Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jul 14, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #1,726 of 4,806
How many MW in balance you getting? Hope it is atleast 800 MW.
I’ve been frequently using my IE 900 with my NW-ZX300’s SE output. I just got back from a trip to take care of my grandmother – she has power outlets of course but you know how it’s not nice to have to recharge all your things daily while traveling… the 50 mW was plenty with the 52-54 volume setting (normal gain) on the ZX300. How the power is delivered (circuit design, component quality) is the most important thing. I will be switching to mainly using the balanced output on the ZX300, but that is mainly because that DAP is optimized for the balanced circuit, not because of the raw power offered (250 mW).

I haven’t tried the IE 900 yet out of my HDV 820, even though I have it. For me, ergonomics and suitability for the situation are king.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #1,728 of 4,806
Yesterday my IE 900 finally arrived. Other cables, such as Linsoul 7N OCC and LSC 08 6N OCC cable I have tried after the ring removals and will stay with the original cable.
The tips do not go for me from the sound and I will now listen with SpinFit CP100 until I find something better. The original tips sounded to me like underwater music. Mobile players were previously Cayin N3 Pro, Ibasso DX220 and DX 220 Max and I stayed with the Max. Everything written by someone who probably has funny ears. Have fun listening to music.

Jul 15, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #1,730 of 4,806
Just received IE900 today. I am coming from Sony IER-Z1R and most of you know how challenging the comfort of Sony can be. So comfort wise this IE900 is just a completely different world, it's fully integrated into the ear like some kind of bionical part. I just love it.

I sold my IER-Z1R to finance the change and can't compare side by side. So just a couple of statements out my memory.
Source: Xperia 1ii + L&P W2, Tidal and UAPP.

I900 SE sounds very natural, at first I percepted it as a little bit flat but it was just an initial impression. Sony is different, it blows your mind by magical 3d sound initially but you get used to it quickly and do not percept it like something special after some time. But with IE900 the longer I hear the more I discover the complexity. I still need to evaluate higher mids better because sometimes it sounds a little bit off but in general very nice warmish but relatively neutral sound. Iron Maiden shines with those. Sony really shined in jazz/classics, I will need to spend more time with IE900 and listen to good separated natural instruments first.
IE900 SE vs Balanced did not introduce any big changes. Balanced out of L&P W2 has slightly more power and requires volume adjustment down to be compared with SE.

As of now I am super happy because now I will be looking forward to the listening sessions instead if thinking about ear pain after 1h with IER-Z1R.

Would be interested in other opinions about IE900 vs IER-Z1R and MEST mk2 but also against older Beyerdynamic Xelento which was also one of my favorite single DD iems.

Still mixed feelings about the cables. I am experiencing some microphonics.
--------------
Quick update. Just tried my Xelastic tips (size M). Very good fit! Slightly better seal and deeper bass.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #1,731 of 4,806
If you want to hear what the IE 900 can do with haunting female vocals and deep, powerful Norse bass drums, check out this album. Great demonstration of the physicality of the IE 900's dynamic bass and deep staging. (Tidal link for better-than-YT quality: tidal.com/browse/album/123002076)

Jul 15, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #1,732 of 4,806
If you want to hear what the IE 900 can do with haunting female vocals and deep, powerful Norse bass drums, check out this album. Great demonstration of the physicality of the IE 900's dynamic bass and deep staging. (Tidal link for better-than-YT quality: tidal.com/browse/album/123002076)

Thanks, amazing artist. Sounds indeed very powerful with IE900.

Jul 15, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #1,733 of 4,806

Checked my favourite source which is Bandcamp and there too, I'll investigate! Love to branch out with unexplored genres.

Jul 15, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #1,734 of 4,806

Very nice, added to Qobuz favourite artists. Thank you.

Jul 15, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #1,736 of 4,806
These albums sounded good on the ie900 , but they also sounded great on the TH900.

Attachments

• 61hSIHV7svL._SL1000_.jpg
    61hSIHV7svL._SL1000_.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 0
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 0
Jul 15, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #1,738 of 4,806
Just two weeks, I've sent back to Sennheiser France, my box of IE900 for a faulty unusable left driver after just one month uses .. no news from them and only transporter confirmation they received my parcel...
I still hope, they will send me back in a near future a new box of IE900..

I have to admit I don't really miss them so much :thinking: :thinking: , as finally, after an all month daily use the IE900 and back for the last two weeks to my former combo, I feel :
-> my Z1R is after all a bit better for daytime use (office) with a bit faster, clearer and deeper ultra low frequencies
-> for laying down or sleeping, my Xelento with the Qdelix 5K is more comfortable, though IE 900 has a "better SQ"
Basically, I was hoping to replace the IER-Z1R and Xelento with the IE900..... I am not sure that I will go that way after I get them back (and they will probably go for sale).

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #1,739 of 4,806
Just two weeks, I've sent back to Sennheiser France, my box of IE900 for a faulty unusable left driver after just one month uses .. no news from them and only transporter confirmation they received my parcel...
I still hope, they will send me back in a near future a new box of IE900..

I have to admit I don't really miss them so much :thinking: :thinking: , as finally, after an all month daily use the IE900 and back for the last two weeks to my former combo, I feel :
-> my Z1R is after all a bit better for daytime use (office) with a bit faster, clearer and deeper ultra low frequencies
-> for laying down or sleeping, my Xelento with the Qdelix 5K is more comfortable, though IE 900 has a "better SQ"
Basically, I was hoping to replace the IER-Z1R and Xelento with the IE900..... I am not sure that I will go that way after I get them back (and they will probably go for sale).
Thanks for sharing your experience. I guess you have better luck with Z1R fitting your ears.
Similarly to you Xelento was and probably still is my standard of comfort of IEMs. IE900 is very comfortable too but I am still a little bit struggling with the memory wire of the stock cable. Actually looking into different options already and Effect Audio ConX system looks like a good investment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back