Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jul 21, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #2,746 of 7,699
Quote:
Screw it: I loved the ie8s so much I'm just going to get the ie80s..and maybe try for an extended warranty.

I just got my x10i recently and am loving them with different genres - classical, jazz, Diana Krall, Joni Mitchell etc. But the ie80s should suit me for just about everything.

Please post what you think. I'm a fan of the IE8, but I was disappointed by the IE80

Jul 21, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #2,747 of 7,699
Quote:
Screw it: I loved the ie8s so much I'm just going to get the ie80s..and maybe try for an extended warranty.

I just got my x10i recently and am loving them with different genres - classical, jazz, Diana Krall, Joni Mitchell etc. But the ie80s should suit me for just about everything.

The IE80s are an improvement over the IE8 IMO. The mid bass was too much on the IE8 and that made it unusable without a major EQ in the bass area. The IE80 on the other hand has noticeably more control over it's midbass and its mid-range is more upfront and clearer. Same as the treble. It's more detailed. Sound stage is a bit smaller but what you get it a more intimate sound over the IE8.

Jul 21, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #2,748 of 7,699
I did use EQ to tone down the mid bass a little on the ie8s - apart from that I really loved them..just a shame they lasted a mere 2-and-a-half years, outside of the warranty, although I did give them some heavy handed usage.

With everything I've read up on the ie80s, I'm sure I'll like them as much..pity my wallet.

Jul 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #2,750 of 7,699
The bass on the the IE80 is and improvement over the IE8. Faster and tighter. If you look at my previous posts you will see that I love the IE80 and recommend them. However, I got the chance to hear the Audeo PFE 232 today and I was gobsmacked. The bass response is phenomenal. The sub bass is awesome. I've heard a lot of top tier iems and have never heard bass like it. It puts my HD650 with the Graham Slee Solo amp to shame. It only has two balanced armatures but they make me want to throw my W4R, which has four balanced armatures, in the bin. If you can afford them, get them.

Jul 21, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #2,751 of 7,699
You think they are better than the IE80?

I was under the impression that BA drivers had worse bass response than dynamic.

Do you have any other reccomendations in the £100-£250 bracket?

I want deep tight sub bass.... nice midrange and smooth treble and good soundstage.

What about the audeo 132?

Jul 21, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #2,752 of 7,699
Hmmm I was thinking I'd have one BA pair, (X10i) one dynamic driver, (ie80) and my mid-range beyerdynamics.

The PFE 232 is something else to consider..or maybe the SM3. Still swayed by the ie80 though (I think).

Jul 21, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #2,753 of 7,699
Quote:

I was under the impression that BA drivers had worse bass response than dynamic.

I want deep tight sub bass.... nice midrange and smooth treble and good soundstage.

My x10i have really good bass for a BA iem.

Jul 22, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #2,754 of 7,699
Quote:
The bass on the the IE80 is and improvement over the IE8. Faster and tighter. If you look at my previous posts you will see that I love the IE80 and recommend them. However, I got the chance to hear the Audeo PFE 232 today and I was gobsmacked. The bass response is phenomenal. The sub bass is awesome. I've heard a lot of top tier iems and have never heard bass like it. It puts my HD650 with the Graham Slee Solo amp to shame. It only has two balanced armatures but they make me want to throw my W4R, which has four balanced armatures, in the bin. If you can afford them, get them.

The PFE232 are excellent and have amazing bass weight and extension for dual BAs, but to my ears the W4 have better bass detail and texture. I actually prefer the 232's highs markedly over the W4's though.

Quote:

BA drivers have first and foremost different bass texture. The rest is dependent on tuning and the PFE232 are tuned to produce impressive bass impact for BAs, while retaining more bass clarity than most DDs.

In your price bracket I'd give the TDK BA200 a try, dual BAs with very good bass extension and speed, just a tad less impact than the 232s. The highs are more laid back and closer to the W4 than 232.
The PFE132 are great IEMs for the price, but probably too bass light for your taste.

Jul 22, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #2,755 of 7,699
Quote:

Intriguing. Which source did you pair the PFE 232 with?

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #2,758 of 7,699
Quote:
*ahem* avatar *ahem*

cool
normal_smile%20.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back