Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
May 24, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #2,537 of 7,699
Quote:
For me the IE80 have more bass than the HD650, but that's all :)
To tell the truth, I'm not listening on the same source and I can't really compare between both ...

So i suppose the HD650 excels in all other areas? It would be great if you could do a fair comparison. Same source, files, etc. Im really starting to get a bigger interest in full sized cans. Currently looking at the Senn HD650 and HD700.

May 24, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #2,538 of 7,699
My sources Maverick A1 and Little Dot MKIII are not adapted for IEM impedances, this is the problem when comparing oranges with apples, the result will be biased. The HD650 have less bass but they are juste awesome. I like both but at home I use only the HD650 due to the better sources. They are made ​​for different uses !

EDIT: You need a good amp to get the most of the HD650.

May 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #2,539 of 7,699
Man my ie80 has been collecting dust recently. Not that I am no longer satisfied with the sound, it's just the synergy from RB'd ipod 5G (with some hardware tweaking) and the EX1000 has so far poisoned me badly.
wink_face.gif

May 24, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #2,540 of 7,699
Quote:
Man my ie80 has been collecting dust recently. Not that I am no longer satisfied with the sound, it's just the synergy from RB'd ipod 5G (with some hardware tweaking) and the EX1000 has so far poisoned me badly.

Time to sell your IE80?

May 25, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #2,545 of 7,699
Quote:
This is probably an unorthodox question, but has anyone compared the IE80s to something like the Senns HD650 or even the HD800? How does the IE80 hold up? Things like bass, mids, treble, soundstage, and overall listening experience. I know it's sort of an apples to oranges comparison, but i want to get a good idea of how these IEMs compare to full size cans. I have yet to experience the sound of a proper audiophile full size headphone so i want to know how the sound of the IE80s sound compared to them seeing as how im so used to it's sound by now.

The closest IEM that gets to the HD650 stock is actually the IE8 stock, the IE80 is more mid centric, as for HD800 it is fairly neutral and without the emphasis on bass or mid bass, but you could say the IE80 with sliver cable, mids and sound representation comes closer to that of the HD800 less the bass accents, even at minimum bass boost. This is stated based only according to sound, the ear flapping and peculiarities had been ignored, just as comparing speakers to headphones. YMMV.

May 25, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #2,546 of 7,699
I think the IE 8 is more distant with vocals compared to the HD650.
Quote:
The closest IEM that gets to the HD650 stock is actually the IE8 stock, the IE80 is more mid centric, as for HD800 it is fairly neutral and without the emphasis on bass or mid bass, but you could say the IE80 with sliver cable, mids and sound representation comes closer to that of the HD800 less the bass accents, even at minimum bass boost. This is stated based only according to sound, the ear flapping and peculiarities had been ignored, just as comparing speakers to headphones. YMMV.

May 26, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #2,547 of 7,699
I have received my IE80 yesterday. Left it burn in for more than 13 hours throughout the night but it still does not sound good. The bass is less boomy now but still boomy. The treble is less now but still slightly too much. The sound signature sounds like when the EQ is adjusted to V-shape. Slight too much bass and treble. Also, it does not sounds as natural as HD650. I will let it burn it few more days to 2 weeks. Will listen to it again after 100 hours and 200 hours.

I am used to the good quality and sound signature of HD650 using flac -> Bifrost -> Lyr (see my signature). Since IE80 cost about the same price as HD650, my expectation for IE80 is the sound quality is on par or just slightly below HD650. So far I am dissappointed. Currently with 13 hours burn in, the sound quality is no where near HD650. Regarding sound signature, IE80 sounds different from HD650. HD650 sound much better currently. I have tested IE80 and HD650 with my E17. I even tested it them both on my Bifrost -> Lyr. I actually plug in the IE80 to my Lyr using a 6.3mm Male to 3.5mm Female adapter. Both IE80 and HD650 are using stock cable.

IE80 with the 6.3mm Male to 3.5mm Female adapter. IE80 looks awesome (like a bodybuilder on steroid) with the adapter.

IE80 plugged in to Lyr

May 26, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #2,548 of 7,699
Quote:
I have received my IE80 yesterday. Left it burn in for more than 13 hours throughout the night but it still does not sound good. The bass is less boomy now but still boomy. The treble is less now but still slightly too much. The sound signature sounds like when the EQ is adjusted to V-shape. Slight too much bass and treble. Also, it does not sounds as natural as HD650. I will let it burn it few more days to 2 weeks. Will listen to it again after 100 hours and 200 hours.

I am used to the good quality and sound signature of HD650 using flac -> Bifrost -> Lyr (see my signature). Since IE80 cost about the same price as HD650, my expectation for IE80 is the sound quality is on par or just slightly below HD650. So far I am dissappointed. Currently with 13 hours burn in, the sound quality is no where near HD650. Regarding sound signature, IE80 sounds different from HD650. HD650 sound much better currently. I have tested IE80 and HD650 with my E17. I even tested it them both on my Bifrost -> Lyr. I actually plug in the IE80 to my Lyr using a 6.3mm Male to 3.5mm Female adapter. Both IE80 and HD650 are using stock cable.

IE80 with the 6.3mm Male to 3.5mm Female adapter. IE80 looks awesome (like a bodybuilder on steroid) with the adapter.

IE80 plugged in to Lyr

Uh, why are you plugging it into that Lyr? Just play it direct or through your Fiio, FYI the Lyr was intended for Isodynamic cans.

HD650 with StefanAudioArtEquinox cables

The HD650 plays best on the Lehman BCL USB DAC. It has finesse and keeps a very good control on bass.

Or great with this WA6SE as well

But after all that, this combination beats the hell out of everything that I have heard, a simple O2 and DT48A setup.

May 26, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #2,549 of 7,699
the IE80 through the lyr is not only a bad idea, but it also is not a good pairing. No wonder you don't like the sound of the IE80 though it. I can attest to IE8/Lyr, but I haven't tried it with IE80's though.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back