Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Aug 17, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #2,056 of 4,836
Guys... Do you find these iems Comfortable when working out in the gym? Does it stay secure when doing a lot of movement?
Thanks.
That would be dependant on getting a good fit with the tips of your choice (Oh no I mentioned the 't' word again. )

I personally wouldn't use these in the gym.

1. They are not sweatproof and I'm not sure if a build up of sweat would damage them.
2. I don't go anywhere near a gym, what is a gym anyway. :)

Aug 17, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #2,057 of 4,836
Guys... Do you find these iems Comfortable when working out in the gym? Does it stay secure when doing a lot of movement?
Thanks.
Yes, among all my wired IEMs, the IE900s (and the Beyerdynamic Xelento) are the most stable and those that require fewer adjustments during training sessions in the gym.

Being very light, they also have the advantage that the sound tonality does not change depending on the position of the head (for example when lying on the bench or during a side plank).

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #2,058 of 4,836
That would be dependant on getting a good fit with the tips of your choice (Oh no I mentioned the 't' word again. )

I personally wouldn't use these in the gym.

1. They are not sweatproof and I'm not sure if a build up of sweat would damage them.
2. I don't go anywhere near a gym, what is a gym anyway. :)
My home gym is quite cold with a lot of fresh air so i dont sweat a lot unless its 30+ celsius like it was on June and July.
Never tried such over the ear iems so hence the question, only Standart Samsung akg ones or just cheap ones that goes in ear.
Thanks for answer.

Aug 18, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #2,059 of 4,836
My home gym is quite cold with a lot of fresh air so i dont sweat a lot unless its 30+ celsius like it was on June and July.
Never tried such over the ear iems so hence the question, only Standart Samsung akg ones or just cheap ones that goes in ear.
Thanks for answer.
I would never recommend wired headphones for the gym.
I would always use BT IEMs for the gym.

Aug 18, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #2,061 of 4,836
I would never recommend wired headphones for the gym.
I would always use BT IEMs for the gym.
Actually I do recommend wired IEMs in the gym. Never had a problem with them, just have the cord at the back.
Shure top work great or evan Blon BL-03 or earbuds depends what you are after.

Aug 18, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #2,062 of 4,836
I am happy !!!!
I finally got my IE900 back .. Sennheiser replaced the box and everything is new. I was expecting just the right driver would be changed, but no, I got a complete new box..
So it took one month and a half for the warranty to be applied and cost me sending the item to Sennheiser in Europe.

I also could try the large hole and long tube AZLA SednaEarfitLight (L) ... and for the time I can seal instantly the IE900 in my ear and I can move without changing the position like with Sennheiser silicon tips.. That's a big change for me, and makes the IE 900 much more valuable.

1629279985469.png

Aug 18, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #2,063 of 4,836
I am happy !!!!
I finally got my IE900 back .. Sennheiser replaced the box and everything is new. I was expecting just the right driver would be changed, but no, I got a complete new box..
So it took one month and a half for the warranty to be applied and cost me sending the item to Sennheiser in Europe.
There is reason Sennheiser is so well regarded! Their quality control and after service is legendary.
Hifimans, Focals, Fostex and others cant compare.
Germans know quality!

Aug 18, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #2,064 of 4,836
With an IEM this good it's harder to find things to talk about.
gaaah, don't say that, I miss the 800s. Now I want to folk out MORE money

Aug 18, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #2,065 of 4,836
There's a plastic grill in the nozzle and the supplied tips also have a grill, why don't they both affect the sound? They obviously don't because after owning these a few months I'm constantly being surprised at how they make music sound that I've been listening to for years.

Aug 18, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #2,066 of 4,836
It does affect the sound .. Some measured the impact of the frequency curves, and clearly It reduces some possible hissing in the 6-8khz zone.. For sure Sennheiser optimized the IE 900 with taking care of these grills.
The best with third part tips is to take the grills of unused original tips and put them in Azla tips (in my case).

Aug 18, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #2,067 of 4,836
It does affect the sound .. Some measured the impact of the frequency curves, and clearly It reduces some possible hissing in the 6-8khz zone.. For sure Sennheiser optimized the IE 900 with taking care of these grills.
The best with third part tips is to take the grills of unused original tips and put them in Azla tips (in my case).
Direct quote from Jermo (the guy who designed the IE 900):

“The foam within the ear tips has been implemented solely to protect the transducer from cerumen or other ingresses. Foam is necessary to catch even small particles, but it’s also nearly impossible to prevent foam from building up some acoustic impedance if you compress it. If you look closely, the foam is very large-pored.

If we wanted an acoustic impact, we’d choose a finer, better-defined material. If the IE 900 were a relaxed earphone that might turn dull with a bit of impedance, [and] we would have chosen a different solution. But the IE 900 is a brilliant earphone and a slight change of 1-2 dB in the treble doesn’t change the character to the worse for most people. Long story short, you can use whichever ear tip fits.”

Unless you're really, really sensitive to the faintest treble hiss, you probably won't notice any difference with or without the foam insert. The size of the bore and tip material will have a much more substantial and audible impact on the sound, and not just in the treble region.

Aug 18, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #2,068 of 4,836
I have briefly auditioned ie900 yesterday. And after being pleasantly how well it sounds for its price i spent an hour today trying various tips of my own. Azlas, xelastec, acoustune, whirlwinds, spiral dots, you name it. I honestly liked the stock silicon tips most.
But really i think my tip rolling was a bit of fail as they are all meant for my LX which has bigger bore. Therefore most of them sounded on a lean side. Where as stock was fuller sounding.

While ie900 is not on technical level of LX. Its not that far off. And its definitely better than CA Atlas or Solaris.

What i really liked that its finally not a crappy piece of plastic which was always my issue with Senns stuff.

Cables would have been ok but God those earhooks, really? for such a tiny iems? At least in the past they were removable. Now they are royal pain in the butt. But you can finally remove the cable lol.

In general i thought it will be another £1k mediocrity. But actually it really kicks it up a notch. I think its tuning is quite versatile and for what it is capable of technically it is priced well.

Aug 19, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #2,070 of 4,836
Direct quote from Jermo (the guy who designed the IE 900):

“The foam within the ear tips has been implemented solely to protect the transducer from cerumen or other ingresses. Foam is necessary to catch even small particles, but it’s also nearly impossible to prevent foam from building up some acoustic impedance if you compress it. If you look closely, the foam is very large-pored.

If we wanted an acoustic impact, we’d choose a finer, better-defined material. If the IE 900 were a relaxed earphone that might turn dull with a bit of impedance, [and] we would have chosen a different solution. But the IE 900 is a brilliant earphone and a slight change of 1-2 dB in the treble doesn’t change the character to the worse for most people. Long story short, you can use whichever ear tip fits.

Unless you're really, really sensitive to the faintest treble hiss, you probably won't notice any difference with or without the foam insert. The size of the bore and tip material will have a much more substantial and audible impact on the sound, and not just in the treble region.

Yes .. but no, as there is a real difference with and without grill, there is a difference between tips (silicone, foam, large or narrow holes)=> it's probably more safety to put the grill taken from unused IE900 foam.. so easy to do, it's not a big deal to use some left in the unused Sennheiser tips.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back