Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Apr 12, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #2,778 of 3,671
I am SUPER SATISFIED with these. I was afraid the batteries & builtin amp weren't going to be able to drive these, but actually they sound better with their internal amp than connected to an HTC One M8. Being able to walk around town and go through subways without ever caring about the cable being tangled or in the way is just amazing. It's like being given a degree of freedom I've never had before.

I'm also amazed at the technology. Perhaps bluetooth has really grown up these days, I don't hear any glitch or noise. The noise cancellation is great when working in an open office, I can't even hear myself typing which is surreal.

This was by far my best purchase of portable headphones so far.

Btw, small side-note. It seems (am I wrong here?) that the M2 Wireless have a thicker foam padding? When I wear my wired M2's my ears touch the driver (really the plastic outside the driver), but not with the M2 wireless. I didn't even see this mentioned in the spec, but it's fantastic. The slight irritation of my ears due to prolonged touching the frame of the headphone was what reduced the total time I could spend listening to the M2 wired's.

Probably the only downside about this is that I'm about to get hooked on wireless and will never want to go back to wired again. :)

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #2,779 of 3,671
These are probably some of the best BT headphones out there bar none.

But at their price they are truly a joke. Sennheiser knows they could charge this much when the field was small. But now with all the other companies coming out with comparable BT headsets, both large and small companies, they are in for a rude awakening.

I'm not saying they have to be $50 like all those cheap A**&&zon knockoffs. But the price is laughable. It is worth maybe $300, which is expensive but a reasonable figure if you think about competing against all the wired. Basically lets be generous and assume you add a 30% premium for BT (which is really high, but for arguments sake). Wired phones at this caliber would be $200 (thinksound on1, RBH, ATH, Sony, Bose, list goes on etc; there are many lists out there on this forum and the web). So again generously these should be well under $300.

I congratulate Sennheiser for making a top of the line model against which every company competes - and I welcome their fall from grace when they realize they were fleecing us just for the privilege of being early adopters, and can't wait til they discount the M2 wireless *heavily* in order to really prove their value (since value is not just equal to "the best" but a combination/algorithm of variables).

Apr 12, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #2,780 of 3,671
  These are probably some of the best BT headphones out there bar none.

But at their price they are truly a joke. Sennheiser knows they could charge this much when the field was small. But now with all the other companies coming out with comparable BT headsets, both large and small companies, they are in for a rude awakening.

I'm not saying they have to be $50 like all those cheap A**&&zon knockoffs. But the price is laughable. It is worth maybe $300, which is expensive but a reasonable figure if you think about competing against all the wired. Basically lets be generous and assume you add a 30% premium for BT (which is really high, but for arguments sake). Wired phones at this caliber would be $200 (thinksound on1, RBH, ATH, Sony, Bose, list goes on etc; there are many lists out there on this forum and the web). So again generously these should be well under $300.

I congratulate Sennheiser for making a top of the line model against which every company competes - and I welcome their fall from grace when they realize they were fleecing us just for the privilege of being early adopters, and can't wait til they discount the M2 wireless *heavily* in order to really prove their value (since value is not just equal to "the best" but a combination/algorithm of variables).

So what you're saying is they should cost the same or less the non-Bluetooth model. Meaning that adding all the Bluetooth tech to the headphone should either be free or make the headphone cheaper. I want you to pause for a moment and think that over. 

Also, spoiler alert, the reason "wired headphones at this caliber" cost less is because of the inherent quality issues with BT, even aptX. 

As for "but a reasonable figure if you think about competing against all the wired."

Lemme try this in bold: they ain't competing against wired, doof. The normal $300 momentum M2 competes against wired. These are wireless.

Come on, pause and think before you post. These are a $300 headphone with a BT receiver, noise-cancelling, microphone, battery, and on-board controls added. $500 might be a touch high, but compare apples to apples by stacking them against the other BT headphones and they're definitely the best of the bunch. 

Apr 12, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #2,781 of 3,671
You have an amazing capacity to both troll-ishly insult me while not reading my post. Because otherwise you'd never say anything as dumb as this: "So what you're saying is they should cost the same or less the non-Bluetooth model".

Read again what I said and get back to me:

Basically lets be generous and assume you add a 30% premium for BT

Apr 12, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #2,782 of 3,671
  You have an amazing capacity to both troll-ishly insult me while not reading my post. Because otherwise you'd never say anything as dumb as this: "So what you're saying is they should cost the same or less the non-Bluetooth model".

There's like a 200% premium on Beats headphones, so what's your point? With Sennheiser you know what you're getting, and it's not a freaking fashion statement.. 

Apr 12, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #2,785 of 3,671

Two things.

1) This is more than BT. Remember they're adding the receiver, DAC/amp, battery, microphone, and media controls.

2) I did read that, but also that you think it should be under $300. Therefore, according do you, adding a 30% premium to a $300 headphone means it should cost less than $300. 

You're also ignoring the fact that you pointlessly whined about how these sound compared to wired headphones, proving a complete and total lack of awareness of a) what these are competing with and b) why there's sound quality degradation with these compared to wired headphones. 

So I already read it, disregarded it for being pointless, and addressed the slew of other things you brought up, which you chose to completely ignore in your reply to me. 

That was fun, take care and byebye. Not gonna bother arguing with ya any more.

Apr 12, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #2,786 of 3,671

There's like a 200% premium on Beats headphones, so what's your point? With Sennheiser you know what you're getting, and it's not a freaking fashion statement.. 

ALL bluetooth headphones are expensive compared to similar sounding wired headphones. Look at anything else, from the Zik to the VModa to Beats Wireless to the Sony MDR-1RBT. Dude's acting like you can compare BT to wired headphones and make price complaints. Shop around and nearly any mid-fi BT headphone is in the $400 area, give or take. BT just doesn't sound as good as a direct wire, no surprise there. You can't compare them to a $300 wired headphone though (well, you can, just plug them in and hey surprise the M2 sounds like a $300 wired headphone). 

What matters, IMO, is that they sound head and shoulders above any BT headphone I've tried, plus they're super comfy and the battery lasts all my work day without struggle.

Apr 13, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #2,787 of 3,671

Two things.

1) This is more than BT. Remember they're adding the receiver, DAC/amp, battery, microphone, and media controls.

2) I did read that, but also that you think it should be under $300. Therefore, according do you, adding a 30% premium to a $300 headphone means it should cost less than $300. 

You're also ignoring the fact that you pointlessly whined about how these sound compared to wired headphones, proving a complete and total lack of awareness of a) what these are competing with and b) why there's sound quality degradation with these compared to wired headphones. 

So I already read it, disregarded it for being pointless, and addressed the slew of other things you brought up, which you chose to completely ignore in your reply to me. 

That was fun, take care and byebye. Not gonna bother arguing with ya any more.

You're still missing my point:

for a $300 wired headphone, this one barely competes with what I detailed above (ATH, Sony, RBH, Thinksoud ON1, etc) which start lower - say $200-$300. Hence I start with the thought that these should be $250ish, max, as wired.

Now, I AGREE with you that there is adding a lot for the wireless version (BT, DAC, etc). I suggest this addition should be 30%, no more. Again, other companies have managed to make the jump to wireless without a 30% premium, but lets play along and assume fanboys will pay for the Sennheiser name things they won't pay for other companies.

So, lets assume $250 * 1.3 = $325 maximum.. Not $399. Thats all I'm saying. Ciao, regazza.

Apr 13, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #2,788 of 3,671

Now, I AGREE with you that there is adding a lot for the wireless version (BT, DAC, etc). I suggest this addition should be 30%, no more. Again, other companies have managed to make the jump to wireless without a 30% premium, but lets play along and assume fanboys will pay for the Sennheiser name things they won't pay for other companies.

Where'd you get 30% from?

The big point that almost every M2W detractor misses is that there isn't a whole lot/anything on the market from "other companies" that is a) wireless, b) noise cancelling, c) has the least amount of variance between wired/wireless/ANC modes. There's more to it than wireless/not wireless.

For some reason, people want to use the headset as a professional recording device, and the ANC in lieu of earplugs - it falls short there. I also think those are absolutely ludicrous requests, particularly the recording bit. But if those are the complaints, then I think that's a sign the headset nailed the fundamentals.

Sure, there may be a set that does any individual thing better than the M2W - but there aren't many/any that do all of them. The counterargument to that is "well, I don't want those features" - sucks for you. Not the point.

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #2,789 of 3,671
  Where'd you get 30% from?

The big point that almost every M2W detractor misses is that there isn't a whole lot/anything on the market from "other companies" that is a) wireless, b) noise cancelling, c) has the least amount of variance between wired/wireless/ANC modes. There's more to it than wireless/not wireless.

For some reason, people want to use the headset as a professional recording device, and the ANC in lieu of earplugs - it falls short there. I also think those are absolutely ludicrous requests, particularly the recording bit. But if those are the complaints, then I think that's a sign the headset nailed the fundamentals.

Sure, there may be a set that does any individual thing better than the M2W - but there aren't many/any that do all of them. The counterargument to that is "well, I don't want those features" - sucks for you. Not the point.

I agree with you on this point. I'm not trying to dog the other person, but if you don't find the price range acceptable, there are plenty of other options out there that might suit you best. I, personally, find having all the features on the table (and does ALL of them well), worth every penny I spent on mine. Would I like to have paid less? Absolutely! You have to remember that in this world (audiophile), you will always pay more for diminishing returns. That is not to say that I believe Sennheiser jacks up the price JUST because they can like others in the industry (Bose, Beats, etc...). I believe they price their headphones according to the quality at which they are made, and the technology available in the market at that time (which also makes manufacturing costs higher). I am sure that at some point there will be some headphones that come out that can do all the things that these do, at which point I believe the price point will drop to compete. But for now, they are the top dog insomuch as the features they have.

This headphone does everything that it DOES very well. Better (IMO) than most/all others in the market. Are there headphones that sound better? Sure! But do they help your life in so many different ways that the M2 wireless do? I am not trying to convince you that you are wrong, and I am right! I am only trying to explain (maybe even on behalf of others) why I think they are worth the price-tag on them.

If you like the sound signature of these headphones, then pick up a pair of M1 (wired) for about $130, and enjoy your music. I still have my M1s, and I'm here to tell you, there is not a TON of difference in sound between them (though there is SOME. Bass is looser, highs are rolled off more). 

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #2,790 of 3,671

You're still missing my point:

for a $300 wired headphone, this one barely competes with what I detailed above (ATH, Sony, RBH, Thinksoud ON1, etc) which start lower - say $200-$300. Hence I start with the thought that these should be $250ish, max, as wired.

So, lets assume $250 * 1.3 = $325 maximum.. Not $399. Thats all I'm saying. Ciao, regazza.

First of all, I could not disagree with you more that it's a $200 wired headphone. It's absolutely a $300 wired and to list it alongside Bose is just comical. But then you're now hedging on $50 which is hilarious.

Secondly, just outta curiosity, how much do you know about headphone production? Because you're pretty solidified on this 30% number which means you obviously have in-depth and personal knowledge of how much things should cost. I'm wondering if you could offer some insight into what all, specifically, goes into the R&D and engineering for a headphone of this sort that causes a 30% rock-solid price increase.

Judging by your strict adherence to the numbers you've offered, I'm sure it means you have a perfectly good grounding for all of them rather than just making things up out of thin air. :)

Not to mention, you still miss the point. If I didn't want all the features of this headphone, I wouldn't have spent the extra money. I have significantly better headphones, and have owned significantly better headphones. I'm no Sennheiser fanboy, I sold my old HD600/650 when I found other products that were better for me. If you're telling someone on the market for wireless headphones to save money by buying wired, you're missing the point of why they're buying the wireless headphones.

The reason this is irking me is because you keep making arguments that don't apply. Stop talking about wired headphones period. That's 100% irrelevant to the M2W. It means NOTHING. The ONLY thing to compare these to are other BT headphones. Anything else is just pointless complaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back