Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jun 24, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #2,671 of 7,699
Quote:
... it is odd to veil the mids (vs recessing them while maintaining clarity) in order to fix the separation.

Not to fix separation, but to convey distance. At least this is my take on the IE8/80's remarkable forward projection and soundstage. From my experience, separation (the ability to separate instruments from each other) on IEMs has little to do with perceived soundstage dimensions. There are IEMs with significantly smaller soundstage and less forward projection than the IE8/80, that have much better separation.

That said, a good part of the IE8/80's veil is due to their bass hump, they become noticeably clearer if you EQ down the 80-100Hz region.

Quote:
If I could I would strap speakers to my ears!
tongue.gif

Enter the Sony PVR-V1.
wink.gif
  (These are actually pretty nice with classical)

Jun 28, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #2,674 of 7,699
Quote:
Now that most of you guys have had the ie80's for a while how is the sibilance after burn in? My ears are very sensitive to it and could not stand the ie8 for that reason.

I have not noticed any sibilance.

Jun 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #2,675 of 7,699
Is the isolation better with the ie80 ? I tried the ie8 and loved the sound, but had to let them go because I couldn't get a good isolation/fit out of them.. 

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #2,676 of 7,699
I don't get a good seal using the standard tips sennheiser provides. I use large single flange JVC tips I bought from amazon and that gives me a great seal. I don't have an issue with my seal constantly coming out like I use to. I also never found the IE8s or IE80s sibilant lol. I'd hate for you to hear some of the other IEMs if you consider them sibilant :p The EX1000 would make your head explode then :wink:

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #2,677 of 7,699
Quote:
Is the isolation better with the ie80 ? I tried the ie8 and loved the sound, but had to let them go because I couldn't get a good isolation/fit out of them.. 

They are really not isolating headphones.  If you need solid isolation I would look elsewhere.  They're basically semi-open.  

Jun 29, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #2,682 of 7,699
Quote:
The tips aren't great. Others have used different brand tips/custom tips to great effect. :)

I've gotten good results with comply tips but they still don't isolate well.  I don't think they are really made to. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back