Sennheiser PX 200-II vs Audio-Technica ATH-ES7
Jul 17, 2010 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

budgetboy

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for a pair of portables to go with my Cowon S9 for biking and skateboarding. Top priorities are durability, comfort and sound quality. Comfort is great, but not at the cost of them falling off my head, so stability is big.

What would you recommend?

Jul 17, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 9
I'd opt for the PX100-II because they are alot lighter to wear for biking and boarding. I bike and have the 100 and ES7. I really want to hear
the upgraded II's because the regular 100 sound great for a light portable. And they fold up which the ES7 don't. You can wear the ES7's
on your neck flattened out, but the PX100-II is really what you want for active sports being alot lighter.

Jul 17, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 9
And check out the iGrado too; it stays in the sweetspot of your ear which will tend to sound better as it doesn't move around on your ear like the PX100-II as it clips around the ear.

Jul 17, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 9
Both are closed, ES7s have poor isolation though. RIght now I'm using IE8s but theres too much wind. I like sennheisers, which are dark, so i might not like grados, which are bright.

Jul 17, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 9
The PX100's are open.  Their brother, the PX200's, are closed.  The ES7 of course is closed.  I have them all, and a Cowon too.

They all sound great, the 200's the worst.  (the -II models are supposed to be better)

Anyway you shouldn't wear closed phones nor IEMs under a bike helmet; the only choice is the PX100's .

Comfort, stability, and SQ to spare.  Senns gift to the world.

I use ES7 in the gym (where I need a closed phone, and the cups swivel so they pack flat in my gym bag), PX200 on airplanes (again, need closed, but also folding), and PX100 in the hotel room when I travel (SQ is the most important feature, and I want open phones).  If I travel in my own car I bring HF-2's for the hotel (cups swivel so they pack flat too) and ES7's (again, swivel flat) if I plan to go to the hotel gym (where again, I need closed).

Jul 18, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #8 of 9
Another one recommending the PX100 II. I own both PX100 and ATH ES7 and I agree with the other people saying that you would not want too much isolation. I have not heard the PX100 II except for a few seconds at an electronics store here in Japan, but I do like my PX100.

Also the Sennheisers are much lighter than the Audio Technica phones. Soundwise I do not think that they are very far from each other. Bass is a bit heavier on the PX100 and on both highs are not very prominent. I also own a S9 and the PX100 work great with them as do the ATH ES7, so it might be a tie there...

For the most portable and not too isolating solution - I suggest you go with the Sennheiser PX100 II!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back