Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jun 20, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #4,246 of 4,854
Personally I think it is because the ear hooks are too stiff and when you move your head they put pressure on the iem causing them to twist and move in the ears and you get sound drop outs as if you have a loose connection funnily it seemed to happen in the left ear the most.
To me it felt like the stock cable was fighting with your ears trying to pull them out.
The new cable is much softer and lays over the ears in the same way the ear hooks do.
I hope this helps.
Thank you. Your description makes perfect sense. Do you have a link to the cable you purchased?

Jun 20, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #4,247 of 4,854
Personally I think it is because the ear hooks are too stiff and when you move your head they put pressure on the iem causing them to twist and move in the ears and you get sound drop outs as if you have a loose connection funnily it seemed to happen in the left ear the most.
To me it felt like the stock cable was fighting with your ears trying to pull them out.
The new cable is much softer and lays over the ears in the same way the ear hooks do.
I hope this helps.
Never had that problem. Could it be loose eartips? Something that fits well shouldn't slip out due to cable pressure.

Jun 20, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #4,249 of 4,854
Never had that problem. Could it be loose eartips? Something that fits well shouldn't slip out due to cable pressure.
Definitely not loose eartips as it was the medium stock tips I was using and I am still using them but with a different cable I now have zero issues.
Forza audio works iem cable you have to ask for the ie 900 connector as it's not listed on the site If you drop him an email he will advise you on what you need.
There are quite a few cables that fit ok for varying prices and I have to assume they would all fix the same problem.

Jun 22, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #4,250 of 4,854
I've seen them mentioned a few times but haven't seen many reviews on Comply tips with the IE900 and how they compare to the OEM in terms of fitment.

For some background, I wasn't getting a deep enough fit with the OEM foam tips even trying the "deeper" fitting position (and the tips would just keep getting pushed into the "shallow" fitting position).

I see some folks say it's the OEM cable. I've had fitment-impacting cable issues before (looking at you IER-Z1R OEM cable) and I just wasn't convinced enough to gamble on an aftermarket cable which costs significantly more and would be difficult to write off if it didn't help.

I ended up testing a couple of my favorite and well fitting silicone tips I have for my other IEMs (Azla Crystal, Final Audio E) before deciding I wanted to stick with foam and ordered Comply tips.

Visually, they don't seem they'd be significantly deeper fitting but I'm finally getting a comfortable fit and seal. There's a noticeable increased bass response too (though could be from the better seal). They also no longer feel like they're slipping out and seeing why so many say the IE900 is one of the most comfortable.

If you're looking for foam tips and find the OEM tips to be a bit too shallow, I'd recommend trying the Comply tips.

Jun 22, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #4,251 of 4,854
I've seen them mentioned a few times but haven't seen many reviews on Comply tips with the IE900 and how they compare to the OEM in terms of fitment.

For some background, I wasn't getting a deep enough fit with the OEM foam tips even trying the "deeper" fitting position (and the tips would just keep getting pushed into the "shallow" fitting position).

I see some folks say it's the OEM cable. I've had fitment-impacting cable issues before (looking at you IER-Z1R OEM cable) and I just wasn't convinced enough to gamble on an aftermarket cable which costs significantly more and would be difficult to write off if it didn't help.

I ended up testing a couple of my favorite and well fitting silicone tips I have for my other IEMs (Azla Crystal, Final Audio E) before deciding I wanted to stick with foam and ordered Comply tips.

Visually, they don't seem they'd be significantly deeper fitting but I'm finally getting a comfortable fit and seal. There's a noticeable increased bass response too (though could be from the better seal). They also no longer feel like they're slipping out and seeing why so many say the IE900 is one of the most comfortable.

If you're looking for foam tips and find the OEM tips to be a bit too shallow, I'd recommend trying the Comply tips.
Huge fan of Comply Pro Series on my SE846. I tried them with the IE900s and could not get a good seal with the Type 200. I'm back with silicone and the joys of slippage. I'm starting to believe it's the cable after reading threads here

Jun 22, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #4,252 of 4,854
Huge fan of Comply Pro Series on my SE846. I tried them with the IE900s and could not get a good seal with the Type 200. I'm back with silicone and the joys of slippage. I'm starting to believe it's the cable after reading threads here
Like all things I'm sure it's not one-size-fits-all but I figured I'd weigh in since I haven't really seen feedback from anyone having improved fit/comfort with the Comply tips. I guess I could add a disclaimer that it worked for me and might not work for others. :relaxed:

I've had fitment-impacting cable issues with the IER-Z1R, but that's because the OEM cable wouldn't even rest on my ears at all and the only thing securing the heavy IEMs were the tips. Other than the fitment, I was happy with the nice Sony OEM cable but still needed to pay 200$ for a Lavricable just to get them to fit right. With the IE900's memory wire, I can get the cable to hook on and rest on my ears. I'm thinking if you can't get the cable to provide any support to the IEM, the Comply tips won't fix your issue and they'll just work their way out despite the light weight.

I'm sure most people who purchase IE900 wouldn't want a downgrade in cable quality so they'll be spending quite a bit more just to improve the fitment. I see the Comply as a much lower cost gamble that might pay off for some others.

Jun 22, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #4,253 of 4,854
Like all things I'm sure it's not one-size-fits-all but I figured I'd weigh in since I haven't really seen feedback from anyone having improved fit/comfort with the Comply tips. I guess I could add a disclaimer that it worked for me and might not work for others. :relaxed:

I've had fitment-impacting cable issues with the IER-Z1R, but that's because the OEM cable wouldn't even rest on my ears at all and the only thing securing the heavy IEMs were the tips. Other than the fitment, I was happy with the nice Sony OEM cable but still needed to pay 200$ for a Lavricable just to get them to fit right. With the IE900's memory wire, I can get the cable to hook on and rest on my ears. I'm thinking if you can't get the cable to provide any support to the IEM, the Comply tips won't fix your issue and they'll just work their way out despite the light weight.

I'm sure most people who purchase IE900 wouldn't want a downgrade in cable quality so they'll be spending quite a bit more just to improve the fitment. I see the Comply as a much lower cost gamble that might pay off for some others.
You might be right. I need to try to comply foam again... And give it more time.

Jun 23, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #4,254 of 4,854
Hi, do I understand correctly that you had no problem fitting the Grandioso to the IE900 sockets? That would mean that all this specific series of cables from EA with MMCX plugs should match the IE900 👍💪
Good morning
I own the IE900 and also the Effect Audio Grandioso (Black Edition) and Eros S cables and confirm their good combination both for the MMCX (Effect Audio System ConX) sockets and for the sound.
(just my opinion)

Jun 23, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #4,255 of 4,854
I just got myself a IE600 and paired with an effect audio Cadmus, such an improvement in sound. And yes, their mmcx connection works!! I think it will work for all the IE models

Jun 23, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #4,256 of 4,854
Received the Sennheiser IE 600 yesterday, and comparing them against the IE 900 - these are two rather different sounding IEMs. The bass is not as "in focus" on the IE 600 as it is on the IE 900, for one. Mids are noticeably more forward on the IE 600. IE 900 treble is a step or two above in terms of clarity, timbre, and extension. The total lack of damping on the IE 900 gives them an upper-hand there.

2X2A2215.jpg

Jun 23, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #4,257 of 4,854
Hi, do I understand correctly that you had no problem fitting the Grandioso to the IE900 sockets? That would mean that all this specific series of cables from EA with MMCX plugs should match the IE900 👍💪
Hopefully, but I can't confirm this.
I only have the Grandioso.
Would be interesting to know if you have others of the same brand.

Jun 23, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #4,258 of 4,854
Received the Sennheiser IE 600 yesterday, and comparing them against the IE 900 - these are two rather different sounding IEMs. The bass is not as "in focus" on the IE 600 as it is on the IE 900, for one. Mids are noticeably more forward on the IE 600. IE 900 treble is a step or two above in terms of clarity, timbre, and extension. The total lack of damping on the IE 900 gives them an upper-hand there.
Exactly my findings when I compared the IE600 to IE900. IE900 is an upgrade all-around in terms of resolution, technicalities, etc. They should be considered complementary as the IE600 offers a more balanced sound while the IE900 has a more V-shaped signature with the mids slightly pulled back. I love the build material of the IE600 though.

Jun 23, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #4,259 of 4,854
Exactly my findings when I compared the IE600 to IE900. IE900 is an upgrade all-around in terms of resolution, technicalities, etc. They should be considered complementary as the IE600 offers a more balanced sound while the IE900 has a more V-shaped signature with the mids slightly pulled back. I love the build material of the IE600 though.

This is my experience as well.

After demoing both together, I ended up with the IE900 over the IE600 because it was difficult to give up the resolution + it offered something different (in a good way) from my other (closer to Harman neutral) IEMs.

Design-wise, it feels like the IE900 is a nondescript stainless steel pan vs the IE600 being an interesting cast iron pan, each being appealing in their own way.

Jun 23, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #4,260 of 4,854
Design-wise, it feels like the IE900 is a nondescript stainless steel pan vs the IE600 being an interesting cast iron pan, each being appealing in their own way.
IE900 is actually milled aluminum while the IE600 is zirconium alloy. IE600 does have the more exotic material, but with a plastic nozzle, while the IE900 has a full aluminum build. IE900 is much lighter, but it seems to be more prone to scratches/marks while the IE600 feels like it could withstand a bomb blast. Because of this IE600 was my commuter IEM for a while, but the sound signature of the IE900 along with its deeper, fuller bass is much more satisfying to cover up/accompany the NYC subway system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back