Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Mar 26, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #2,746 of 3,671
Picked these up today and grabbed one of these cables as well - http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F2CU033/ - I figured that if it didn't work I could still use it to charge the headphones and other legacy micro-B devices from my USB-C charger so it wouldn't be wasted.

I'm pleased to report that it works as I hoped! You need to plug in the headphones powered off, set the USB mode to 'Power supply: Charge the other connected device" when prompted by Android, then power on the headphones. Plug n play DAC out of USB-C :D

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #2,747 of 3,671
Thanks, very helpful. So if I am looking for a real wireless call solution, I probably need to get these AND a bluetooth call headset :frowning2:

My current workaround to stay 100% wireless is to use the mic from my external Logitech webcam at home, which is similar or better than the inline mic from many headphone cables. When mobile, you can try your laptop's mic in combination with listening via the Sennheiser. I'd try that before deciding to acquire a separate headset for calls.

Edit: Logitech = Logitech webcam

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #2,748 of 3,671
Has anyone tried or had any success plugging these directly to an Android phone via USB and using them as a DAC? I have a Nexus 6P, which has a USB-C connector. There are USB-C to micro-B cables readily available (Apple even sells them as the new Macbook has a USB-C port) and from what I've read a USB-C DAC should 'just work'.

Pretty sure my phone will support it as my Nexus 5 is running the same ROM and that works with my iBasso D-Zero using a micro-B to mini-B cable, but I've not got a USB-C to mini-B or adapter cable to test the 6P with. Also a little concerned that the power draw from the phone might be too much, especially if you can't turn off USB charging?

I've done this via USB Audio Player Pro. It's read as 24 bit, 48kHz DAC.

Mar 26, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #2,749 of 3,671
My current workaround to stay 100% wireless is to use the mic from my external Logitech webcam at home, which is similar or better than the inline mic from many headphone cables. When mobile, you can try your laptop's mic in combination with listening via the Sennheiser. I'd try that before deciding to acquire a separate headset for calls.

Thats not bad - but (just to pick a point because we're on a forum
tongue_smile.gif
) one, when I'm mobile I often want to make a call from my phone, not my laptop and 2) portability is key! so just having something to just turn on and "use" is my goal. The Jabra recommended by Wirecutter seems to be not nearly as audiophile quality, but the phone is better... Yikes.

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #2,750 of 3,671
I recently bought a set of over ear wired Momentum 2.0s in "like new" condition from Amazon for about 160 USD.  They look good, sound good, and the packaging matches but I'm still paranoid they are not authentic.

For people who are 100% sure they have an authentic set of M2 AEGs, how much does your set weigh without the wire?  I got 216 grams for mine.

What does your driver look like with the ear pad removed?  Is there a disassembly thread you can direct me to?  I posted a link to Imgur for what mine look like with out the ear pad.  I can send you a link if you wish.

I just want to verify I have the genuine Sennheiser article.

Mar 27, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #2,751 of 3,671

Eh how bad can the M2 mic audio be if you're preferring a webcam mic? Last night I made a Google Voice call over WiFi to a land line on the other side of the world using my M2 via bluetooth and the other party said I was "extremely clear", and there were no dropouts, even when I absent-mindedly left my phone on the sofa and wandered into the kitchen to make a cup of tea.

I've just spent 20 minutes searching in vain for an Android audio recorder app that can use a bluetooth device. I found only one and that listed it as an experimental feature requiring the paid version. If anyone knows a free app that will allow me to record myself talking crap into my M2 mic to play back and check the quality, I'd be interested to see how it sounds.

Mar 27, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #2,752 of 3,671

Eh how bad can the M2 mic audio be if you're preferring a webcam mic? Last night I made a Google Voice call over WiFi to a land line on the other side of the world using my M2 via bluetooth and the other party said I was "extremely clear", and there were no dropouts, even when I absent-mindedly left my phone on the sofa and wandered into the kitchen to make a cup of tea.

I've just spent 20 minutes searching in vain for an Android audio recorder app that can use a bluetooth device. I found only one and that listed it as an experimental feature requiring the paid version. If anyone knows a free app that will allow me to record myself talking crap into my M2 mic to play back and check the quality, I'd be interested to see how it sounds.

I'm kinda' with you on this. I talk on the phone with these ALL the time, and can confirm (from reports of people on the other end) that (to them) they sound no better or worse than simply talking from my phone. I often pair mine with a (Verizon) Galaxy Note 4. While I have NOT recorded myself talking from the headphones, "OK Google" seems to understand me very well also. 

I had never thought about the quality of the mic on these in the past because it was never mentioned in any conversation I have had while using these. It wasn't until I was reading about people complaining of the mic quality on this thread that I started asking all those that I talk to, and again, I found that there was no complaint, nor could people even really tell that I was not just "talking through the phone mic".
  I recently bought a set of over ear wired Momentum 2.0s in "like new" condition from Amazon for about 160 USD.  They look good, sound good, and the packaging matches but I'm still paranoid they are not authentic.

For people who are 100% sure they have an authentic set of M2 AEGs, how much does your set weigh without the wire?  I got 216 grams for mine.

What does your driver look like with the ear pad removed?  Is there a disassembly thread you can direct me to?  I posted a link to Imgur for what mine look like with out the ear pad.  I can send you a link if you wish.

I just want to verify I have the genuine Sennheiser article.

In my response, you must understand, I am definately not trying to disrespect you, but you asked so here goes:

If you find that they sound good, and are built very well, chances are you DON'T have a fake. Fake Sennheiser headphones will (more than likely) never sound as good as the originals. If they could make them sound that good, I would argue that they could simply start a company of their own and sell them legit. Also, if you find them to be very pleasing, why are you really that worried about being authentic or not? Just enjoy them, or send them back if it means that much to you. I have looked all over and cannot find anything about fake m2 wired. I have found plenty of threads about the m1, however.

The reason I am saying all this is because you knowingly bought an item from a source that cannot be verified as authentic. And you bought some headphones at a highly discounted price, that are not brand new. Buying from Amazon (used), and Ebay is "buyer beware" territory.

That said, I don't own the wired version. I have 2 sets of the wireless version, and cannot help you with measurements or weights, and etc... I DO think that if they are legit you got a really good deal on them. Congratulations! If the box has the correct authentation code (you can check on Sennheiser site) then just register them (if they haven't already been), and enjoy them with a warranty of 2 years max, or 1 year mininum. They aren't old enough yet to be out of warranty even if you bought the oldest pair on the market. Knowing this (and that you said they sound good) you should just enjoy them, and if they break down, you can simply send them directly to Sennheiser for a replacement.
I've done this via USB Audio Player Pro. It's read as 24 bit, 48kHz DAC.

I agree with you. My experience with the M2 wireless has bee plug and play on ALL devices I have tried it with (except the iPod touch which I don't have thunderbolt otg cable for). I really like the USB Audio Player Pro for its ability to output 24/48. But, it is not alone in this ability. Hiby Music is another android app that does the same thing (and it is free).

They can do this because they pack their own USB audio driver, and bypass the driver built in to android (which is only capable, by design, of 16/48). It also stands to reason that unless you are using one of these apps on any android OS before Kitkat, they probably won't work at all. Android OS didn't have this built into the system until Kitkat, but some phone makers might have baked it in themselves. 

This is a pretty good read about USB audio and android: http://apcmag.com/the-ins-and-outs-of-android-usb-audio.htm/

Mar 27, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #2,754 of 3,671

Thanks for the insight!

What you *could* do is install the Skype app (which I dont often use) and then call the test number and hear it back. You can also call another Google Voice number, leave a message and that creates a playback-able mp3/audio file you can hear?

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #2,757 of 3,671
Got it, false alarm. It's part of the driver housing and doesn't cover the driver itself. Note : it's not particularly easy to get the ear pad (fixation band) back on!!

Thank you! I didn't want to open mine up, but my rev02 headphones did have the same sticker tag as you're showing us here, the rev01 did not have it at all. Now we know what that little bump is as well :blush:.

Mar 29, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #2,758 of 3,671
what is that... thing on the driver?

Mar 30, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #2,760 of 3,671
Yah, if you could avoid taking the ear pad off I'd highly recommend it.
The tight stretchy material that secures the pad to the driver housing gets a little bit stretched when you slowly pull them off. It's a challenge to feed it and stretch it back into the narrow hard plastic valley on the housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back