Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Dec 5, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #2,671 of 4,902
Quick question for anyone who is using an amplifier with a high output impedance with the IE900. Is there much of a change in frequency response?, if so, how much of a difference does it make? and where does it make it? (less bass, less treble, less bass+treble?) Also, stating the output Z of the amp would be very handy.

The reason I ask is that I plan on using the IE900's with a DAC/Amp with an output Z of around 10-11 Ohms. As the IE900's are 18 Ohms and subjectively (ideally) we're looking at the amp output Z to be 1/8-1/10th (<2.2 Ohms) of the IEM I'm a bit concerned.

I could introduce the iFi IEMatch+ which will take the Z down to <2.5 or <1 Ohm depending on setting. I don't like introducing extra adaptors/cables/connections into the chain but if it's seen as advisable and would make a positive difference on keeping the FR of the IE900 true to itself then I will do it.

edit:
Found this image showing the impedance & phase curves for the IE900:
index.php

I'm assuming then that a 10 ohm output Z will not affect the FR but may at most affect transient response or ringing effects, if noticeable at all?

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #2,673 of 4,902
The UK site explicitly says made in Ireland from when they were back in stock about a week ago. I would assume then that all new stock will be from the Irish plant. Would be interesting to see if there are any differences although I would highly doubt it.

Dec 5, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #2,675 of 4,902
The UK site explicitly says made in Ireland from when they were back in stock about a week ago. I would assume then that all new stock will be from the Irish plant. Would be interesting to see if there are any differences although I would highly doubt it.
Thanks for the response. Indeed I wonder if there will be any sonic and build quality differences between the Germany and Ireland versions.

Dec 5, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #2,676 of 4,902
Thanks for the response. Indeed I wonder if there will be any sonic and build quality differences between the Germany and Ireland versions.
I'm sure they've made provisions to keep quality consistent. They haven't announced a new product or variant of the IE 900, so the customer should expect the same.

Dec 5, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #2,677 of 4,902
Not just to defend my home country (Ireland), I get the prestige associated with German engineering which dates back a long time - I'd call it an emotional bias though, and no longer founded in any real logic. As mentioned before, Sennheiser are in Ireland a long time and I've no doubt they'll pick up where Germany left off. Very different if it was being outsourced completely to a 3rd party factory with poor employment track record.

As an aside, even BMWs are no longer exclusively 'made in Germany', a few plants around the world.

But as I say, 'Made in Germany' does have a more prestigious ring compared to 'Made in Ireland'... just marketing though in my opinion and if they can ramp up production to meet demand, better for their bottom line and their consumers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 5, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #2,678 of 4,902
Yeah the BMW iX3 is made in China. I'm sure their quality control is happy enough with the final product.

Dec 5, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #2,679 of 4,902
The thing that keeps impressing me about the IE900 is the size/comfort to performance ratio. How Sennheiser could deliver sound many consider as one of the best at least in its price range (fighting with far more expensive IEMs) while also being incredible tiny and comfortable to almost anyone is beyond me. Currentely looking at the competition while my IE900 is gone and after i got used to the size its not even funny what some companys want to put in peoples ears. Highly underrated "feature" especially with high end IEMs

Dec 5, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #2,680 of 4,902
Not just to defend my home country (Ireland), I get the prestige associated with German engineering which dates back a long time - I'd call it an emotional bias though, and no longer founded in any real logic. As mentioned before, Sennheiser are in Ireland a long time and I've no doubt they'll pick up where Germany left off. Very different if it was being outsourced completely to a 3rd party factory with poor employment track record.

As an aside, even BMWs are no longer exclusively 'made in Germany', a few plants around the world.

But as I say, 'Made in Germany' does have a more prestigious ring compared to 'Made in Ireland'... just marketing in my opinion and if they can ramp up production to meet demand, better for their bottom line and their consumers.
As a German, i highly agree. :)

Dec 6, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #2,681 of 4,902
Just a heads up if I'm allowed to, in case it's of interest to anyone on this forum- I've put my IE900 (German Made) on a popular online auction site as I'm happy to live with the IE300 with a bit of EQ (just for when I need isolation) and opting for over-ear's for "sit down" listening.

HTH!

Dec 6, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #2,682 of 4,902
Today my IE300 stopped working on the left side of the driver. it now only works intermittently. Hope it doesn't happen to IE900 as well, as some others have already experienced.

Dec 6, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #2,683 of 4,902
I was able to get used to stock tips. As previously discussed those tips need time to get used to them and understand how to put on IE900.

This sound has so much details! Sometimes i think there are too much of them :) It's like a candy which is way to tasty.

Dec 6, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #2,684 of 4,902
Today my IE300 stopped working on the left side of the driver. it now only works intermittently. Hope it doesn't happen to IE900 as well, as some others have already experienced.
It happened to my IE900 last June just after the one-month test period..
Luckily, Sennheiser's warranty is efficient, and I could get a full replacement after sending back my full box.
I think, as drivers seems to be paired, it's better to send back all the box. Since then, I am using the IE900 several times a week without any issue.

Dec 6, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #2,685 of 4,902
The same happend to me three weeks ago (IE300, right driver). Had to send it back to a Sennheiser repair center in Germany. Of course, before sending it back, I isolated the issue, i.e. it was indeed the driver and nothing else (cable, dac, amp). I haven't heard anything since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back