Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jun 9, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #1,006 of 4,836
I've just ordered these and didn't want to read they are 'only' as good as the old 846's (in one person's opinion).
So I was hoping for a different reply :smile:
I will be getting the ie900 and I also own the se846. All I would say is that just because the Shure is a few years old now doesn't make it suddenly a poor IEM, IMHO its a timeless classic with its own unique sound signature.

Jun 9, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #1,007 of 4,836
That is a question of faith. I've never experienced a burn in before, and I've had countless dynamic IEMs. none of these in ears improved the sound after 50, 100 or more hours. it's a psychological thing. Over time, the human brain gets used to a sound signature (and autosuggestion is a cause).
That's my experience as well, it's all in the brain.
Couple of times i had the chance of comparing my older and well "burned-in" iems with completely new ones, and there wasn't any difference 🤷‍♂️

Jun 9, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #1,008 of 4,836
I will be getting the ie900 and I also own the se846. All I would say is that just because the Shure is a few years old now doesn't make it suddenly a poor IEM, IMHO its a timeless classic with its own unique sound signature.
One doesnt have to be better just cause its new and one doesnt have to be worse just cause its old. If one can enjoy the music then enjoy the music be it with a new old or an inexpensive iem. I can still enjoy the music from the old Shure 530.

Jun 9, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #1,009 of 4,836

The SE846 are well respected iem's but when you've just spent $1200 you want to read they're a step up from everything before, especially ones from a decade ago :smile:
Yes I was clutching at straws hoping the listener would hear a vast difference after 99.9+/- hrs :sweat_smile:

Jun 9, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #1,011 of 4,836
The wheel is not really being reinvented in headphones. There are always new names, new technologies. In the end, only tones are produced. Often it is also a matter of tuning (frequency response) of the IEM. For 2 weeks I have had an almost 10 year old Ultrasone IQ (2Way hybrid) that does not work with the standard tips. However, with the right Triple Flange Tips an excellent resolution (with only 1BA!) and great, nimble bass delivers and has no nasty sibilance as with the wrong tips.
I have had IEMs like Stagediver SD3 / SD2, AF1120, SE846, JH Diana and others with me lately and none of these multi drivers have the SQ of the IQ. Disadvantages are the large housing, wrong ear tips included and an own MMCX system. The two cables in the IQ package are of high quality. I would like to know if the IE900 can keep up with the IQ (not PRO!). Many reviews of the IQ are unfortunately unusable because of the wrong ear tips.
and I'm not an ultra-sonic fanboy. on the contrary. i also had prejudices against this brand because i didn't like an over-ear from ultrasone.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #1,012 of 4,836
I just preferred noble encore to 846, I enjoyed 846 as my first iem, the filters were to me problematic and I was blue as an FYI.

Encore has 4 BA drivers ?
10 ba drivers

Jun 9, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #1,013 of 4,836

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1623237694379.jpg
    FB_IMG_1623237694379.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 0
Jun 9, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #1,015 of 4,836
I wonder if the cables are proprietary?

Also, I ran the numbers - this IEM is just over 19 times better than the IE900. See figure 1 below.

Screenshot_20210609-140808_Calculator.jpg
Nicely put.

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #1,017 of 4,836
All I would say is that just because the Shure is a few years old now doesn't make it suddenly a poor IEM

I've read views from a few people who say it's lacking in certain areas when compared to newer stuff to question it's comparison with a new iem that is getting a lot of interest with so many others to choose from. I put quotation marks around Only as I recognise they are/were a very popular iem (846).

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #1,018 of 4,836
I wonder if the cables are proprietary?

Also, I ran the numbers - this IEM is just over 19 times better than the IE900. See figure 1 below.

Screenshot_20210609-140808_Calculator.jpg

In this hobby the price isn't really an indication if the gear is more expensive then it's automatically better.

I see this noble offering as a rare collection item for really rich opportunist and then again if one day they decide to sale it 🤣🤣🤣 you can get the best deal of your life at half the original price 😛🙃🤔

Gold is usually a very warm cozy sound, this iem gotta be a real warm chocolate delicacy to the ears 😍🥰

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #1,019 of 4,836
I've just ordered these and didn't want to read they are 'only' as good as the old 846's (in one person's opinion).
So I was hoping for a different reply :smile:
That's one opinion/review/impression of maaaaany on IE 900.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jun 9, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #1,020 of 4,836
In this hobby the price isn't really an indication if the gear is more expensive then it's automatically better.

I see this noble offering as a rare collection item for really rich opportunist and then again if one day they decide to sale it 🤣🤣🤣 you can get the best deal of your life at half the original price 😛🙃🤔

Gold is usually a very warm cozy sound, this iem gotta be a real warm chocolate delicacy to the ears 😍🥰

I should have included a smiley ☺ it was indeed a joke!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back