Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
May 24, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #391 of 4,913
Hi @Scuba Devils, could you please share some impressions in comparison to the Sony M9?

Did some comparing tonight, it was a good excuse to have a glass of wine while pluggin/unplugging earphones and chin-stroking while I gaze into the sky and ponder the differences...

So as per my initial IE900 impressions, this won't be technical I'm sorry to say! I tested a number of diverse tracks, playing each first 3 times on the M9 before switching to the IE900. I find playing a track and switching from one to the other far more difficult to pinpoint differences, I need to really settle with the tuning and that seems to require playing the track 3 times or so.

The most obvious difference is the much more relaxed, neutral/warm tone of the M9 - an intimate delivery that I find safe and requires my focus to fully enjoy the signature, they are not an IEM for me to leave in the background. Soundstage isn't great on the M9, they seem to sit just within the confines of my head, certainly not beyond in any direction - in my short time in this hobby though, I no longer consider that a bad thing as such - nice to have options ideally with varying width and depth when it comes to soundstage but if a big soundstage is important, I don't think the M9 delivers.

Switching to the IE900 I immediately notice the brighter delivery, much more airy and this interestingly gives way to better separation. The IE900 has much deeper and more distinguished/impactful bass and is generally much more 'alive' - soundstage is wider and deeper which along with the brighter tuning, certainly positions instruments in a more engaging way. I mentioned a sense of being slightly recessed in the middle in my original impressions, I didn't really find that to be the case here - it must be more versus the MEST.

In summary, the M9 is a warmer, safer and more intimate IEM - the IE900 definitely a lot more engaging and fun but without being fatiguing. I recall a member at some point calling the M9 a 'boring' IEM which I was offended by as I love them so much, they did point out it wasn't a bad thing as such and now that my collection has grown, I understand the description. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I would position the IE900 in terms of tonality etc (not ranking) in between the M9 and MEST somewhere and having spent time with them again tonight, I absolutely still feel the same. Also, it was a very nice revisit to the M9 and reminded me of how much I love them, they'll be getting more use in the coming days again for sure.

Hope this helps!

Test tracks:
  1. Bomb the Bass - Bug Powder Dust (K&D Sessions)
  2. Bicep - Saku
  3. London Grammar - Wasting my Younger Years
  4. Men I Trust - Tailwhip
  5. Run the Jewels - Holy Calamf***
  6. Hollie Cook - Ghostly Fading

M9_IE900.jpg

May 24, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #392 of 4,913
I can inquire about further Foam details, but in general water breaks down the “cell walls” of foam and causes it to degrade faster, so I wouldn’t submerge any foam (tips, pads or otherwise). I made this post on Instagram for Dekoni a few years back:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwarcuPgSNk/?utm_medium=copy_link

And yes, my beautiful wife has “pie crust thumbs,” she’s adorable.

Lmao butttt what If U dip the dekoni in milk! Will it become an orea 😋

Awesome but I would never guess it was your wife in the picture 😛

May 24, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #393 of 4,913
Did some comparing tonight, it was a good excuse to have a glass of wine while pluggin/unplugging earphones and chin-stroking while I gaze into the sky and ponder the differences...

So as per my initial IE900 impressions, this won't be technical I'm sorry to say! I tested a number of diverse tracks, playing each first 3 times on the M9 before switching to the IE900. I find playing a track and switching from one to the other far more difficult to pinpoint differences, I need to really settle with the tuning and that seems to require playing the track 3 times or so.

The most obvious difference is the much more relaxed, neutral/warm tone of the M9 - an intimate delivery that I find safe and requires my focus to fully enjoy the signature, they are not an IEM for me to leave in the background. Soundstage isn't great on the M9, they seem to sit just within the confines of my head, certainly not beyond in any direction - in my short time in this hobby though, I no longer consider that a bad thing as such - nice to have options ideally with varying width and depth when it comes to soundstage but if a big soundstage is important, I don't think the M9 delivers.

Switching to the IE900 I immediately notice the brighter delivery, much more airy and this interestingly gives way to better separation. The IE900 has much deeper and more distinguished/impactful bass and is generally much more 'alive' - soundstage is wider and deeper which along with the brighter tuning, certainly positions instruments in a more engaging way. I mentioned a sense of being slightly recessed in the middle in my original impressions, I didn't really find that to be the case here - it must be more versus the MEST.

In summary, the M9 is a warmer, safer and more intimate IEM - the IE900 definitely a lot more engaging and fun but without being fatiguing. I recall a member at some point calling the M9 a 'boring' IEM which I was offended by as I love them so much, they did point out it wasn't a bad thing as such and now that my collection has grown, I understand the description. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I would position the IE900 in terms of tonality etc (not ranking) in between the M9 and MEST somewhere and having spent time with them again tonight, I absolutely still feel the same. Also, it was a very nice revisit to the M9 and reminded me of how much I love them, they'll be getting more use in the coming days again for sure.

Hope this helps!

Test tracks:
  1. Bomb the Bass - Bug Powder Dust (K&D Sessions)
  2. Bicep - Saku
  3. London Grammar - Wasting my Younger Years
  4. Men I Trust - Tailwhip
  5. Run the Jewels - Holy Calamf***
  6. Hollie Cook - Ghostly Fading

Very much appreciated, thanks! I've been lurking for the Sony M9 for the last year and a half and I recently got a chance to get me a pair (very hard to find them in the EU, still waiting for them to arrive). Was interested in the comparison because @jude mentioned in his review that he's keeping a pair of M9 as a reference set and that he expects the IE900 to take a place in that roster.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #394 of 4,913
Very much appreciated, thanks! I've been lurking for the Sony M9 for the last year and a half and I recently got a chance to get me a pair (very hard to find them in the EU, still waiting for them to arrive). Was interested in the comparison because @jude mentioned in his review that he's keeping a pair of M9 as a reference set and that he expects the IE900 to take a place in that roster.

Oh I must watch that review, thanks for the link. I sort of avoided watching any as I wanted to formulate my own views, conscious that listening to expert opinions might sway my thought process!

I still think the M9 a fantastic set, hope you enjoy yours when they arrive.

May 25, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #395 of 4,913
Following the M9 comparison last night, I was curious to further test male vocals in particular as I had felt previously that they were somewhat recessed. I don't find that now with various songs I've tried this morning and I suspect this might have been an adjustment from mostly listening to the MEST MKII prior to the IE900. Adds fuel to my original view of needing maybe 4 weeks or so to properly evaluate!

Test songs:

Massive Attack - Inertia Creeps
Bill Calahan - Drover
Cut Copy - Need You Know
Elliot Smith - Pictures of Me

Last edited by a moderator:
May 25, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #396 of 4,913
Following the M9 comparison last night, I was curious to further test male vocals in particular as I had felt previously that they were somewhat recessed. I don't find that now with various songs I've tried this morning and I suspect this might have been an adjustment from mostly listening to the MEST MKII prior to the IE900. Adds fuel to my original view of needing maybe 4 weeks or so to properly evaluate!
If one uses only one iem for 4 months one can settle with that iem until they start looking for something new.

May 25, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #397 of 4,913
Getting pumped for these. Do we know if pre-orders are arriving early June or shipping out early June?

May 25, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #398 of 4,913
If one uses only one iem for 4 months one can settle with that iem until they start looking for something new.

Yes I need more restraint moving forward, too eager and curious as to what's next!

May 25, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #400 of 4,913
Just surrendered to the temptation 😅🤣😂
With 60 day return i feel safe 😉

Congrats, I feel a bit alone at the moment :) looking forward to others sharing their impressions... And hopefully loving them as much as I do!

May 25, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #401 of 4,913
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 25, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #404 of 4,913
May 25, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #405 of 4,913

Users who are viewing this thread

Back