Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Apr 26, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #4,457 of 7,699
Quote:
I sent them to the only service center in the Netherlands.Should I demand that they send me a new unit? I dont feel like sending them back which also costs me ten euros.

Hmmm, Netherlands eh....that could be the problem for you. My experience with the same issue as you in the US was they sent new IE-8's, but that was last year. Maybe they are out of 8's now?

I would definately ask for replacements (or IE-80's). You should call/email them and get a name/rank before you send so they will do the right thing this time BEFORE you send 'em in again. Gotta be persistant sometimes....like you have any choice, lol.

Apr 28, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #4,458 of 7,699

Recently, after having heard the AKG-K3003 and the Westones, I decided to test the cable myth and see if cables can indeed alter the sound of the headphones. 

I ordered a pair of ProCos-braided IE80 cables from a local DIY guy. He suggested the ProCos because according to him the bass of the IE80 is a bit too strong for its treble so this custom cable will give the highs a bit more push. It's been a month since I last used the stock cables. The difference is neither imagined nor is it negligible. I asked a friend who I used to hit the bars with to audition the Sennheiser IEM and this is what he said: "It's as if the bras have been taken off and the girls are now dancing freely!"

I couldn't agree more. It's as if there was a restraint applied to the IE80 prior to the use of these cables.  Now, it sounds gloriously free!

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #4,459 of 7,699
Quote:
Recently, after having heard the AKG-K3003 and the Westones, I decided to test the cable myth and see if cables can indeed alter the sound of the headphones. 

I ordered a pair of ProCos-braided IE80 cables from a local DIY guy. He suggested the ProCos because according to him the bass of the IE80 is a bit too strong for its treble so this custom cable will give the highs a bit more push. It's been a month since I last used the stock cables. The difference is neither imagined nor is it negligible. I asked a friend who I used to hit the bars with to audition the Sennheiser IEM and this is what he said: "It's as if the bras have been taken off and the girls are now dancing freely!"

I couldn't agree more. It's as if there was a restraint applied to the IE80 prior to the use of these cables.  Now, it sounds gloriously free!

So are they sound close to 3003s??? seriously?? 
size]

Apr 29, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #4,460 of 7,699
I doubt that lol :). I think he just meant to say the cables improved the IE80s for him overall. The IE80s are good but not AKG3003 good.

Apr 29, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #4,461 of 7,699

Hahahaha.  I wish!

No. I don't think you can recable the IE80 to sound like the AKGs. I doubt if Christ can perform that kind of miracle.

However, the IE80s now sound "bright".  Trebles are full-bodied and well-extended.  The bass has been reduced a bit. All in all a very worthy change.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #4,463 of 7,699
Oops.  My bad. This is the answer from my DIY guy:

"[size=10.909090995788574px]Nobelle 6N pure copper customs for Senn IE80."[/size]

It's Nobelle, not ProCo and it's not expensive. 

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #4,464 of 7,699
That's gotta be a good cable then. Silver cable really does help to clean up the IE80s. Still in the end I also did the tape mod and made them superb. Definitely mid-centric demons after the mod. Treble is also more upfront and aggressive. Not really laid back after that. Bass still slams but not invasive after the mods.

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #4,465 of 7,699
Quote:
Oops.  My bad. This is the answer from my DIY guy:

"[size=10.909090995788574px]Nobelle 6N pure copper customs for Senn IE80."[/size]

It's Nobelle, not ProCo and it's not expensive. 

More info please as these sound like they could be very good. Where does this Nobelle cable come from. Could you give me your DIY Guy's e-mail/website

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #4,466 of 7,699

I don't know if this is allowed. But here goes:

Ehrick Rolle <eprolle19@gmail.com>

He charged me around US $30.00 for the whole thing.

I think he has a chronic illness that plagues him constantly. Poor guy.  Good luck, man.

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #4,468 of 7,699
Got myself a set of ie80's last week. absolutely loving them.

looking to score myself a nice cheap pair of after market cables for them though, anybody got a reccomendation? Mostly looking for ergonomics improvement, especially with memory wire included, and obviously a nice little bit of an aesthetic upgrade as well

when i say cheap, i would rather not spend more than like $80

Also i live in the uk, if thats of relevance.

Closest thing i've seen is the effect audio apollo, it looks pretty good, but just a little steep to be honest.

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #4,469 of 7,699
Photos from my hybrid cable. Part of 40% copper and 60% silver! which cable do you advise? for better sound! I need lots of bass and treble!

]
What could be better hybrid cable?

May 1, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #4,470 of 7,699
Call me crazy, but when I wear these with the cables straight down instead of over ear, I get a much better seal.

I think my outer ear is just a bit to shallow for the bulk of the iem.

Do the ie8's have seal problems like these? I never had this issue with any of my cheapo sony's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back