Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Oct 5, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #6,766 of 7,699
Okay, well burn-in controversy aside, I maintain that my IE8 needed 400 hours or so of burn in before they started to sound like proper IEMs. So if the IE80 are anything like the IE8, then you got a long way to go.

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #6,767 of 7,699
flat hearth controversy aside, be very careful when you reach the edge.
wink_face.gif

so your way of solving the matter is to decide you were always right and ignore the rest. that's nice.

Oct 5, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #6,769 of 7,699
Hello fellas,

I bit the bullet and purchased my first Hi-Fi IEM Senn IE80s from B and H, did that Sennheiser authenticate check too - So I guess I'm good now (was worried about the Amazon's fake IEM stuff with IE8 and 80s and all that crap..) after GR07s story
Being new to this level of IEM class I share my first impressions since 24+ hrs...

Source - Asus Zenphone 2 with Z3580 SoC - Realtek Soundchip - fair (not so powerful as the Wolfson on the Galaxy S) with FLAC files for the Downtempo psychedelic trance & electronic, 320Kbps seems to effect & as from my current knowledge base 16ohms need less power and these are highly dependent (FLAC vs 320Kbps is different especially noticable with the Progressive rock types - Will leave this genre for next, Veil maybe :3 ) on source & quality of files.

Sound - These have tight and powerful bass (level 0) maintaining superb clairty with high volume output, soft treble and no sibilance from the GR07 BE's with the super wide 3D soundstage, but the clarity of VSonics was excellent against these with less less powerful bass & slow bass for me I guess (felt like they are recessed).

Build - Feel great and sturdy so far, with that replacable cable is a huge plus point over others & ofc they look superb in ears, got a pelican 1010 case too !!

Comfort & Fit, Isolation - Unlike others I found these comfortable like the VSonics, good for me :wink:, except my right ear is different to left one & needs time to fit properly, Plus maybe as said in the previous posts Isolation / Fit / Seal could be 80% (I'm sure that fit is good, since the bass punch is excellent maintaing the sound), using small silicone tips which I found better than the M ones- bigger for my ears (will try the foamies later), didn't yet tried these outside for now, will do tomorrow and then compare the VSonics signature against these..

EDIT: Attached picture below - To my surprise I found this difference between the L and R earpiece (broadline and distorted 'S' ). Are these by any chance fake or refurb check the cable too, as it remains bended when freely held.

It'll be disaster if these are fake, c'mon the sound was good, ?! (sorry noob here)

I'm on my phone and can't expand your pics. Your description of the sound is about right so I doubt you have a problem. Especially as you say you authenticated them on Sennheiser's website. Cable seems a little odd though. I have the IE8 and the cable is very soft and flexible. I thought the 80 used the same cable. Probably nothing to worry about. If they sound good you are golden. Fakes sound carp from what I read. HTH.

Oct 5, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #6,770 of 7,699
It'll be disaster if these are fake, c'mon the sound was good, ?! (sorry noob here)

It seems original to me. My IE80 cable looks just about the same.
If the sound is good, and the bass knob makes a difference when you turn it, they are original with no doubt.

Oct 5, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #6,771 of 7,699
I'm on my phone and can't expand your pics. Your description of the sound is about right so I doubt you have a problem. Especially as you say you authenticated them on Sennheiser's website. Cable seems a little odd though. I have the IE8 and the cable is very soft and flexible. I thought the 80 used the same cable. Probably nothing to worry about. If they sound good you are golden. Fakes sound carp from what I read. HTH.

In terms of the cable the IE80s cable, at least on my one was not the same as the original IE8 cable. The IE8 cable is grey and more softer and easily coils. The IE80 cable is black, more stiff and does not flex as much as the original IE8 cable. It also seems to crack a bit more in cold weather which the original IE8 cable very rarely did (Two IE8 cables in four years, two IE80 cables in 18 months).

Definitive downgrade in my opinion. Because of the picture quality can't really say if fake or not,.

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #6,774 of 7,699
You can trust Amazon in this respect. The reason for the big price drop, is that Amazon buy complete production units( can be a 3 month production) , price get. Higher when only few are left. I know this from an insider

Oct 17, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #6,775 of 7,699
Hello fellas,

I bit the bullet and purchased my first Hi-Fi IEM Senn IE80s from B and H, did that Sennheiser authenticate check too - So I guess I'm good now (was worried about the Amazon's fake IEM stuff with IE8 and 80s and all that crap..) after GR07s story
Being new to this level of IEM class I share my first impressions since 24+ hrs...

Source - Asus Zenphone 2 with Z3580 SoC - Realtek Soundchip - fair (not so powerful as the Wolfson on the Galaxy S) with FLAC files for the Downtempo psychedelic trance & electronic, 320Kbps seems to effect & as from my current knowledge base 16ohms need less power and these are highly dependent (FLAC vs 320Kbps is different especially noticable with the Progressive rock types - Will leave this genre for next, Veil maybe :3 ) on source & quality of files.

Sound - These have tight and powerful bass (level 0) maintaining superb clairty with high volume output, soft treble and no sibilance from the GR07 BE's with the super wide 3D soundstage, but the clarity of VSonics was excellent against these with less less powerful bass & slow bass for me I guess (felt like they are recessed).

Build - Feel great and sturdy so far, with that replacable cable is a huge plus point over others & ofc they look superb in ears, got a pelican 1010 case too !!

Comfort & Fit, Isolation - Unlike others I found these comfortable like the VSonics, good for me :wink:, except my right ear is different to left one & needs time to fit properly, Plus maybe as said in the previous posts Isolation / Fit / Seal could be 80% (I'm sure that fit is good, since the bass punch is excellent maintaing the sound), using small silicone tips which I found better than the M ones- bigger for my ears (will try the foamies later), didn't yet tried these outside for now, will do tomorrow and then compare the VSonics signature against these..

EDIT: Attached picture below - To my surprise I found this difference between the L and R earpiece (broadline and distorted 'S' ). Are these by any chance fake or refurb check the cable too, as it remains bended when freely held.

Check their twitter account. They have posted a pic of ie80. Seems similar logo orientation to yours

Oct 17, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #6,776 of 7,699
Yep, they look fine.

@wolfxomg, you're just holding the earpieces at different angles, so obviously one logo will be at a different angle :p If you hold the earpieces as if they are mirroring each other, then it'll look fine.

Like this:

Also regarding the cable, it has probably been tied up in the packaging for quite a while, so it'll have some memory to it. 

Oct 18, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #6,777 of 7,699
Got my self an ie 80 a couple of days ago as I was such a huge fan of ie.8 , But I hear sibilance everywhere, it's driving me mad. Did I get a defective pair or is this normal (bought new from amazon.de)? Also ie 80's cable is terrible/cheap compared to ie 8 or any iem at this price range. 
frown.gif

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #6,778 of 7,699
  Got my self an ie 80 a couple of days ago as I was such a huge fan of ie.8 , But I hear sibilance everywhere, it's driving me mad. Did I get a defective pair or is this normal (bought new from amazon.de)? Also ie 80's cable is terrible/cheap compared to ie 8 or any iem at this price range. 
frown.gif

for sibilance, my advice would be to go for different tips. they can have a pretty massive impact on the signature. see the graph I posted last page, those are extreme changes I could get from changing insertion depth, tips and level of seal.
the other obvious solution is to use an EQ to lower wherever you need it. maybe try around 5 / 5.5khz first and see what that does?

the cable, I felt like you at first, but cable noises are relatively low IMO. and it's light, so for most uses, I find it to be actually a nice cable. but I sure see where you come from, it feels very cheap.

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #6,779 of 7,699
Got my self an ie 80 a couple of days ago as I was such a huge fan of ie.8 , But I hear sibilance everywhere, it's driving me mad. Did I get a defective pair or is this normal (bought new from amazon.de)? Also ie 80's cable is terrible/cheap compared to ie 8 or any iem at this price range. :frowning2:  
Let them burn in for a couple of days. Experiment with the tips untill you have the best fit. I still love them after 2 years, so no panic:blush:

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #6,780 of 7,699
  Yep, they look fine.

@wolfxomg, you're just holding the earpieces at different angles, so obviously one logo will be at a different angle :p If you hold the earpieces as if they are mirroring each other, then it'll look fine.

Like this:

Also regarding the cable, it has probably been tied up in the packaging for quite a while, so it'll have some memory to it. 

Thanks for sharing your IEMs closeup, I understood what you said, but I was not comfortable with that S being distorted (observe closely) & the lines not being of same width and length- extension upto S. And regarding the cable - Sure there were no microphonics but the quality is too underwhelming for the price premium, my old CX300 and Klipsch S3 have better cables imho.
Sent them back :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back