Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
May 31, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #4,231 of 4,854
After some tip rolling, the tips that works best for me, providing me an optimal seal and the best sound performance is the SpinFit W1. I am using the medium size. In terms of the cable, I did try the ddHiFi BC130B (Air Nyx) OCC Cable and did not notice a significant difference. If anything, the bass on the stock cable has slightly more punch. I am sticking to the stock cable!

Loving the IE900!
I'm also happy with the IE900 stock cable performance, although I recently bought an Effect Grandioso (4.4mm balanced) that I planned to use on a UE900. I have been getting nice synergy with a hybrid cable on the UE, but I wanted a thin cable to use with it.

I found that it actually would fit with the IE900 as well and lo and behold I really liked the sound from it. Mids and highs sound a little more crisper to me. The soundstage appears a little wider as well. The bass is slam is still there.

So am sticking with the Grandioso on the IE900 for a little while longer. UE900 will have to do with my thicker cable for now. I tried the original IE900 cable on the UE, but sound comes out a little flat and dull.

Can't lie, but I think the cable looks really nice with the IE900 as well.

20230529_235554.jpg

May 31, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #4,232 of 4,854
I'm also happy with the IE900 stock cable performance, although I recently bought an Effect Grandioso (4.4mm balanced) that I planned to use on a UE900. I have been getting nice synergy with a hybrid cable on the UE, but I wanted a thin cable to use with it.

I found that it actually would fit with the IE900 as well and lo and behold I really liked the sound from it. Mids and highs sound a little more crisper to me. The soundstage appears a little wider as well. The bass is slam is still there.

So am sticking with the Grandioso on the IE900 for a little while longer. UE900 will have to do with my thicker cable for now. I tried the original IE900 cable on the UE, but sound comes out a little flat and dull.

Can't lie, but I think the cable looks really nice with the IE900 as well.

20230529_235554.jpg
Indeed it looks awesome. Glad you found the sweet spot for your ears!

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jun 8, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #4,233 of 4,854
Hi guys.
Sorry if this was already addressed here before.
Do I need any adapters to connect IE900 to the Fiio UTWS5 even if mine is MMCX connector?? And if yes, could you please post a link to those adapters?
Thanks in advance!
Hansel.

Jun 9, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #4,234 of 4,854
Jun 11, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #4,236 of 4,854
I'm not a big burn-in-oriented person, but I did find the IE 900 much more enjoyable after a while. At first I found them too bassy, which made them too V-shaped for my taste. Did actually ponder returning them. But then the bass eventually chilled out, balancing out the sound sig. Never again did I find them too bassy. Haven't attributed it so much to brain burn-in because they're not my primary headphone.

I'd recommend anyone picking these up to give them time before fully assessing if you like them or not.
Tip wear-in might be a thing though.

I had previously used IE Pro large silicone tips on my IE 300, but then I replaced them with brand new IE Pro large silicone tips and the bass increased like crazy. Maybe once your ear wax makes the tip all glossy, the seal isn't as strong and the bass suffers a little bit.

Jun 11, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #4,237 of 4,854
Hi guys,

Some time ago I had IE900 and I like it but it sounds a little too V-Shaped for me. I like IE900 for great bass but highs are a little bit too sharp for me. To be honest now I'm missing them so I was wondering about buying it again. But also I saw some good reviews about IE600. Is it worth to check IE600 instead of IE900? How about bass and highs in IE600 compared to IE900? Is it a huge step down in terms of SQ?

Jun 11, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #4,238 of 4,854
Hi guys,

Some time ago I had IE900 and I like it but it sounds a little too V-Shaped for me. I like IE900 for great bass but highs are a little bit too sharp for me. To be honest now I'm missing them so I was wondering about buying it again. But also I saw some good reviews about IE600. Is it worth to check IE600 instead of IE900? How about bass and highs in IE600 compared to IE900? Is it a huge step down in terms of SQ?
To my ears, IE600 is not a step down from IE900, just different in tuning that IE600 is more fun and energetic.

Jun 16, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #4,239 of 4,854
Yes of course since I own them. I feel Spiral Dots just doesn’t fit well with IE900. It diffuses the bass goodness. AET07 is similar to the EP-EX11 but has more peaky treble. EP-EX11 tames the treble slightly without sacrificing vocals and the bass which is perfect for me. They just sound fantastic with the IE900. I don’t have the Z1R so I don’t know if they are the same.

I would also recommend position 1 highly with any eartips for IE900. I do this using spacers mod from old eartips. I just find IE900 sounding better the further they are from my eardrums. Position 1 will make the eartip stay deeper which will also help with getting the perfect seal.
I know this is a reply to an old response but I was curious why position one is preferred by some people? You said it spaces out the sound but how is position 1 better than 2?

Keep in mind I’m still having issues with tips. I want so badly to get this damn thing comfortable.

Jun 16, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #4,240 of 4,854
I know this is a reply to an old response but I was curious why position one is preferred by some people? You said it spaces out the sound but how is position 1 better than 2?

Keep in mind I’m still having issues with tips. I want so badly to get this damn thing comfortable.
I was having the same issues with the tips I tried the final e tips they were better but I didn't really like the sound so much.
Also I couldn't get along with the cable so I ordered one of Matt at Forza audios iem cables and all the issues with the fit and the tips collapsing on them selves went away.
I read comments on how they disappear in the ears and thought not happening for me to the point of nearly getting rid of them but after changing the cable they really do disappear in the ears.
If I put the tips on the first position alot of the time they seem to push themselves on to the second one that might be me though.
Why not try to find a cheap cable and see if it helps with the fit.
I find that there is so much hype in the audio world it's so easy to be disappointed but every so often something comes along that exceeds the hype and these certainly do.
The only other time I can remember this happening was many years ago when I bought some proac speakers.

Jun 16, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #4,241 of 4,854

I find that the outer position helps increase the width of the sound field.

If I put the tips on the first position alot of the time they seem to push themselves on to the second one that might be me though.
Go down to your local hardware store and buy a couple of rubber o-rings. They're less than 30¢ each. Problem solved!

Jun 19, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #4,242 of 4,854
I was having the same issues with the tips I tried the final e tips they were better but I didn't really like the sound so much.
Also I couldn't get along with the cable so I ordered one of Matt at Forza audios iem cables and all the issues with the fit and the tips collapsing on them selves went away.
I read comments on how they disappear in the ears and thought not happening for me to the point of nearly getting rid of them but after changing the cable they really do disappear in the ears.
Why not try to find a cheap cable and see if it helps with the fit.
I find that there is so much hype in the audio world it's so easy to be disappointed but every so often something comes along that exceeds the hype and these certainly do.
The only other time I can remember this happening was many years ago when I bought some proac speakers.
What do the cables you are using look like? Do you still have ear hooks?

Jun 20, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #4,243 of 4,854
What do the cables you are using look like? Do you still have ear hooks?
No ear hooks on the Forza cable.
I went for the hybrid cable it's not shown on the Forza site but someone has the same cable and has put pictures up on here.
I think for people who are having issues with the fit the stock cable could be the main culprit.
For me a new cable changed them from being almost unusable to begin the most comfortable and best fitting I've had.
Reading through here there are many cables recommend and I have to assume they would also solve the problem.
I hope this helps.

Jun 20, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #4,245 of 4,854
How would a new cable change the comfort? If no ear hooks, does the cable just hang down tugging at the IEMs and slowly pulling them out?
Personally I think it is because the ear hooks are too stiff and when you move your head they put pressure on the iem causing them to twist and move in the ears and you get sound drop outs as if you have a loose connection funnily it seemed to happen in the left ear the most.
To me it felt like the stock cable was fighting with your ears trying to pull them out.
The new cable is much softer and lays over the ears in the same way the ear hooks do.
I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back