #424 of 633
Hi RS180 Richard,

When using the RS 180 with your iPhone or iPod, you should set the attenuator switch to 0 dB.

Quote:
Hi,I'm not an audiophile and this is my first post on here. I just bought a pair of RS180s and think they are great. I am using them at moment primarily with iPhone and iPod (compressed music I know). Can someone tell me if I should have setting on transmitter at 0 or -8 db for listening to iPod?

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Sep 4, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #425 of 633
Glad to know you've identified the cause. We've received similar feedback on the buttons and this has been sent to our product management team.

As for the range, the RS 180 offers up to 100m line of sight connection. This means that should you experience any drop outs, the digital signal was either shielded or there could be interfering devices in the area. In this instance, the wall is the likely cause as the digital signal could not penetrate through it.

Quote:
Thank you very much Rosmadi,

I tried the advices given and true enought the cables was the cause.

The SOUND of the RS180 is FANTASTIC !. Could not have asked for more

Drawback are the buttons as I have to take off the Headphone to adjust as they are not user-friendly distinguished by "touch sensing" .

As regards reception I can only walk out of my bedroom 8 feet from my Trasnsmitter and out LEFT of the door for another 10 feet signal is disturbed and sound is off and comes on when I turn my head towards the direction of the Transmitter. With my old HDR45 I can walk 30 feet from my bedroom door and there is no disruption in sound.The route that I walk is like an L where the short length represent 8 feet and the long length represent 10 feet with a wall.

Is there any problem or is it normal.

Thank you once again for all your time..

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #426 of 633
Thanks Rosmadi.
Can I ask if anyone knows if portable Kleer wireless transmitters such as S5T+ are still available to use iPod with RS180 headphones outdoors? I can't see any Kleer transmitters on the Internet now, but 2 or 3 years ago they were being sold? I'd like to source one for outdoor use. Hope you can help.

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #428 of 633
Any Sennheiser RS experts out there? I've a couple of questions. I recently got a set of RS180 headphones which are sounding great even though I'm mostly not using them to their full potential. Generally I'm using them for listening to my iTunes compressed audio iPhone music. The questions are, I've seen some forum posts alluding to plugging in miniature portable amplifiers into iPods and iPhones to make music sound better. Do the RS180s already have built in amplifiers in the headphone ear cup area? So am I right in thinking there is no advantage for me to get a miniature amp to connect to iPhone then?
Second point was, anyone heard in more recent years of portable wireless transmitters with Kleer technology, such as that which RS180s employ? Thanks for help.
Rich

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #429 of 633
I have a similar question about using RS180s with an Arcam rWave USB dongle to enable transmission directly from a laptop to the headphones. This would be handy for traveling.

My more detailed question is here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/headphones-portable-music/1817203-arcam-rwave-sennheiser-rs180-headphones-kleer-association-possible.html

I've read that in theory it's possible but no sign of anything online about how to successfully associate the rWave to the headphones

Thanks

MG

Oct 8, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #430 of 633
  Just picked up the RS 170. I find there is a low-level, high-pitched hum/buzz/whine audible in moments of silence and sometimes when there is faint audio, like quiet talking, strings playing softly, etc. It's also audible when no source is plugged into the base unit. It seems to be concentrated in the right ear, and I don't experience it with my HD598s, so it's not the source. I've seen several other reports of this, so it may be normal. However, if I flip the attenuator switch to 0, just touching the back of the unit near the source jack causes a loud hum to come and go in the headphones. It's hard to believe that's normal.

I've tried reassociating the headphones, different sources, plugging in at different locations in the house, different batteries including non-rechargeable ones, etc. Nothing changed the behavior. I'm just wondering if it would be worth it to exchange for a new set.

I have the exact same problem as poster above. There's a high pitched noise coming from the right ear, even when the headphones are turned off and there's no source plugged in (as long as the transmitter is turned on). Pressing the power button on the transmitter once (which I believe is changing channels) changes the frequency of the high pitched noise. Similar to above I've already tried reassociating, using different batteries and trying different locations in the house.

I've already returned my first RS 170 because of this problem, but the new one has it as well which leaves me to think it's not broken but normal.. I can't imagine that though seeing as it's extremely annoying and I don't see that many complaints about it.

Dec 7, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #431 of 633
Hi, also my first post here. In fact I registered just to post about the Sennheiser RS 180.

Normally for portable audio I use Etymotic ER-4P in-ear-canal headphones, but needed something different just for TV use when my wife and daughter are asleep. Early last week I picked up the RS 116 II for cheap, and quite honestly I found them unusable. Movement caused hiss and sometimes even just sitting there the hiss would come back. Also, even when the signal was clean, the quality just didn't seem up to par. It really did sound like I was listening to FM radio at best, and sometimes it was a hissy mess at worst. This is something I can tolerate with wireless home telephones, but for headphones, not a chance.

So, I returned them. The store I bought them from usually doesn't take back headphones, but luckily this time they let it slide and took them back. In the meantime I just got a cheap extension cord and was using regular headphones with them.

Then I picked up the RS 180.

Some pros:

TOTALLY different experience. The signal is absolutely clear with no fade-in or fade-out, and no hiss to try to tune out, which isn't surprising given the superior technology. Range is also very good. I can go to the next room or up a floor and still get clear signal. Only when I go further does the sound cut out. Furthermore, the cans overall are decent quality. They are actually easily the best cans I currently have, since I have typically purchased headphones in the double-digit $ range for TV/laptop/tablet video watching and the like. I'm not sure what the frequency response curve is like with these, but they do sound a lot "flatter" than most of my other purchases (excluding the Etymotics). It seems a lot of lower end cans artificially augment the bass, which is annoying because the extra bass sounds unnatural, and most of the lower priced cans don't have good quality bass to begin with so augmenting it just makes them sound that much worse.

I also like the fact the batteries are user replaceable, and that they are eneloops. Eneloops are near ubiquitous these days, so easy to find, and convenient to recharge using external chargers if necessary.

I also appreciate the fact that the pads on the headphones are easily replaced, and that replacements are widely available. Not sure about the RS 180 / HDR 180, but in my experience the first thing to go on most lower end to perhaps mid-end headphones is the earpad fabric.

It was also very nice to see the 1/4" headphone jack adapter as well as the 3.5 mm to RCA stereo adapter and 3.5 mm cord included. These are things that you often have to buy yourself. They're usually inexpensive if you look hard enough, but it's a pain find for cheap sometimes when you need them quick.

Some cons:

1. I don't understand why the power button is placed between the volume buttons. Basically what that means is that every time you attempt to change the volume, you run the risk of shutting off the headphones. That design choice makes no sense to me.

2. There is actually a bit of audio delay. I don't actually usually notice it, but if I really look for it, I can sometimes notice it. Because of this, and because there is the small risk of audio dropouts, I wouldn't recommend this for mission critical stuff, but for most consumer usage, the audio delay present is basically irrelevant.

3. The paper instruction manual (quick guide) isn't very good IMHO. It would have been nicer to have some actual text explaining what those pictures actually mean.

4. The build quality of the headphones and the transmitter isn't as "beefy" as I was expecting, but then again, the headphones are quite light.

5. The are open design, which is fine by me, but some people may not like having the audio bleed into the surroundings. I said they're OK for me though because even with normal TV watching volume levels, the audio bleed is minimal enough that it doesn't wake my infant daughter even when she's lying on the couch next to me. 

Overall:

I like these headphones very, very much. So much so that I want to get a supplementary set of the HDR 180 wireless headphones for this setup so that my wife can watch TV at the same time, when my daughter is asleep nearby. The main con there that I've read about is that audio volume control is global, across headsets. If I turn up the headphones, both sets of phones will go up in volume, and vice versa. This is annoying because our hearing isn't the same. But I'll eventually give it a shot anyway. Also, there is the issue of charging two sets, since there is only one charger, but I suppose I could alternate the charging, or just use an external charger. It would have been nice to have a cheap charging stand available though.

The main problem is that here in Canada the usual pricing of the headset is roughly twice that of the same headset in the US. No thanks. I can understand differing pricing, but when the delta is 100%, that's just too much, so for now I'll continue to wait for a sale up here in Canada.

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #432 of 633
Hi, also my first post here. In fact I registered just to post about the Sennheiser RS 180.

Normally for portable audio I use Etymotic ER-4P in-ear-canal headphones, but needed something different just for TV use when my wife and daughter are asleep. Early last week I picked up the RS 116 II for cheap, and quite honestly I found them unusable. Movement caused hiss and sometimes even just sitting there the hiss would come back. Also, even when the signal was clean, the quality just didn't seem up to par. It really did sound like I was listening to FM radio at best, and sometimes it was a hissy mess at worst. This is something I can tolerate with wireless home telephones, but for headphones, not a chance.

So, I returned them. The store I bought them from usually doesn't take back headphones, but luckily this time they let it slide and took them back. In the meantime I just got a cheap extension cord and was using regular headphones with them.

Then I picked up the RS 180.

Some pros:

TOTALLY different experience. The signal is absolutely clear with no fade-in or fade-out, and no hiss to try to tune out, which isn't surprising given the superior technology. Range is also very good. I can go to the next room or up a floor and still get clear signal. Only when I go further does the sound cut out. Furthermore, the cans overall are decent quality. They are actually easily the best cans I currently have, since I have typically purchased headphones in the double-digit $ range for TV/laptop/tablet video watching and the like. I'm not sure what the frequency response curve is like with these, but they do sound a lot "flatter" than most of my other purchases (excluding the Etymotics). It seems a lot of lower end cans artificially augment the bass, which is annoying because the extra bass sounds unnatural, and most of the lower priced cans don't have good quality bass to begin with so augmenting it just makes them sound that much worse.

I also like the fact the batteries are user replaceable, and that they are eneloops. Eneloops are near ubiquitous these days, so easy to find, and convenient to recharge using external chargers if necessary.

I also appreciate the fact that the pads on the headphones are easily replaced, and that replacements are widely available. Not sure about the RS 180 / HDR 180, but in my experience the first thing to go on most lower end to perhaps mid-end headphones is the earpad fabric.

It was also very nice to see the 1/4" headphone jack adapter as well as the 3.5 mm to RCA stereo adapter and 3.5 mm cord included. These are things that you often have to buy yourself. They're usually inexpensive if you look hard enough, but it's a pain find for cheap sometimes when you need them quick.

Some cons:

1. I don't understand why the power button is placed between the volume buttons. Basically what that means is that every time you attempt to change the volume, you run the risk of shutting off the headphones. That design choice makes no sense to me.

2. There is actually a bit of audio delay. I don't actually usually notice it, but if I really look for it, I can sometimes notice it. Because of this, and because there is the small risk of audio dropouts, I wouldn't recommend this for mission critical stuff, but for most consumer usage, the audio delay present is basically irrelevant.

3. The paper instruction manual (quick guide) isn't very good IMHO. It would have been nicer to have some actual text explaining what those pictures actually mean.

4. The build quality of the headphones and the transmitter isn't as "beefy" as I was expecting, but then again, the headphones are quite light.

5. The are open design, which is fine by me, but some people may not like having the audio bleed into the surroundings. I said they're OK for me though because even with normal TV watching volume levels, the audio bleed is minimal enough that it doesn't wake my infant daughter even when she's lying on the couch next to me. 

Overall:

I like these headphones very, very much. So much so that I want to get a supplementary set of the HDR 180 wireless headphones for this setup so that my wife can watch TV at the same time, when my daughter is asleep nearby. The main con there that I've read about is that audio volume control is global, across headsets. If I turn up the headphones, both sets of phones will go up in volume, and vice versa. This is annoying because our hearing isn't the same. But I'll eventually give it a shot anyway. Also, there is the issue of charging two sets, since there is only one charger, but I suppose I could alternate the charging, or just use an external charger. It would have been nice to have a cheap charging stand available though.

The main problem is that here in Canada the usual pricing of the headset is roughly twice that of the same headset in the US. No thanks. I can understand differing pricing, but when the delta is 100%, that's just too much, so for now I'll continue to wait for a sale up here in Canada.

I have a set of 180's and love the sound quality. I want to get another set but is it true that changing the volume on one set changes the volume on the other one? This doesn't make sense.

Jan 4, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #434 of 633
HI there I was wondering if you could remove the sides (legs?) of the TX180 transmitter. I want to do this because I want to put it behind the tv in the bedroom, out of sight.

I would then use the dock of the RS170 to charge the RS180 headset, Ive read here that that would be possible to do.

Greetings

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #435 of 633
  HI there I was wondering if you could remove the sides (legs?) of the TX180 transmitter. I want to do this because I want to put it behind the tv in the bedroom, out of sight.

I would then use the dock of the RS170 to charge the RS180 headset, Ive read here that that would be possible to do.

Greetings

It may be possible to disassemble the unit to get to the screws holding the legs to the transmitter. I wonder if doing so would interfere with its transmit strength, especially placed behind your t.v.

You have to be able to reach the transmitter easily because you must manually turn it On and Off and make selections for gain and filtering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back