Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Mar 17, 2024 at 11:31 PM Post #4,711 of 4,849
Mar 20, 2024 at 6:40 AM Post #4,716 of 4,849
Hi everyone, today an earphone came off and fell to the floor. For now it works but I'm afraid it has caused damage. In your opinion? Thanks
I'd be more worried about the chassis than if something broke internally. The internals should be pretty strongly suspended within. If it works fine then it probably is.

Mar 20, 2024 at 7:30 AM Post #4,717 of 4,849
I would be more concerned that I might not find the earphone, after it has come off. I had this once, when it fell off in a crowded place. Luckily, I found the earphone after some search efforts, but it could have been lost also. To me the connection between earphone an cable is not reliable enough for such an expensive device.

Mar 20, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #4,718 of 4,849
I would be more concerned that I might not find the earphone, after it has come off. I had this once, when it fell off in a crowded place. Luckily, I found the earphone after some search efforts, but it could have been lost also. To me the connection between earphone an cable is not reliable enough for such an expensive device.
I recommend forza audio cables for sennheiser

Mar 20, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #4,719 of 4,849
I believe that's just the nature of the MMCX connection and having a detachable earphone. You trade one thing for another, depending on what matters more. I'd had several MMCX earphones and the IE 900 feels like one of the sturdiest to me.

Mar 20, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #4,720 of 4,849
I've never had an issue, make sure the connection is made with a "click" and it shouldn't disconnect without pulling on the wire. Anyone pulling the wire to get any IEM out of their ear is doing it wrong, I have seen people doing that though and almost jumped out of my skin in shock.

Mar 20, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #4,721 of 4,849
I've never had an issue, make sure the connection is made with a "click" and it shouldn't disconnect without pulling on the wire. Anyone pulling the wire to get any IEM out of their ear is doing it wrong, I have seen people doing that though and almost jumped out of my skin in shock.
Oops, I confused myself. What I actually almost lost, were one of my Sennheiser Custom Eartips, not the earphone itself. My custom eartips fit very tight. When I take the IE-900 out of my ear, the custom ear tip, might stuck in the ear an disconnects from the IE-900. Sometimes I don‘t recognize that the eartip has disconnected and fallen on the floor. In one case it was nearly lost.

Sorry for the confusion. The connection of the custom ear tips should be more secure.

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:19 AM Post #4,722 of 4,849
Oops, I confused myself. What I actually almost lost, were one of my Sennheiser Custom Eartips, not the earphone itself. My custom eartips fit very tight. When I take the IE-900 out of my ear, the custom ear tip, might stuck in the ear an disconnects from the IE-900. Sometimes I don‘t recognize that the eartip has disconnected and fallen on the floor. In one case it was nearly lost.

Sorry for the confusion. The connection of the custom ear tips should be more secure.
That makes more sense. :) I did lose one of the included eartips myself outside, no idea where that went. I got a spare set for £17.99 for three pairs.

I'm currently using the SednaEarfit XELASTEC though and have a set of the gen 2 arriving soon that have a wax guard built in.

1711178348999.png

Mar 26, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #4,724 of 4,849
I'm hoping to take some pics today or tomorrow.

For the past week I've been comparing the IE 900 with the IE 600 and trying to convince myself on the 600. I prefer it's 3D printed build and, obviously, it's price. However, I took it to the office today and I think it's telling how I wish I took the 900 instead. The 600 sound so good but I've been spoiled by the 900.

From my comparisons there are 3 characteristics of the 900 that keep bringing me back for more.
  1. The bass: Both IEMs hit so hard and so good but the 900 makes you feel like you're in a room with a sub. The low end extension really brings another dimension of tactility and texture and I enjoy the feeling of being immersed in a sense of acoustic space. The 600 on the other hand is more mid bass focused with nothing particularly special about how it's presented.
  2. The vocals: They're more prominent, present, and lively with the 900. I believe this is due to the u-shape response of the 900 vs the more v-shape of the 600. The transition from upper mids to treble makes the overall sound more crisp and reminds me of my HD 8XX and Arya Organic which both have considerable air to their treble.
  3. The scale and soundstage: The aforementioned qualities contribute to this. The 900 give me a larger sense of size and space. The difference isn't massive against the 600 but the 600 is narrower and feels more boxed in. Certain tracks highlight this more than others. The immersion factor of the 900 falls closer towards an Arya while the 600 is closer to a Focal Clear.
The above reasons make the IE 900 a richer and more engaging listening experience for me. I can tell the Sennheiser engineers put in a lot of work to tune the 900 so it's comparable to the HD 800's technical qualities and I'd say they were pretty successful at that. It's impressive how they were able to elevate the euphonic properties like the bass tactility, air, and soundstaging in such a small physical footprint. The 600 remains to me as the great-sound-with-no-frills counterpart.

Tl;dr I'm keeping the IE 900 over the IE 600.

Mar 26, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #4,725 of 4,849
Using the new Sennheiser/Sonova website, you use their Spare-parts website to generate a repair request. Then get an email with a paper to print. Saying in print to send the IEM with proof of purchase.

..... Does anyone know if I have to find all my packaging, box, and cables........or do I just send the Left and Right iem units?

I got unlucky and my left unit mmcx pin fell off (iem side).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back