Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #6,736 of 7,699
So, my question is. Does someone else know any more hints on how to drive this IEMs with heavy metal? (it is really sad to have such a high end IEM that can't deliver your favorite genre).

There is nothing you can do other than tape mod, don't believe in cable nonsense and no point in amping such as low impedance extremely sensitive earphone, you can just make it worse with it. Of course you can play a bit with equalizer but they sound like they sound... Changing the tips might give you better seal = bit more rumbling bass but better isolation, anyways that wouldn't exactly help with sound itself, if it's slow will remain slow :/ 

Oct 1, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #6,737 of 7,699
i had the IE80 for a few days and had to return them. just way too veiled for me. i have the senn hd600 and momentums and love them both so it's nothing against sennheiser. i then purchased the DUNU DN-2000J's and they were a refreshing change of pace. 

Oct 1, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #6,738 of 7,699
There is nothing you can do other than tape mod, don't believe in cable nonsense and no point in amping such as low impedance extremely sensitive earphone, you can just make it worse with it. Of course you can play a bit with equalizer but they sound like they sound... Changing the tips might give you better seal = bit more rumbling bass but better isolation, anyways that wouldn't exactly help with sound itself, if it's slow will remain slow :/ 

It is such a shame. I mean, they are great IEMs (classical sounds gorgeous) but perhaps they are not suited for me. Would you consider a Shure 535 a better option?

Oct 1, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #6,739 of 7,699
It is such a shame. I mean, they are great IEMs (classical sounds gorgeous) but perhaps they are not suited for me. Would you consider a Shure 535 a better option?

I personally wouldn't even in my wildest dreams... I couldn't get anything with less bass than IE80, only think I'd improve is that "veil", mid bass bloat or whatever they call it, around ~150 Hz which makes them sound "slow" and with less clear lower mid range (upper bass). 

SE535 isn't nearly as fun for me as IE80, but there are people that prefer it rather than IE80 so it's up to your taste... It's a bit more expensive option but ex-ex-flagship of Sony EX1000 would maybe be best option for you, dynamic driver that has extremely good sub bass, very good bass overall without being veiled or slow like IE80, they sound more clear and precise but highs can be sibilant which may present huge problem (reason why I like IE80 more), if you are good with that you should consider them. 

Oct 1, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #6,740 of 7,699

I personally wouldn't even in my wildest dreams... I couldn't get anything with less bass than IE80, only think I'd improve is that "veil", mid bass bloat or whatever they call it, around ~150 Hz which makes them sound "slow" and with less clear lower mid range (upper bass). 

SE535 isn't nearly as fun for me as IE80, but there are people that prefer it rather than IE80 so it's up to your taste... It's a bit more expensive option but ex-ex-flagship of Sony EX1000 would maybe be best option for you, dynamic driver that has extremely good sub bass, very good bass overall without being veiled or slow like IE80, they sound more clear and precise but highs can be sibilant which may present huge problem (reason why I like IE80 more), if you are good with that you should consider them. 

Have you thought about the Noble line of products?

Oct 2, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #6,741 of 7,699
Hello IE80 enthusiasts!

I recently bought this IEMs in full retail price and I can't say I'm completely pleased. It hasnt been a let down but it isn't either the iem I was expecting.

I'm in love of instrument separation and music clarity. I feel I can listen everything with great depth. However, I feel this iem to be very slow, and that the sound stage is so big that some stuff get lost on the process.

I have done the tape mod and I'm amazed how a simple thing changed completely the sound. My favorite genre is heavy metal and before the mod, listening to fast music was really depressive.

So, my question is. Does someone else know any more hints on how to drive this IEMs with heavy metal? (it is really sad to have such a high end IEM that can't deliver your favorite genre).

I never really got the idea of a sound good for a genre. it's hard to know what you are missing, if it's simply trying to get something more neutral, then the IE80 was a super bad idea from the get go and you should sell it. 
try to EQ the 200hz region down a few db and see if it feels like an improvement to you.
same thing by rising the 2 or 3khz a little.
both being a kind of follow up on the tape mod.

Oct 2, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #6,742 of 7,699
  i had the IE80 for a few days and had to return them. just way too veiled for me. i have the senn hd600 and momentums and love them both so it's nothing against sennheiser. i then purchased the DUNU DN-2000J's and they were a refreshing change of pace. 

Out of curiosity, compared to what other IEMs did the IE80 sounded veiled?

Oct 2, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #6,743 of 7,699
So I tried out the JVC Spiral Dot tips and they did not help the comfort or sound for me.  Biggest culprit I assume is sizing; I bought Mediums and probably need Large.

Is anyone interested since I have no use for them?  There were 6 to the packages and I A/B-ed 2 of them for an hour or so (and already cleaned them thoroughly).  I probably overpaid in my impatience to try them out, but I can do $10 shipped if anyone is interested?  Or I can just split them out into 3 pairs for whatever shipping runs me?  I would hate to just throw these away...

Oct 2, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #6,744 of 7,699
So I tried out the JVC Spiral Dot tips and they did not help the comfort or sound for me.  Biggest culprit I assume is sizing; I bought Mediums and probably need Large.

Is anyone interested since I have no use for them?  There were 6 to the packages and I A/B-ed 2 of them for an hour or so (and already cleaned them thoroughly).  I probably overpaid in my impatience to try them out, but I can do $10 shipped if anyone is interested?  Or I can just split them out into 3 pairs for whatever shipping runs me?  I would hate to just throw these away...

I might be interested. I am in Canada though, would there be extra cost for shipping?

Oct 2, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #6,745 of 7,699
I might be interested. I am in Canada though, would there be extra cost for shipping?

No idea.  Never shipped anything to Canadia, but cannot imagine it would be THAT expensive.  If you don't care for the box, the tips easily fit inside a regular envelope.  If you want to PM me your info I will look into it over the weekend.

P.S. To Big Brother, hopefully I am not breaking any rules with this offering.  If I am, my apologies and have mercy :)

Oct 2, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #6,746 of 7,699
The ie80 is definitely a classic. .I think it's a very underated iem for sure.it is also one of the iems I have had the longest and will not sell or trade and I've sold and traded lots away looking for something better then I currently had..other then the sound the built quality of these are top notch..I've had my pair about three years now and they still look and sound great.if your looking for a phone for extreme clinical listening do not buy.although the detail is still pretty good.but if you just want to listen and enjoy the music like it's intended to these are a great..just my 2cents. .happy listening.

Oct 2, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #6,747 of 7,699
The ie80 is definitely a classic. .I think it's a very underated iem for sure.it is also one of the iems I have had the longest and will not sell or trade and I've sold and traded lots away looking for something better then I currently had..other then the sound the built quality of these are top notch..I've had my pair about three years now and they still look and sound great.if your looking for a phone for extreme clinical listening do not buy.although the detail is still pretty good.but if you just want to listen and enjoy the music like it's intended to these are a great..just my 2cents. .happy listening.

I believe. I think there are several reasons. Like: 1. it's very picky of source and file quality. 2. It needs more time burn in. 3. the stock tips are all really bad! 4. Seems many people do not like warm sound signature. 5. it does have too much bass! 

Oct 2, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #6,748 of 7,699

I never really got the idea of a sound good for a genre. it's hard to know what you are missing, if it's simply trying to get something more neutral, then the IE80 was a super bad idea from the get go and you should sell it. 
try to EQ the 200hz region down a few db and see if it feels like an improvement to you.
same thing by rising the 2 or 3khz a little.
both being a kind of follow up on the tape mod.

I wasn't looking for a precise neutral flat IEM (I'm really bad at describing the sound I want, sorry).
I was looking something with nice instrument separation, clarity that also had some "spark" added to it. 

Doing lots of experimentation with the EQ I managed to find the kind of sound I was looking for.
Here is a picture of said experimentation (Maybe um destroying the sound signature of the IE80?): 

Anyway, in quiet places said EQ makes the IE80 a killer IEM (for heavy metal). While boosting the 8k and 2k bands made everything sound faster and deadlier.
However, all my problems related to the IE80 at this point is when I use them outside. The combination between a wide soundstage and a poor isolation creates a certain "crack" between the mid bass and the mids. Ultimately, on the subway, train or bus, the sound gets completely destroyed. 

It has been two days extensive research (applying tape here and removing tips there). I'm starting to get very tired that such IEM needs this much workout to suit my needs. I might give up soon.

Also, did I mention I do not believe in burn in?

Oct 3, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #6,749 of 7,699

Also, did I mention I do not believe in burn in?

You increased 125 Hz? Very strange... that is the only real con of IE80 and the main thing that ruins sound and makes it veiled. Most people either reduce 125 Hz or buy other iems, and you increased it, never seen this before.

And about burn in... there is nothing to believe in or not. Buy a second pair of the same earphones you've been using (some cheap will do also) and listen to them out of the box, sound is different. Friend bought IE80 half a year after me, they sounded very differently (we even tried left earphone mine right his and the other way around, just to make 100% sure it's really different, and it was). After 3 weeks they sounded the same. Even many manufacturers have a suggested burn in time for their headphones. And they measure differently which you can test yourself if you have any recorder or smartphone (in case you don't hear obvious difference you can measure and see the difference, but even then it's not relevant for you since you don't hear it, however nothing to do with believing in burn in once you measure). It is not a matter of opinion.

So better do test then to believe, same with everything else, 24 bit audio for example... do test and make sure you don't believe but rather know

Oct 3, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #6,750 of 7,699
Underrated?? Some have always to complain about something. I agree on their classic status, as 4 years after their release, intrest remains unbroken. Mine are two year and equiped with comply. What I like the most is the spaciness as if music comes from all sides, works really good with complex progressive rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back