Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jul 20, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #1,831 of 4,902
MMCX-2PIN_600x.jpg

Does anyone know if these Linsoul 2-pin to MMCX adapters work with the IE 900?

Jul 21, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #1,832 of 4,902
My very early impressions of my new ie900 over short listening sessions (I am not an audio expert btw)

The key values of this iem from my perspective: outstanding bass, and a very natural and coherent sound. Mind you that this is not a analytical iem. Nor do I think the tuning is balanced. Mids are very relaxed.

I really love it so far, much better than the undynamic incoherent thieaudio monarch (which I do not like)

Jul 21, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #1,833 of 4,902
My very early impressions of my new ie900 over short listening sessions (I am not an audio expert btw)

The key values of this iem from my perspective: outstanding bass, and a very natural and coherent sound. Mind you that this is not a analytical iem. Nor do I think the tuning is balanced. Mids are very relaxed.

I really love it so far, much better than the undynamic incoherent thieaudio monarch (which I do not like)
Good job, I think you nailed it. Basically exactly as I hear it. :)

Jul 21, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #1,834 of 4,902
Same with the IE300 & IE100 Pro. Hence my move to Shures. So far so good.

I think part of the problem is people drop so much wonga on a product they want to love for other reasons that they'll dismiss some obvious flaws.
What kind of music are you guys experiencing sybilance with?

Jul 21, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #1,836 of 4,902
I'd really like to help you but I just don't hear any with ie900. I even Googled for tracks with sibilance. One suggested track is Sara Bareilles - Come Round Soon. I agree its a "hot" track with ie900 but the s's stop at ss for me and don't go onto the full ssssssssss :wink:

Jul 21, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #1,837 of 4,902
I'd really like to help you but I just don't hear any with ie900. I even Googled for tracks with sibilance. One suggested track is Sara Bareilles - Come Round Soon. I agree its a "hot" track with ie900 but the s's stop at ss for me and don't go onto the full ssssssssss :wink:
Also, both source and tips can and do affect sibilance perception. My Sabre-DAC LG V30+ is more prone to hotness than the HiBy R8 AK4497 DAP, for example.

Jul 21, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #1,839 of 4,902
Guys, get a proper custom cable. Microphonics is completely gone!
I got Effect Audio Ares II with ConX termination and just love it. Also memory wire is more comfortable.

20210721_181353.JPG

Also compared IE900 side by side with Xelento from Xperia 1ii phone. Oh man how different are they. After IE900 you have a feeling that Xelentos don't reproduce high frequencies at all :) But man I love that Xelento bass and fit....

Amazing track to do some comparisons:
https://tidal.com/track/189051272

If I would need to decide between both I would definitely go for IE900, it feels more natural and sparkling

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #1,840 of 4,902
I got Effect Audio Ares II with ConX termination and just love it. Also memory wire is more comfortable.

20210721_181353.JPG

Also compared IE900 side by side with Xelento from Xperia 1ii phone. Oh man how different are they. After IE900 you have a feeling that Xelentos don't reproduce high frequencies at all :) But man I love that Xelento bass and fit....

If I would need to decide between both I would definitely go for IE900 feels more natural and sparkling
Weird cause in my opinion the Xelento gave bass but not a lot of it. In a way it lacked bass. What were your tracks with the bass you liked ?

Jul 21, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #1,841 of 4,902

20210721_181353.JPG

If I would need to decide between both I would definitely go for IE900, it feels more natural and sparkling
What's your take on the sound differences between the Ares and stock cable, if any? I'm one of those that isn't really bothered by the microphonics on the stock cable.

Jul 21, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #1,842 of 4,902
Well it's been a while since I've used either to properly remember. I do recall Momus being very "essy" but I do appreciate his recordings are a touch on the hotter side. Hen Ogledd also on occasions. The IE300 was definitely a bit worse for me than the IE100 Pro's but then they probably are more elevated in that region. I'm quite sensitive to it anyway.

My Shure Aonic 5's & Aonic 215's have been perfect so far, however, my Aonic 3's get a little "essy" too but not so often.

I'm sure it's not a problem for a lot of folk but it's something I can't ignore.

Jul 21, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #1,843 of 4,902
What's your take on the sound differences between the Ares and stock cable, if any? I'm one of those that isn't really bothered by the microphonics on the stock cable.
No, why should there be any difference? This is just a cable. I know that there people obsessed with nunances that are introduced by different cables but I personally: 1) generally I don't believe in this if there is no measurable effect/impact; 2) impedance combination between source and IEM needs to be very weird to get any audible impact from cable change. This was a case with Campfire Solaris but Campfire IEMs are very sensitive in general. I believe that IE900 are very stable in terms of sensitivity with 16 ohm impedance.

And at the end the full chain would play a role for a proper A/B comparison - source, termination, cable, tips, fit, isolation, volume, output power etc. There is no way I can replicate all the factors after cable change. Our ears are not sensitive measurement instruments, don't chase the change but enjoy the music.

Weird cause in my opinion the Xelento gave bass but not a lot of it. In a way it lacked bass. What were your tracks with the bass you liked ?
Pretty much every track :) Xelento has a lot of bass, check your tips fit and isolation.
For me it's a true bass head IEM. Topped only by Legend X which is way too much.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #1,844 of 4,902
I've had my IE-900's a month.

The first week while catching up on this thread, I was feverishly switching back and forth between these new IEMs and my wonderful A&K T8iE MkII's. Back and forth. Same music.

With the purchase of the IE-900's, I've reinforced the fact that I much prefer single-driver IEMs. I am a creature of habit - I listened to the A&K T8iE MkII's for a couple of months shy of four years. The first set I purchased in December of 2017. I also freely admit that I'm a bass-head, and I don't view it as a derogatory moniker or in the extreme. However, my favorite bass is not from rock, head-banger, rap, or pop. It's the bass that I've felt in concert halls for decades. From, of course, a good thwack of a bass drum tuned-low - the impact just as important as the thunder following. The organ fundamentals that you feel more than hear, like in Saint-Saëns, and the massive low-brass resources of our local symphonic band - The Dallas Wind Ensemble Symphony (how embarrassing!!). I listen less to recordings that essentially feature multi-mic'd multi-channel mono, and by habit, steer myself to recordings using a minimalist approach.

I loved the sound of my A&K's. A lot. However, when I heard that Sennheiser would build the IE-900's, I decided to read up. They're metal. They're not plastic. They are not gargantuan. They're small, just like my A&K T8iE MkII's, for my small ears. I had enjoyed the sound signature of my A&K ensemble for almost four years, but the lure of the new Sennheiser's coming out was hard to resist.

New!
Single Driver!
Sennheiser!

Justification was easy. I just sold the Sennheiser IE8's that I purchased in 2012. The FIRST pair of Sennheiser headphones I purchased was the HD-414s decades ago. They are yellow. I bought a set of HD600s. I bought and still have my set of HD650s. I bought and still use my HD800s (finally got a headphone amp that can make them sing). Looking at the history of close-ear listening and me, I see the Sennheiser name a lot.

I was convinced. I bought a pair of IE-900's, with their very own serial number.

For the most part, I've stopped listening to my once-favorite A&K T8iE MkII's. The Sennheisers sound better to me. They are equals in the bass department, with the IE-900's sounding a bit cleaner and not quite as tubby. However, the differences that are so attractive to me are in the upper mids and treble. It seems like the filter notches work. I find myself unconsciously picking out instruments in very complex audio clips that I didn't really notice before. On one of the Kunzel/Telarc recordings where all hell is breaking loose in full orchestral tutti, including organ pedals, I can actually hear the savage ostinato of the tympani over the other instruments. A lot of those audio components are in the upper midrange, mainly the initial strike of the hard mallet on the skins.

I'm not gifted, nor inclined for that matter to speak of these sounds with generic superlatives, and I won't gush about things that I perceive that could be components of my own "confirmation bias."

However, I DO know that I like these IE-900's. I think I will keep them.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #1,845 of 4,902
Pretty much every track :) Xelento has a lot of bass, check your tips fit and isolation.
Yes that's true 100%! is similar to the Ultrasone IQ. Only with the perfect tips (with some IQ owners Triple Ear Tips have worked wonders) you also get the great bass and NO hissing SSS sounds. I bought a second pair of IQs for € 140! In my opinion, the IQ also plays in the € 1000 league - with the RIGHT tips. Perhaps there will soon be an opportunity to compare with the IE900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back