Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jul 18, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #2,718 of 7,699
i got mine(4gb) for $380 from ebay

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #2,719 of 7,699
They may still be having a promotion for the Studio V which is half off if you meet the terms and conditions. I'm not sure if it is still active or not. Do a search for it.

Jul 18, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #2,721 of 7,699
ok i got my ie 80's in the mail today and i can assure they are not fake! (these are the ones i got for $250)

these are my upgrade from the klipsch s4i's and they are amasing in comparison. the s4's are sweet but the 80's bring everything to life, and the soundstage is ridiculous!

i even put the again't my old crappy beats and they really do sound awful. i even have philips IEM's i got for $9 on sale and they sound more clear lol.

their is a ton of bass with the 80's but the it is very controlled and is not overwhelming, unlike the beats whose base screws up everything else.

the mids and treble are also awesome and fill in what i felt i didn't get with the s4's - piercing highs and totally in your face mids!

all in all im very thankfull these are real and very happy with my purchase!

Jul 18, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #2,722 of 7,699
I'm quite surprised - piercing highs and in your face mids are not what you'd use to describe the IE80. Maybe because I haven't had a chance to try out the S4.

Anyway, good going there grabbing an awesome bargain
wink_face.gif
. Now use what you've got left to get a nice DAP
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #2,723 of 7,699
Yeah the IE80s treble shouldn't be harsh but on initial use it may be a bit harsh and will smooth out with usage if they are indeed real. The mid range is more forward than the IE8s and clearer as well.

Jul 18, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #2,724 of 7,699
Doesnt the IE80 suffer from hiss with the Studio V? I've read that high sensitive iems have that problem with the Studio V. Apparently hisoundaudio came out with the Studio BA which solves the hiss problem but isn't as powerful. Would this pair well with the IE80?

Jul 18, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #2,726 of 7,699
my studio v doesnt produce much hiss with ie80 but its still hearable. jack said that the current studio v hisses less than the older studio v.

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #2,727 of 7,699
Quote:
Managed to plug my IE80 into the Studio-V today. Wow, just...wow. Boy does the combination sound wicked!
My PFE 232 when paired with the Studio-V yielded a soundstage size that was similar to my IE80 coupled with lower end sources, but IE80 + Studio-V's size was totally massive! Surprisingly, I also got to pair the IE80 with the C4 and the DX100, and have to say that the Studio-V held its own really well against those two if not even excel in some areas. Not only when I plugged the IE80 into the 6.3mm input hole should the differences really show, still I would say the Studio-V gave the other two quite an awesome run for their money, not to mention the form factor, portability, wicked battery life and most of all, price. This is a killer DAP and I'm totally sold on it. 

Any chance of a quick comparison summary between the ie80 and pfe232? Am interested in the 232's but they a bit too expensive.

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #2,728 of 7,699
Quote:
Any chance of a quick comparison summary between the ie80 and pfe232? Am interested in the 232's but they a bit too expensive.

Of course I will. Guess there's no beating around the bush about aesthetics, build quality ect...except for the fact that the cables of the PFE 232 feel a bit flimsy, the parts from the Y-split to the respective earpieces. I'll go straight to sonic comparisons.

My typical source is a Sansa clip + . Just tried the Studio-V this morning and am fired up about getting one.

Low : There's no question about the bass quantity in the IE80, massive stuff with good control. The PFE 232 on the other hand, does not deliver as much in the way of quantity (note that it's "as much" that I'm using, the PFE 232 is nowhere bear being bass-lacking), what it does excel over the IE80 is how good the quality is: amazing control with lots of rumbling when called for while not creeping into the mids.Oh, and did I mention that the bass goes really deep? This point is hardly noticeable on the Sansa Clip +, but when being paired with higher end DAP like the Studio it began to show how prominent the bass is, though I expect it will be even better with a high grade dedicated headamp.

Mid: PFE 232 is not a mid-centric pair like Shure SE535, due to the slightly V-shaped sound sig, but it certainly is more forward sounding than the IE80, with a lot more details to boost.

High: High on the PFE is truly magical. Before getting the PFE 232, I used to own the Triple fi 10 along with the IE80. For me, the drawback of the IE80 is somehow its relaxed high, sure, there's nothing horrifyingly wrong with a smoothed high except for one fact that sometimes it's not giving enough a kick to fit the bill and may sound boring. That led me into purchasing the Triple fi 10, but the high was earpiercing and fatiguing, simply speaking it's too much for me besides the notorious fit. Now, the reason why I said the high on the PFE 232 was magical because it got the best of both pairs: it has an uncanny ability to sparkle when required, yet never too bright sounding or fatiguing. It does tread the line of being sibilant and earpiecing sometimes, but never goes into it, making me feel like it has got the perfect amount (or maybe I haven't heard that many top tier IEMs to begin with).

Details: Coming from the IE80, it has been mind blogging for me how much details the PFE 232 manages to pull off. For testing purposes, I tried A/Bing them with the same song with the same listening level (the PFE 232 takes about 4-5 notch higher than the IE80 due to higher impedance), and each and everytime the PFE 232 always keeps showing nuances and micro details which are hidden well in the song, from the extreme small background noises to the sound of the singer taking a breath, etc...Now let me make it clear by saying that the IE80 actually does present those details just fine when I listen again, but say, upon the first listening with a new song, I have the feeling there would be no way the IE80 would make me notice those details as easily as the PFE 232 does. The resolution of the PFE is also much better.

Soundstage: IE80 beats PFE 232 hands down when it comes to sheer soundstage size, but with other aspects like imaging or positioning, the PFE 232 gains a slight upper hand.

Overall I would say the PFE 232 is technically better than the IE80, but then what would be the point of keeping the IE80? My take here is that they are just too different to be compared together as they serve other purposes for me. The IE80 is somehow a "jack of all trades, master of some" to me, it performs well with just about all kinds of music and then excels in some. The PFE 232 on the other hand sounds downright horrible with a lot of my tracks, but when it does well on one, it manages to do it leaps and bounds better than the IE80. From my point of view, the IE80 with its huge bass amount and soundstage size, is all about music enjoyment, while the PFE 232 is actually about music appreciation. They both do offer different flavors, and choosing one will entirely depend on the music approach of the listener. I could not
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back