Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Aug 13, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #2,028 of 4,806
Did some more tip rolling and settled on the Symbio Peels. Absolutely loving this little setup :)
675035E1-2914-4706-BBB4-2BD79332ED8B.jpeg

Aug 13, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #2,029 of 4,806
Did some more tip rolling and settled on the Symbio Peels. Absolutely loving this little setup :)
675035E1-2914-4706-BBB4-2BD79332ED8B.jpeg
Gonna give these tips a shot! Loving Acoustune so far. Do you use these tips for Mest as well?

Aug 13, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #2,031 of 4,806
Yesterday I tried Spiral Dot++ and they give excellent results as well. Treble sounds as natural as it can be while maintaining excellent layering and bass slam. Will be alternating between these and Symbio W.

Aug 14, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #2,032 of 4,806
The new Killers album is beautiful and worth checking out even if you’re not a fan of their usual work. It’s a slower pace and more inward thinking. It sounds great on the IE900, it’s a warmer recording than they usually go for.

also, as much as I like the AET07 tips, the medium stock silicone provide an ethereal magic that I can’t get from other tips yet. They just disappear and I’m left with the purist music I’ve ever heard. For anyone that can’t get on with the stock silicone I promise it’s worth trying again, I find they seal best when not trying to get a deep insertion. I push them in gently until the seal occurs and that’s it, they’re still deep in my ear but not fully in, maybe 1mm back from fully in.

Aug 14, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #2,033 of 4,806
The new Killers album is beautiful and worth checking out even if you’re not a fan of their usual work. It’s a slower pace and more inward thinking. It sounds great on the IE900, it’s a warmer recording than they usually go for.

also, as much as I like the AET07 tips, the medium stock silicone provide an ethereal magic that I can’t get from other tips yet. They just disappear and I’m left with the purist music I’ve ever heard. For anyone that can’t get on with the stock silicone I promise it’s worth trying again, I find they seal best when not trying to get a deep insertion. I push them in gently until the seal occurs and that’s it, they’re still deep in my ear but not fully in, maybe 1mm back from fully in.

I must try stock silicone tips again, I did very briefly when I first got them but gave up quickly.

Aug 14, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #2,034 of 4,806
This morning I took delivery of a cable I ordered from PlusSound 6 weeks ago. The skies have opened, the birds are singing, the air is sweeter.... O.K., that is not true. :smile:

However, out-of-the-box build quality is top notch. Relevant here: the MMCX connectors they use for the IE 300/900 series work; a tight connection, and one needs to hold the barrel of the connector and securely hold the ear piece to get these to click-in, but they are nice and snug. I did not got for anything exotic here: X6 series, 6-wire (type 6 litz, SPC) config. The hardware they use appears to be of the highest quality. I note no microphonics. EDIT: must've been on crazy pills, because in my use since initial post, I definitely note microphonics, at least when I am going out of my way to create it (e.g., by tapping the cable with my finger tip, etc.) So, those looking for an aftermarket cable (**for whatever reasons**) can feel at ease knowing the PlusSound MMCX connectors (specific to the IE 300/900 at least) work.

IMG-0022.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #2,035 of 4,806
This morning I took delivery of a cable I ordered from PlusSound 6 weeks ago. The skies have opened, the birds are singing, the air is sweeter.... O.K., that is not true. :smile:

However, out-of-the-box build quality is top notch. Relevant here: the MMCX connectors they use for the IE 300/900 series work; a tight connection, and one needs to hold the barrel of the connector and securely hold the ear piece to get these to click-in, but they are nice and snug. I did not got for anything exotic here: X6 series, 6-wire (type 6 litz, SPC) config. The hardware they use appears to be of the highest quality. I note no microphonics. So, those looking for an aftermarket cable (**for whatever reasons**) can feel at ease knowing the PlusSound MMCX connectors (specific to the IE 300/900 at least) work.

IMG-0022.jpg

Nice looking cable, how much was it?

Aug 14, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #2,036 of 4,806

However, out-of-the-box build quality is top notch. Relevant here: the MMCX connectors they use for the IE 300/900 series work; a tight connection, and one needs to hold the barrel of the connector and securely hold the ear piece to get these to click-in, but they are nice and snug. I did not got for anything exotic here: X6 series, 6-wire (type 6 litz, SPC) config. The hardware they use appears to be of the highest quality. I note no microphonics. So, those looking for an aftermarket cable (**for whatever reasons**) can feel at ease knowing the PlusSound MMCX connectors (specific to the IE 300/900 at least) work.

IMG-0022.jpg
Just got mine as well! I did the cheaper EXO cable (4-wire/type 6 litz) to test out the waters and I find it highly enjoyable! I wonder what the sonic differences are between the two. Waiting for gold plated copper restock before I buy another. I may try the X6 for that one.

Attachments

• IMG_5791.jpg
    IMG_5791.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Aug 14, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #2,037 of 4,806
Thinking about the Symbio's being boomy and the treble not sounding right (borderline harsh/metallic) I tried again with the foam inserts in. Immediate difference, bass is controlled, mids are back and these sound much more coherent. Explains why the manufacturer uses the foam inserts as theses didn't sound right without them (though the option is there to remove them as everyone hears differently). Good to experiment though as all my iems have different make tips and it's taken a while to find out what goes best with what.

Edit: Been using the Symbio's (with foam removed) on my Andromeda's and they're the best I've tried.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #2,038 of 4,806
Thinking about the Symbio's being boomy and the treble not sounding right (borderline harsh/metallic) I tried again with the foam inserts in. Immediate difference, bass is controlled, mids are back and these sound much more coherent. Explains why the manufacturer uses the foam inserts as theses didn't sound right without them (though the option is there to remove them as everyone hears differently). Good to experiment though as all my iems have different make tips and it's taken a while to find out what goes best with what.
One of the alternatives to tame down the highs on universal IEMs is by using wide bore tips such as Spiral Dot++. If you do have them in your arsenal, you might want to give them a try.

Aug 15, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #2,039 of 4,806
The foam inserts make no audible change to the FR of the IE900. They're purely for wax protection. That's not my opinion, that comes straight from the engineer who designed them.

That said different tips DO make an audible difference, so it's worth playing around with tips to get the profile you enjoy. Like @normie610 says, wide bore tips are generally my go-to with the IE900.

Aug 15, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #2,040 of 4,806
The foam inserts make no audible change to the FR of the IE900. They're purely for wax protection. That's not my opinion, that comes straight from the engineer who designed them.

That said different tips DO make an audible difference, so it's worth playing around with tips to get the profile you enjoy. Like @normie610 says, wide bore tips are generally my go-to with the IE900.

Wax protection underneath the silicone outer? :thinking: Well straight away they sound better to me with them in, unlistenable taken out.
I discovered shortly after getting them that all of the bore needs to be exposed, with the tips I'm using anyway. I've got some early Spiral Dots and I rank them amongst the best, would like to hear the ++ but no one local has them.

The IE 900 silicone tips sound good with my Xelento's :relaxed:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back