Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jul 3, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #2,702 of 7,699
Quote:
help advice needed. i wanted to buy an dac/amp combo for my ie80 to listen to music from my pc/laptop.
what DAC do you think that would pair well with the ie80? im thinking of getting the pico dac/amp combo.

I use the E7/E9 Combo and it works very well.  

Jul 4, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #2,704 of 7,699
Quote:
OK I've had the IE80 for a few days.
Although I no longer have the IE8 to compare with I am very familiar with the IE8 sound, having used them every day for years moving from IE8 to IE8i.
I would estimate they had more than 600 hours on them when I sold them.

I listen to classical music about 98% of the time. I only listen to other genres when exercising and then I use my HF2 for the isolation.
The IE8 was my favorite for orchestral music - concertos and symphonies because the bass hump added body to the orchestra and the large sound-stage added to the atmosphere.
I didn't use them for other genres because the bass was overwhelming and flabby even on the minimum notch.

Well I'm hearing big differences with the IE80.
The bass hump is still there but reduced and the bass is MUCH faster and tighter.
The entire frequency range is distinctly clearer.
Highs are crisper. Violins have more texture it's like the veil is gone.
Overall the sound is drier and more detailed - I like it!

Here are some observations with music I test every pair of new earphones/headphones.
"Living In America" - James Brown
    IE8 : Bass overwhelming and flabby couldn't bear to listen to it.
    IE80: Listened all the way through! Bass is tighter, more controlled. Bass is less prominent but still plenty.

"What A Wonderful World" - Katie Melua & Eva Cassidy.
    IE8: When the double bass enters it's too prominent.
    IE80: Bass fits much better. Piano and guitar sound more realistic
    At about time 2:10 the hi-hats are crisp.

The Four Seasons "Winter" - Vivaldi (Fabio Biondi)
        Violins clean and textured
        Drier detailed sound.
        Noticed strong reverb at end of first movement. Didn't notice it with IE8.

I'm wondering if these differences are more to do with my previous IE8 being worn out and a newer IE8 would sound closer to the IE80.
Also I never used the original case which includes the silica gel, so maybe moisture changed the sound of the IE8?
I'll be using the original case from now on because I don't want my IE80 to change :)
I hope burn-in doesn't change them because I can#t afford a new pair every 100 hours.

Conclusion: IE80 are my favorite for all genres :)

would you really recommend IE80 for classical music? Cuz i am a big fan of classical music and i am a
I used to own a crappy sony in ear head phones, and then oneday i switched to Sennheiser MM70i and immediately i felt a big difference between the two. So Sennheiser has given me a good impression for listening to classical music and now i am wanting to upgrade to even better IEM.

After reading your review about the IE 80, it sounds like it will meet my expectation !!

I mostly listen to Boarque, classical, romantic period of music. and lots other random songs.

Please reply this message !

And hope you can tell me more of your experience with the IE80 for listening to classical music!!

I am hoping to get the IE80, cuz it look awesome and after reading your review about it, it made me want to get it even more !!

Cheers~~~!!

Matt.
normal_smile%20.gif

Jul 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #2,705 of 7,699
would you really recommend IE80 for classical music? Cuz i am a big fan of classical music and i am a musician myself.

I used to own a crappy sony in ear head phones, and then oneday i switched to Sennheiser MM70i and immediately i felt a big difference between the two. So Sennheiser has given me a good impression for listening to classical music and now i am wanting to upgrade to even better IEM.

After reading your review about the IE 80, it sounds like it will meet my expectation !!

I mostly listen to Boarque, classical, romantic period of music. and lots other random songs.

Please reply this message !

And hope you can tell me more of your experience with the IE80 for listening to classical music!!

I am hoping to get the IE80, cuz it look awesome and after reading your review about it, it made me want to get it even more !!

Cheers~~~!!

Matt.
normal_smile%20.gif

Jul 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #2,706 of 7,699
Wow you sure are persistent lol. If you love classical the IE80s do very well in that genre. With the expansive sound stage, silky smooth treble, and strong bass the IE80s will do the job well. Not to mention they are good all-arounders and do well in general in other genres.

Jul 8, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #2,708 of 7,699
Quote:
..and found a them online for $120.  What I didn't notice is they were being shipped from China....

Quote:
What I am concerned is the ones sold on ebay for 200 or odd dollars.. is it fakes or just factory rejects or just a overstock of someone...

No such thing exists. They are all fake. Fact that you want a "cheap deal" so much that you were subconciously justifying the price for them with silly excuses* is the reason why they could still fraud ppl on ebay.

(*: factory rejects? really? or some seller would say, leaked from the factory... just which factory would let the product on the line constantly got "disappeared" and never notice? Not that they are making IE80 in millions every month anyway)

Now repeat after me: No cheap IE80 exists. No cheap IE80 exists.No cheap IE80 exists.No cheap IE80 exists. No cheap highend earphones exists. No cheap highend earphones exists. No cheap highend earphones exists. If I want something good, I pay for it. If I want something good, I pay for it.

There, you will never fall for it again, and you are welcome :)

And as mentioned before, Amazon.de is selling them for around US$310 shipped to US/AUS etc.

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #2,709 of 7,699
Just bought these for $250 AUD shipped - and no they aren't fake! got them from a seller on ebay who also has a store in the within my city.

he has been auctioning them off lately starting at 0.00 and going for around $250 in the end so i offered him $250 shipped through paypal and he accepted!

i should be getting them within 2-4 days!

just in case what are the signs of fake ie80's? i havent seen any threads about them but plenty on the ie8's.

Jul 16, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #2,710 of 7,699
Quote:
Just bought these for $250 AUD shipped - and no they aren't fake! got them from a seller on ebay who also has a store in the within my city.

he has been auctioning them off lately starting at 0.00 and going for around $250 in the end so i offered him $250 shipped through paypal and he accepted!

i should be getting them within 2-4 days!

just in case what are the signs of fake ie80's? i havent seen any threads about them but plenty on the ie8's.

There are fake IE80s out there so be careful. Can you confirm if hes an authorized dealer or if he acquired them from one?

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #2,711 of 7,699
I just ordered these a few days ago, and I got them for around $265 from Amazon Italy (sold by and shipped from Amazon Italy themselves). Should be here Wednesday... very excited, as I've read that the sound signature is close to the HD650's. I have the Shure SE215, but was not willing to pay the outrageous price to upgrade to the SE535.

Jul 17, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #2,712 of 7,699
Quote:
I just ordered these a few days ago, and I got them for around $265 from Amazon Italy (sold by and shipped from Amazon Italy themselves). Should be here Wednesday... very excited, as I've read that the sound signature is close to the HD650's. I have the Shure SE215, but was not willing to pay the outrageous price to upgrade to the SE535.

Yeah the SE535s are way overrated. I'm surprised Shure hasn't caught on and lowered their prices accordingly. The SE535s should honestly go for around the $300 range and not $500 (that's just a joke).

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #2,714 of 7,699
Managed to plug my IE80 into the Studio-V today. Wow, just...wow. Boy does the combination sound wicked!
My PFE 232 when paired with the Studio-V yielded a soundstage size that was similar to my IE80 coupled with lower end sources, but IE80 + Studio-V's size was totally massive! Surprisingly, I also got to pair the IE80 with the C4 and the DX100, and have to say that the Studio-V held its own really well against those two if not even excel in some areas. Not only when I plugged the IE80 into the 6.3mm input hole should the differences really show, still I would say the Studio-V gave the other two quite an awesome run for their money, not to mention the form factor, portability, wicked battery life and most of all, price. This is a killer DAP and I'm totally sold on it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back