Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jul 18, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #2,732 of 7,699
thanks alot for the excellent comparison, now if only they were slighter cheaper, or i start earning more money, would buy them in a heartbeat. Oh and just to double check, were you using the grey filters with the pfe's for the comparison?

Jul 18, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #2,733 of 7,699
Quote:
thanks alot for the excellent comparison, now if only they were slighter cheaper, or i start earning more money, would buy them in a heartbeat. Oh and just to double check, were you using the grey filters with the pfe's for the comparison?

Yep. I did use the grey filters on the PFE 232 with the bass setting on the lowest notch on the IE80.

I don't know how much it'd cost to buy in your area, but I grabbed my pair when the promotion was going on, so basically they came along with a free pair of PFE 022 for 400 GBP. By selling the 022 for around 70 pounds, the cost came to 330 pounds, which was actually not that bad, considering the cheapest price for a pair of SE535 is around 300
wink.gif

Quote:
That comparison kinda reminds me of the AKG3003 yet I bet the AKGs are quite a bit more detailed than the PFES :).

I used to think that the level of details of an IEMs was based on the capability of the drivers on reproducing them. Upon comparing between the two, it has become clear to me that instead of that, it depends more on the way details are presented. Let me give you an example about this: Imagine that there was a giant, thick concrete wall and you were standing on one side of it, completely soundproof. On the other side, say, people were being launched by a catapults ( yeah sounds a bit cheesy) into the wall. Because the wall was so thick and noises were not audible, the only way you can know that there was something going on the other side was by observing the slight impacts the "living projectiles" made. That's the way the IE80 delivers the details. Now for the PFE 232, the scenario is the same with a slight twist: the wall in this case was transparent. Because of that, even though you might not be devoting your full attention into the wall, you would know immediately when someone was being launched into it, yet the wall still stood between you and those people. That is to say, details are all there but what matters is in which way and how effortless it is for the IEMs to deliver them to your ears without being swept away by the flow of a track.
I'm quite intrigued on trying out the AKG, but I guess I'll be holding on my arms, my legs and my kidneys
biggrin.gif
. Will be waiting for the upcoming IE800 and seeing how they fare against those.

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #2,734 of 7,699
PFE232 is spectacular iem, I agree with your comparison.

That being said, my IE80 cable broke. Decided to take this opportunity to buy silver cable, just to see if it really makes a difference. 

Jul 19, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #2,735 of 7,699
I got the IE80 today. So far, pretty good. Needs to open up a bit more and I found a good seal. I only have had them burned it for about 3 hours so still too early to judge. If it gets close to the HD650 signature I'll be very happy.

Jul 19, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #2,736 of 7,699
Quote:
I'm quite surprised - piercing highs and in your face mids are not what you'd use to describe the IE80. Maybe because I haven't had a chance to try out the S4.

Anyway, good going there grabbing an awesome bargain
wink_face.gif
. Now use what you've got left to get a nice DAP
biggrin.gif

well IMO they are a substantial upgrade from them. they have a similar sound signiture but with the ie 80's treble and the mids in particular is MUCH more forward. the ie 80's bass is also much deeper and a little more controllled.

also, for break in i've been running them on my onkyo a-8190's built in headphone amp. it's got adjustments for contrabass, bass, and treble. it also has a great cd direct, so i don't think ill need a headphone amp, but am really looking for portables. how are the fiio's? i saw one (i t hink it was the i17) and it also had a 3 band eq and that's a feature i would really want. 

Jul 20, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #2,738 of 7,699
Quote:
I got the IE80 today. So far, pretty good. Needs to open up a bit more and I found a good seal. I only have had them burned it for about 3 hours so still too early to judge. If it gets close to the HD650 signature I'll be very happy.

how can one tell :< . I've had my IE8's for about 2 months and I have no idea how content I should be. One thing is for sure, bass is lacking compared to other headphones, but everything else is great.

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #2,739 of 7,699
how can one tell :< . I've had my IE8's for about 2 months and I have no idea how content I should be. One thing is for sure, bass is lacking compared to other headphones, but everything else is great.

You think the IE8's has lacking bass? If the IE80s fixed some of the bass issues of the IE8's, then I probably wouldn't like them as I find the IE80s a bit bass heavy enough as it is to my ears.

Jul 21, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #2,741 of 7,699
My ie8s are suffering from a driver issue - I've tried swapping the cables around, cleaning etc. but no question the left one is much quieter than the right.

While I can alter the balance on my iPod to compensate, this is seriously annoying me..and they're outwith their warranty.

So I may pick up a pair of ie80s or Westone 4s, not buying both. Or maybe the Sony EX600/1000s..which would you guys recommend? I did love my ie8s.

Jul 21, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #2,742 of 7,699
Quote:
My ie8s are suffering from a driver issue - I've tried swapping the cables around, cleaning etc. but no question the left one is much quieter than the right.

While I can alter the balance on my iPod to compensate, this is seriously annoying me..and they're outwith their warranty.

So I may pick up a pair of ie80s or Westone 4s, not buying both. Or maybe the Sony EX600/1000s..which would you guys recommend? I did love my ie8s.

Given that you love the IE 8, I'd say the EX600/1000 might fit the bill more than the W4. Or go with the JVC FX700 if you'd like a "brighter" version of the IE 8's sound sig. Have you ever considered getting the IE800?

Jul 21, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #2,743 of 7,699
I've had a look at the ie800s but I'm really wanting something this week coming...think I'll try the ex600s as the ie80s seem to have the same sound as the ie8s, (although I loved it) but I'd like something a bit different.

Probably makes more sense to get the ex600 rather than the ex1000s, reading the reviews

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #2,744 of 7,699
Quote:
I've had a look at the ie800s but I'm really wanting something this week coming...think I'll try the ex600s as the ie80s seem to have the same sound as the ie8s, (although I loved it) but I'd like something a bit different.

Probably makes more sense to get the ex600 rather than the ex1000s, reading the reviews

Well I don't know - value is in the eye of the beholder. It's entirely up to your budget and whether or not you think the increased SQ is worth the jump in the asking price - I found it perfectly reasonable to fork out 3 times the IE6's to get my IE80
wink.gif

Still, it's worth asking opinions from someone who owns both the IE80 and EX1000 - lostid can help.

Jul 21, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #2,745 of 7,699
Screw it: I loved the ie8s so much I'm just going to get the ie80s..and maybe try for an extended warranty.

I just got my x10i recently and am loving them with different genres - classical, jazz, Diana Krall, Joni Mitchell etc. But the ie80s should suit me for just about everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back