Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
May 6, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #4,486 of 7,699
Too sad that we had to pay 400$ to get these and yet  make it more Ugly to get the expected performance...  My friend was Laughing last Saturday when he saw mine with lots of tape.. lol.. 
size]
 I wonder why is that sennheiser loves the Bass Centric Sig? where more of audiophiles lean towards the Mid's & high's.. Does German's Love Clubbing this much?? lol 
size]

May 6, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #4,487 of 7,699
May 6, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #4,488 of 7,699
Quote:
Too sad that we had to pay 400$ to get these and yet  make it more Ugly to get the expected performance...  My friend was Laughing last Saturday when he saw mine with lots of tape.. lol.. 
size]
 I wonder why is that sennheiser loves the Bass Centric Sig? where more of audiophiles lean towards the Mid's & high's.. Does German's Love Clubbing this much?? lol 
size]

They are probably trying to appeal to the broader market (diarrhea-sound best) :p.

May 6, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #4,489 of 7,699
Idk What is going on but I saw a pair of these on sale for $60 and snap bought them. About to try out that tape mod. Shipping is ganna take over a month though.

May 6, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #4,490 of 7,699
I just bought fakes probably. Yay

May 6, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #4,493 of 7,699
May 7, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #4,495 of 7,699
I know the tape mod works well but there is a down side. As I put the IE80s into my ears I push on the outer casing where the tape is and it eventually moves. I'm only using Scotch Tape (cheap Aussie brand) so rather than dampening vibration I'm just blocking off the tuning port. Eventually the tape has to be replaced and it's not an easy task. It requires much use of scissors, part of the tape doesn't stick down properly and there are the occasional little bubbles.

So...has any one got any tips as tthe most efficient and effective way of apply this excellent mod.

May 7, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #4,496 of 7,699
Quote:
I know the tape mod works well but there is a down side. As I put the IE80s into my ears I push on the outer casing where the tape is and it eventually moves. I'm only using Scotch Tape (cheap Aussie brand) so rather than dampening vibration I'm just blocking off the tuning port. Eventually the tape has to be replaced and it's not an easy task. It requires much use of scissors, part of the tape doesn't stick down properly and there are the occasional little bubbles.

So...has any one got any tips as tthe most efficient and effective way of apply this excellent mod.

1. Use some cheap clear tape or a screen protector sheet.
  2. Stick it on so it covers the entire flat side of the housing.
  3. Trim to a square.
  4. Use a razor blade or craft knife to carefully trim the tape using the small gap between the plastic of the housing and the aluminium faceplate as a guide. Don't press down, just let the knife score the tape until it peels apart.

May 7, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #4,497 of 7,699
Quote:
  1. Use some cheap clear tape or a screen protector sheet.
  2. Stick it on so it covers the entire flat side of the housing.
  3. Trim to a square.
  4. Use a razor blade or craft knife to carefully trim the tape using the small gap between the plastic of the housing and the aluminium faceplate as a guide. Don't press down, just let the knife score the tape until it peels apart.

This is exactly what i do... +1 .. if you do it right , you dont need to apply tape any time soon.. if air bubbles trap only the tape will wear of. and if you do it right No one will ever see the tape. today i did a clean job on mine.. too bad still i didnt got my cam.. soon ill post mine

May 7, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #4,498 of 7,699
Quote:

If your using water tapes, move to solid gum tapes they work fine, and wont slip away

May 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #4,499 of 7,699
Quote:

I know that Russian guy (forgot his name lol) used electrical tape to do the mod. That may stay in place even better. I think he name was Alex.

May 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #4,500 of 7,699
I have had my pair for about three weeks now. Was going to buy them at the London Head-Fi meet, but couldn't wait. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Must say that I am loving them as an upgrade from my MTP Golds which got lost somehow 
mad.gif
. But kinda glad as they pushed me to upgrade.
I am testing an Astell&Kern AK100, and they sound great with it. If only the unit wasn't so dam expensive and didn't have such a poor interface I would consider buying one. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back