Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
May 18, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #4,516 of 7,699
Quote:
I had the GR07 and hated it, too bright and sibilant for me! Maybe because the cord turned green, I can get earsonics SM3 V1 for 200$, would that be good

I haven't heard them for myself. But I do suggest you read up on the SM3 thread and see if that is what you are after. I think they are rather mid-centric IEMs. If that is what you want then it may be for you. But there is more to it than just that. So read up on the threads to familiarize yourself with the item.

May 19, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #4,517 of 7,699
Quote:
I still use and love my IE80s...I have been on the search for something both similar and a step up to the sound of the IE80s. I have found them! Aurisonics Asg-2.

.. but at over twice the price. For a little bit more you could get the IE800s. That said it would be great if you could give us a comparison review between them and the 80s

May 19, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #4,518 of 7,699
I paid $450 for the ASG-2s. I was actually thinking of the IE800s obviously, as the IE8s and IE80s have been solid iems for me. The IE800 is twice the price of the Asg-2 at a price of $900-950. The ASG-2 is really what I've been looking for in the past year and a half. I've probably been through a 10 iems. If you look at my profile you will see. I lean towards mids and bass and bass, but only in good quality with quantity. I prefer iems as they sound better to my ears than over ear, as well as being portable and powered easily. I still use and love my IE80. I've burned them in and broken them in like a leather baseball glove that closes just right. I have only had the asg for a few days, but I know that these will sound even better once the driver breaks in a little bit. (1 dynamic driver, 2 ba drivers) There aren't too many reviews on the asg-2 yet. I was actually leaning toward the tralucent audio 1 plus 2, but the asg-2 has the same driver setup basically and for alot less. So to compare the sounds between the IE80 and the ASG-2...they both have an adjustable bass port. I can say that the asg-2 bass port actually works much better. When it is turned to the max it is almost too much. Something I actually love. I listen to alot of different genres of house music, indie music, vocals and strings. When the bass port is tuned down to the middle of even below, these sound really balanced and toned/tuned. On their Facebook ad Aurisonics says it "makes your teeth rumble." I believe it. It is also good quality bass too. Doesn't distort at high levels of volume. Sounds well textured. My ie80 is very well broken in probably has near 500 hours plus. So smooth. The asg-2 sounds a bit more raw to my ears. Still boomy, but mostly because I rock out with the bass port to the max. But I remember when the ie8/80 gave me that problem along with other dynamic drivers in my iem collection. There is a mid-bass bump in the asg-2, but I'm more inclined to think that it is from the newness of the iem more than anything. So far from what I've heard, this will calm down with use.

May 19, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #4,519 of 7,699
God, I'm still just so disappointed in these IE80's..They just dont seem to get loud enough and don't sound as clear as my HD650's.

Am I just spoiled by the 650's? Is this normal and IEM's can't sound as good as refernece quality headphones?

May 19, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #4,520 of 7,699
Quote:
God, I'm still just so disappointed in these IE80's..They just dont seem to get loud enough and don't sound as clear as my HD650's.

Am I just spoiled by the 650's? Is this normal and IEM's can't sound as good as refernece quality headphones?

Hardly a like for like comparison. As regards to loudness, my IE80's via an E17 / iTouch - can't go even halfway on volume without it blowing my eardrums.

May 19, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #4,521 of 7,699
Quote:

I Dont think IEM can beat headphone when the headphone had proper set up.
Did you try the tape mod yet?

May 19, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #4,523 of 7,699
Quote:

Hardly a like for like comparison. As regards to loudness, my IE80's via an E17 / iTouch - can't go even halfway on volume without it blowing my eardrums.

I'm thinking it has to do with the Zune HD I am using. But then when I plug them into the computer, I have to turn the volume of the computer up to around the 70's to even get a decent volume..

Maybe I am that deaf, maybe I got a bad pair? They were shipped and sold from Amazon and their return window already closed so I don't know..

May 19, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #4,524 of 7,699
On my iPhone I can go no more than 55% of volume. Sound is still amazing foe IEM's but can't compare to my HD800's or even my Amperiors if it comes o that. However they still have their place as an unobtrusive music source and sound is still better than a lot of other IEM's that I've owned..

May 19, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #4,525 of 7,699
Quote:

Wow - Not sure there is that much difference between the IE8 and the IE80 when it comes to volume (I could be wrong here) but of all my IEM's, the IE8 uses the least volume to achieve the sound pressure I enjoy - they are decidedly efficient phones - they get loud and they fill up my head like gangbusters... 

...now my fake IE8's don't get loud at all - but it could be that I hate them and only pull them out on occasion to laugh at them - I never try to seriously listen to music through them...

May 19, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #4,526 of 7,699
Quote:
I'm thinking it has to do with the Zune HD I am using. But then when I plug them into the computer, I have to turn the volume of the computer up to around the 70's to even get a decent volume..

Maybe I am that deaf, maybe I got a bad pair? They were shipped and sold from Amazon and their return window already closed so I don't know..

Was this from an amazon seller or directly from amazon (fulfilled by amazon)?

May 20, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #4,528 of 7,699
Well for one just check with Sennheiser to be on the safe side.... If indeed the item is fake (which I've heard in some strange instances amazon selling fake stuff....) I'm sure amazon will refund you regardless in that event. Better to be safe than sorry. BTW what price did you pay?

But to be honest the IE80 is not gonna best the HD650. The IE80s is suppose to have more bass presence still and a large sound stage but not as large as the HD650. The sound signature should be similar but not exactly the same. If you are really looking for an IEM to best your HD650s you are gonna have to look in a higher price point which may not be in your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back