Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jun 8, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #992 of 4,849
After several days with my IE900s, I think that they are the best single driver IEMs that I have ever tried.
Awesome bass that does not bleed in the mids, decent mids, and awesome treble ( a little fatiguing after a while).
The soundstage is impressive, at the expense of mids? Perhaps.
On top of that they are tiny and light.

What I do not like is the awful ear hooks, the microphonic cable and the lack of variety of eartips. The I900s are tiny and all the eartips are very short... it compromises fit and isolation. I ended up using my beloved Sony Hybrids.

Head to head to my SE846 out of my LGG8 Quad Dac on high gain mode, the IE900 are sparklier and have a wider soundstage, however, to my ears, the SE846 have more body and the mids are fuller. The SE846s sound lush against the sparkly IE900s.
Sub bass is the same, quality an quantity but the SE846 reigns supreme on the mid bass department. Shure created a milestone with the low pass filter. It is very difficult to control mid bass bleeding in the mids.
Keep in mind that the SE846 really need a good amp to shine. Same thing for the IE900s. The difference is that you can still enjoy the characteristics, tonality and range of the IE900s out of a low gain device. On the other hand, the SE846 would sound dull and lifeless and under the same circumstances.
I forgot to mention that I also tried the IE900s out of my Fostex HP-A8 at different gain settings and it was not a good match. They sounded too bright and fatiguing.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #993 of 4,849
Some feedback after 10 days using daily the IE900 and IER-Z1R (over 8 hours every day).... and the situation is not as clear as for many owners here.

1) I still don't feel really comfortable to wear the IE900. It's strange because a lot of people don't like the IER-Z1R, but for everything else than having a rest and more or less lying on a cushion, I really prefer to put and keep the IER-Z1R, as just the tips are touching the skin of my ears and nothing else. The Sony's cable doesn't generate any disturbing noise at all against my collar like the IE900 does. Then, I would say, I feel as if I am wearing some thick classes with the IE900. I was hoping, I wouldn't feel wearing the IE900 after getting used to it after a few days, but, till now it's not the case...just more or less uncomfortable without finding a correct way with the cable.
I think, I have to wait that another cables are available on the market as actually they are too many issues wearing the Sennheiser's one (but I won't pay a 500$ or more for a balanced cable) .. loads of microphonics, too hard around the ears, I can't keep the cord same position for laying down on a cushion and upper position (it hurts the top part of my earlobes) so I have to change the "form" of the cable around my ear to avoid the thicker part to be behind my ear. In decades, I never had such issues with IEMs.

2) for sound quality too, I still don't have the same feeling as many here .. Surprisingly, for long music sessions, I still prefer Sony's sound signature in mids and upper mids, though IE900 is really very very impressive as it is.

I probably need a few more weeks to fully enjoy the IE 900. Till now, I am a bit more comfortable with the IER-Z1R.
Let's wait another 10 days ...
I too have been comparing IER-Z1R and IE 900. My thoughts are the same as yours. IER-Z1R's treble is much smoother, bass is also more punchier. I have problems with the IE 900's treble. Don't get me wrong, it is a very good earphone, but technically not to the level of IER-Z1R. However, I do not have problems or fitting of both earphones. They both are comfortable to me but IER-Z1R is really big, you can definitely feel the weight swapping from IE 900 to IER-Z1R. Overall, IER-Z1R is like full spectrum with great dynamic and resolution, and it does it effortlessly. IE 900 is very good except it tries too hard on low end and high end to make it sound like it reaches to the same level of IER-Z1R. Maybe it is because I am used to IER-Z1R sound signature so it becomes my reference

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #994 of 4,849
@Vitaly2017
The website is correct, 16 Ω and the impedance curve is flat.

After several days with my IE900s, I think that they are the best single driver IEMs that I have ever tried.
Excellent, glad you’re having fun! Did we welcome you to #clubIE900 yet?

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #995 of 4,849
@Vitaly2017
The website is correct, 16 Ω and the impedance curve is flat.

Excellent, glad you’re having fun! Did we welcome you to #clubIE900 yet?
He has many issues with the ie900

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #996 of 4,849
So are you saying the buds fall off the cable? Is it suitable for ordinary use?
The connection are surprisingly strong enough so the buds won't fall off the cable. I tried to shake it too but it won't fall. If you use it only when you are sitting yeah. Might be not good enough for sport activities. I haven't use it long enough. I prefer the look and feel of the original cable.
tin_p1_cable_0609210100.jpg

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #997 of 4,849
He has many issues with the ie900
It’s true, but it sounds like it’s a net positive (particularly from his opening statement). I just have seen @ericpalonen congratulating people, so I thought I’d do it too!

@dodol3k There is something satisfying about your picture, the suspended IEMs, and the shape their shadow makes on the table. It’s like a sine wave shadow.:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #998 of 4,849
Maybe it is because I am used to IER-Z1R sound signature so it becomes my reference

I wonder if it's not the main factor for me too.. So many hours spent with the IER-Z1R and finally considering them as a sound reference for IEM like many others, as the IE900 have clearly a different signature, it creates difficulties to switch easily.

For some it may look strange that I want "so hard" to change for a IE900, because I like the Z1R, but basically I expected :
1) to replace the Sony's IER-Z1R for daytime uses
2) and also replace the Beyerdynamic's Xelento for other uses like laid with the head on the side on a cushion,
with being able to keep the same sound signature without playing with EQ.

So, I am maybe dreaming, but it would be nice to use the Sennheiser IE900 and sell the IER-Z1R and the Xelento... but ................. I need the highest level of IEM as possible with the less compromise as possible for the sound.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #999 of 4,849
Just updated my earlier post (#885) on impressions with acoustic jazz and classical music, since I spent some time listening with the HD600's to the MA Recording album of the Mathias Landæus Trio—the one minimally mic'd.

Update TL;DR: while the IE 900's present a soundstage, the presentation is odd in how it locates various instruments in space. The HD600's present a cohesive soundstage where the instruments' locations make sense to me. The IE 900's locates the instruments in unnatural positions.

Regardless, I still love the IE 900's since they make non-acoustic music fun—which aren't the strength of the HD600's. The HD600's will continue to be my go-to to relax and soak in jazz and classical while lying back on the couch.

Also a big caveat that HD600's need a whole pile of highly capable gear upstream to sound that good—otherwise they sound pretty mediocre through budget gear. The IE 900's can sound great out of the LG V30 and just edging up to fantastic (within their sound character) out of more capable gear.

Jun 9, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #1,000 of 4,849
Just a quick share about cable compatibility.

The Effect Audio ConX MMCX works like a charm on the IE900.

D6CBE176-CE1D-4CCE-957C-41DDDB333E7B.jpeg

Jun 9, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #1,001 of 4,849
Awesome bass that does not bleed in the mids, decent mids, and awesome treble ( a little fatiguing after a while).
The soundstage is impressive, at the expense of mids? Perhaps.
On top of that they are tiny and light.

What I do not like is the awful ear hooks, the microphonic cable and the lack of variety of eartips. The I900s are tiny and all the eartips are very short... it compromises fit and isolation. I ended up using my beloved Sony Hybrids.

Head to head to my SE846 out of my LGG8 Quad Dac on high gain mode, the IE900 are sparklier and have a wider soundstage, however, to my ears, the SE846 have more body and the mids are fuller. The SE846s sound lush against the sparkly IE900s.
Sub bass is the same, quality an quantity but the SE846 reigns supreme on the mid bass department. Shure created a milestone with the low pass filter. It is very difficult to control mid bass bleeding in the mids.
Keep in mind that the SE846 really need a good amp to shine. Same thing for the IE900s. The difference is that you can still enjoy the characteristics, tonality and range of the IE900s out of a low gain device. On the other hand, the SE846 would sound dull and lifeless and under the same circumstances.
I forgot to mention that I also tried the IE900s out of my Fostex HP-A8 at different gain settings and it was not a good match. They sounded too bright and fatiguing.

You have lots of hours of your 846's, maybe the IE900's are still too new, don't DD's benefit from be used at least a few hundred hours?

Jun 9, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #1,002 of 4,849
You have lots of hours of your 846's, maybe the IE900's are still too new, don't DD's benefit from be used at least a few hundred hours?
That is a question of faith. I've never experienced a burn in before, and I've had countless dynamic IEMs. none of these in ears improved the sound after 50, 100 or more hours. it's a psychological thing. Over time, the human brain gets used to a sound signature (and autosuggestion is a cause).
If expensive headphones needed weeks of importing, the manufacturer would take care of that.
Of course, some manufacturers have an interest in the customer or their sense of hearing getting used to the sound and not returning the headphones / IEM too quickly.

Jun 9, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #1,003 of 4,849
I found noble encore clearly more appealing than 846 which I found slightly veiled, regardless of filter color type. I would hope ie900 would clearly lift the veil… interesting.

Jun 9, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #1,004 of 4,849
I found noble encore clearly more appealing than 846 which I found slightly veiled, regardless of filter color type. I would hope ie900 would clearly lift the veil… interesting.
Encore has 4 BA drivers ?

Jun 9, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #1,005 of 4,849
That is a question of faith. I've never experienced a burn in before, and I've had countless dynamic IEMs. none of these in ears improved the sound after 50, 100 or more hours. it's a psychological thing. Over time, the human brain gets used to a sound signature (and autosuggestion is a cause).
If expensive headphones needed weeks of importing, the manufacturer would take care of that.
Of course, some manufacturers have an interest in the customer or their sense of hearing getting used to the sound and not returning the headphones / IEM too quickly.

I've just ordered these and didn't want to read they are 'only' as good as the old 846's (in one person's opinion).
So I was hoping for a different reply :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back