Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
May 20, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #4,531 of 7,699
Quote:
Well for one just check with Sennheiser to be on the safe side.... If indeed the item is fake (which I've heard in some strange instances amazon selling fake stuff....) I'm sure amazon will refund you regardless in that event. Better to be safe than sorry. BTW what price did you pay?

But to be honest the IE80 is not gonna best the HD650. The IE80s is suppose to have more bass presence still and a large sound stage but not as large as the HD650. The sound signature should be similar but not exactly the same. If you are really looking for an IEM to best your HD650s you are gonna have to look in a higher price point which may not be in your budget.

Thanks for the info. They were selling them for 292.00, then the price jumped back up after I bought them. I don't know why, they were brand new.

After going to the Sennheiser Authenticity page, it asks for the label ID, from that shimmering silver security sticker. My box doesn't have one, bad sign?

And does checking with them, just mean doing it through that page or sending them the headphones?

May 20, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #4,532 of 7,699
I have a new pair of IE80's that are authentic (I just can't stop) - in addition there is a seller that has a set of authentic IE80's and there is no silver security sticker - There was on my IE8 though.....

But there was on my fake IE8 as well - so I don't think that is an indicator of authenticity.

May 20, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #4,534 of 7,699
When they arrive - shoot some pictures and put them on the board - pics of box, pics of IEM's and pics of the foam inserts - we can pick out obvious fakes pretty easily - then listen to them - fakes usually sound pretty bad - if you bought from Amazon - you are protected as you can always send them back - even if it is a marketplace item - Amazon will have your back.

May 20, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #4,535 of 7,699
Quote:
Thanks for the info. They were selling them for 292.00, then the price jumped back up after I bought them. I don't know why, they were brand new.

After going to the Sennheiser Authenticity page, it asks for the label ID, from that shimmering silver security sticker. My box doesn't have one, bad sign?

And does checking with them, just mean doing it through that page or sending them the headphones?

With volume issues and disappointing SQ, sounds definitely like fake to me unfortunately. I've been burnt before and had the same issues.

Just bought some genuine ie80's to replace my long gone ie8's. Missed them sooo much. Also a little c&c BH2 to go with it for portable use.

May 20, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #4,536 of 7,699

Let me know if you need any more pictures.

And ive had them since April 12, so the window to return them to Amazon has passed unless I can prove they are fake, I guess, if they are.

I mean I wouldn't say that they are horrible, I am impressed once in a while with certain songs. Its mostly the volume thing that gets me. But I listen to music loud, and my girlfriend always says the music in the car is too loud when I cant even hear it very well. So maybe its just due to the fact of me being more deaf than I should be and having my hopes too high.

May 20, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #4,537 of 7,699
They look authentic - but one thing about IE8/IE80's is that they sound better after a number of hours of burn-in - my IE8's didn't settle down until I reached 150 hours - but the volume thing perplexes me - they should be extremely efficient - they should get LOUD - now I will say mine are a lot louder from my iMac than my iPod - but they get loud....

Maybe you have a defective pair.  What other IEM's do you own that get a lot louder than these?

May 21, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #4,538 of 7,699
Quote:
So you just contact them and tell them you want them to authenticate them, then send them in?

Ie8/80 do improve with burn in for sure but it's icing on the cake, not a transformation. They are a very pleasing, impressive & efficient iem. They definitely sound either defective or fake. Also the fakes are very good copies and very abundant.There should be a thread that compares them in detail, or maybe on utube. There certainly was for the ie8.
If you like an analogue, smooth, spacious, musical presentation, you should be in love with them right now.

May 21, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #4,539 of 7,699
Theres a comparison on u tube.

May 21, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #4,540 of 7,699
They look authentic - but one thing about IE8/IE80's is that they sound better after a number of hours of burn-in - my IE8's didn't settle down until I reached 150 hours - but the volume thing perplexes me - they should be extremely efficient - they should get LOUD - now I will say mine are a lot louder from my iMac than my iPod - but they get loud....

Maybe you have a defective pair.  What other IEM's do you own that get a lot louder than these?

None at the moment.

But now that I think about it, the others that I've had, the volume also had to be around the same 20-24 n the Zune HD. so I think the problem is definitely with that or me.

May 22, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #4,541 of 7,699
Quote:
None at the moment.

But now that I think about it, the others that I've had, the volume also had to be around the same 20-24 n the Zune HD. so I think the problem is definitely with that or me.

Just check the Sennheiser logo on the earpiece. If it is printed on -then fake. If it is engraved into the silver plate - then genuine. Thats the most obvious way to tell.

May 22, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #4,542 of 7,699
Quote:
Let me know if you need any more pictures.

And ive had them since April 12, so the window to return them to Amazon has passed unless I can prove they are fake, I guess, if they are.

I mean I wouldn't say that they are horrible, I am impressed once in a while with certain songs. Its mostly the volume thing that gets me. But I listen to music loud, and my girlfriend always says the music in the car is too loud when I cant even hear it very well. So maybe its just due to the fact of me being more deaf than I should be and having my hopes too high.

I wouldn't say they look fakes.

For burn in wise, I believe it's more of a Brain burn than actual drivers burn in.
I would think Dynamic drivers are likely considerations than BA drivers as Dynamic drivers seems not to present
the details as upfront as BA drivers does.

Having spent 5 years with my IE8, there are always times when I liked and disliked them. I believe it's due to my
HD650 home setup. When I alternate my listening equipment around, I seem to hear different things.

There were times when I extensively use my IE8, only to go back to HD650 to find it lacking... weird indeed. There were times
of it happening the other way round.

What I suggest is exclusively listen to your IE80, I hope in the process it does brain burn and u will find it's liking in the days to come.

May 22, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #4,543 of 7,699
If you look at the comparison on utube, you can work out for your self if they are fake or not instantly. We certainly can not discern their authenticity with those pictures. They are very mild but detectable differences upon very close inspection. Best of luck with it. I hope there genuine for you.

May 22, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #4,545 of 7,699
Quote:
Well according to that video, the two other people here, and the pics from a different thread comparing fakes, I would say they are genuine, thanks!

Good deal - Glad they are the real deal - also glad that our instincts were spot on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back