Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Oct 4, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #6,751 of 7,699
  You increased 125 Hz? Very strange... that is the only real con of IE80 and the main thing that ruins sound and makes it veiled. Most people either reduce 125 Hz or buy other iems, and you increased it, never seen this before.

And about burn in... there is nothing to believe in or not. Buy a second pair of the same earphones you've been using (some cheap will do also) and listen to them out of the box, sound is different. Friend bought IE80 half a year after me, they sounded very differently (we even tried left earphone mine right his and the other way around, just to make 100% sure it's really different, and it was). After 3 weeks they sounded the same. Even many manufacturers have a suggested burn in time for their headphones. And they measure differently which you can test yourself if you have any recorder or smartphone (in case you don't hear obvious difference you can measure and see the difference, but even then it's not relevant for you since you don't hear it, however nothing to do with believing in burn in once you measure). It is not a matter of opinion.

So better do test then to believe, same with everything else, 24 bit audio for example... do test and make sure you don't believe but rather know

about the idea of getting 2 IEMs of the same model, well... been there done that. and the answer didn't say much about burn in, because I'm yet to find 2 pairs of an IEM that have the exact same signature, new or not (even left vs right is challenging for many IEMs).
frown.gif

on the bright side it's pretty hard to notice relatively small differences when they're not on the entire frequency band, just by ear. making yet another compelling case for saying that people misunderstand getting used to an IEM and the IEM changing.
 IEM sound can and does change with time(devil's advocate!!!!), if only with some damping filters getting dirty and clogged. I wouldn't call that burn in, but hey, audiophiles like their fancy names with silly connotations.
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #6,752 of 7,699
I'm a long time believer of burn in. When I first bought my IE8, I was able to listen to them contentedly for the first 50 hours, then noticed that they were getting increasingly sharper on the treble and duller on the lows. So in the end I decided enough was enough and just had them plugged into my PC and had them burnt in for a week. I did quick listening sessions everyday to see how they were coming along. And I noticed that the sound didn't change much at first, but after 300 hours they were starting to sound more and more like they should. I also have a similar experience with my AKG Q701. For the first 10 hours of listening, I hated them. I was really disappointed in the sound and even considered returning them. I thought I should just give them another try at 50 hours and I hated them even more. The music was sibilant and I almost gave up but remembering my IE8s, I kept going. At around 200 hours the top rounded off more and they were finally starting to sound better. Now I can't imagine ever letting them go. I will never sell them since not only are they the last of the Austrian versions, but worth more to me (sentimental value) than they are to anyone else. I'd get about 150 for them now. So I'd never sell them. 

Some earphones I've experienced a lot less impact from burn in, with others none at all. I remember buying a pair of Shure SE535 long time ago as an upgrade to my SE530. Boy did I regret that decision. But in the end its what led me to my Q701, so I have no long term regrets. Long story short, they had piercing highs and I did whatever I could to try and tame them to no luck. Tried burning them in for 100 hours, and realizing that BAs don't burn in and noticing no difference in the sound whatsoever, I gave up and returned them. 

Not all speakers and drivers are the same, and there are differences in their manufacturing tolerances and etc. So I suspect that that is why they sound different (of course design and materials factor here) and burn in differently. For me, I'd continue to believe in the process because I still have my IE8 and Q701 to this day and will continue to keep them long after the IE80 is discontinued and the successor is released. All because they sound right to me now, when they didn't before. 

Oct 4, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #6,753 of 7,699
I'm a long time believer of burn in. When I first bought my IE8, I was able to listen to them contentedly for the first 50 hours, then noticed that they were getting increasingly sharper on the treble and duller on the lows. So in the end I decided enough was enough and just had them plugged into my PC and had them burnt in for a week. I did quick listening sessions everyday to see how they were coming along. And I noticed that the sound didn't change much at first, but after 300 hours they were starting to sound more and more like they should. I also have a similar experience with my AKG Q701. For the first 10 hours of listening, I hated them. I was really disappointed in the sound and even considered returning them. I thought I should just give them another try at 50 hours and I hated them even more. The music was sibilant and I almost gave up but remembering my IE8s, I kept going. At around 200 hours the top rounded off more and they were finally starting to sound better. Now I can't imagine ever letting them go. I will never sell them since not only are they the last of the Austrian versions, but worth more to me (sentimental value) than they are to anyone else. I'd get about 150 for them now. So I'd never sell them. 

Some earphones I've experienced a lot less impact from burn in, with others none at all. I remember buying a pair of Shure SE535 long time ago as an upgrade to my SE530. Boy did I regret that decision. But in the end its what led me to my Q701, so I have no long term regrets. Long story short, they had piercing highs and I did whatever I could to try and tame them to no luck. Tried burning them in for 100 hours, and realizing that BAs don't burn in and noticing no difference in the sound whatsoever, I gave up and returned them. 

Not all speakers and drivers are the same, and there are differences in their manufacturing tolerances and etc. So I suspect that that is why they sound different (of course design and materials factor here) and burn in differently. For me, I'd continue to believe in the process because I still have my IE8 and Q701 to this day and will continue to keep them long after the IE80 is discontinued and the successor is released. All because they sound right to me now, when they didn't before. 
The IE80 is here to stay just as the 600-650 by the big Senn cans, simply because they are still at the top even 4 years after their release, a classic!

Oct 4, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #6,754 of 7,699
I doubt that they'd stick around forever though. But there is no denying that the IE80 are definitely top grade stuff. I still have the IE8 and I have considered selling them in the past but can't bear to go through with it. I do grow attached to things. I might pick up a pair of the IE80 just to see what the fuss is about. But I've recently put cash down on a pair of CIEMs and am looking to get a second pair so that isn't gonna happen anytime soon. 

But one day... I shall get the IE80.

Oct 4, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #6,755 of 7,699
I doubt that they'd stick around forever though. But there is no denying that the IE80 are definitely top grade stuff. I still have the IE8 and I have considered selling them in the past but can't bear to go through with it. I do grow attached to things. I might pick up a pair of the IE80 just to see what the fuss is about. But I've recently put cash down on a pair of CIEMs and am looking to get a second pair so that isn't gonna happen anytime soon. 

But one day... I shall get the IE80.
No need to change but getting them as the differences are minimal in sound, but the IE80 have the bassknob to deal with the amount of bass you want. It is unlikely your IE8 will give up soon, so keep enjoying them:blush:

Oct 4, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #6,756 of 7,699
That's what I was told so I never sold my IE8s. I paid 350 for them brand new and now they're worth... less than 250 I'm sure. IE8s have bass knobs too. :D But mine is generally set to the lowest. That bass can get crazy! It's amazing how clear they sound even with knob turned up to "post-apocalyptic nuclear mega-death". 

I need to stop playing fallout. 

Oct 4, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #6,757 of 7,699
That's what I was told so I never sold my IE8s. I paid 350 for them brand new and now they're worth... less than 250 I'm sure. IE8s have bass knobs too. :D But mine is generally set to the lowest. That bass can get crazy! It's amazing how clear they sound even with knob turned up to "post-apocalyptic nuclear mega-death". 

I need to stop playing fallout. 
I did not know about the bass knob, mine is turned half which is perfect for my needs( mainly progressive rock) specially the one with a healthy amount of bass guitar:blush:

Oct 4, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #6,758 of 7,699
What? you did not know that the IE8 was the grand dad of bass knobs? gasp. kidding. 
But yeah, they do. They were the only pair I knew of at the time to have those knobs. It just blew my mind. Figuratively at first and quite literally once I got adventurous and turned it up to 11 after buying them. 

At first they sound so warm and dark that they sound off. My brain always wonders: what on earth is going on here? Then after 10 minutes my brain goes - hmmmmmmmmmmmm.... moar of disssss.....

Oct 4, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #6,759 of 7,699

but your findings could most of the time go both ways, you just decide to interpret them thinking that it's not you, it's the IEM. but you have no evidence of that.
I'll take the dumbest example I can think of, when I first got the IE80 I often had my ears hurting after an hour or 2. but after about 3 weeks it didn't hurt anymore and I could use them for a longer period of time. that must be burn in.
wink_face.gif

see what I mean? there is what we feel, and there are facts, we do our best to put 2 and 2 together, but we tend to go with the rational that's convenient to us, not much for the solution that has the most probability to being right.

my reasons not to cry out burn in too fast when I notice a change in time:
1: we human suck bad at remembering anything accurately 3 month later unless it was a traumatizing event(anything exceptional helps), and even then the memory will only be more vivid, not automatically closer to reality.
2: before attributing changes to something not clearly proved or demonstrated for the IE80, how about going for reasons that are known? with new IEMs we don't yet know how to place them, we have to try a lot of tips, or sometimes just stick for a long time with the wrong tips, we try different depth insertions to find comfort before sound... all those choices do change sound and not just a little.

here are a few different tips and different insertions.I feel that's a compellng case for audible changes.
  to be fair there is nothing proving it's really like that in your own ear or in mine, as the shape and length of the ear canal plays a great part in deciding the resonance points. but one thing is sure, there is a resonance point and it can be affected by what and how we put it in our ears.
I for one got used to care for that when using my first pair of ER4 many years ago. not going deep enough was creating some horrible harsh spike for me in the 7-8khz area. but just a little deeper, and all was fine. I almost sold it 50times before I found out it was depth that was making me like or dislike the sound. at some point I indeed thought the sound was becoming nicer with time. 
the sibilance of the IE80 IMO is the same kind of problem, we all start with the crap default tips an it's hard to get a proper fit. plus the bass is so strong that we often feel like we don't need a proper seal to listen to this IEM. all those stuff take more or less time for us to find the best sound for us. I'm certainly inclined to believe those stuff to be responsible, or my bad memory? only when both can be cleared out(good luck with that) as non relevant will I start wondering about burn in.

Oct 4, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #6,760 of 7,699
Well, I never really listened to any of my IEMs during the burn in phase. I listened to them 10 minutes, then continued for days, then returned to them for another 10 minutes, etc. I don't know if that's enough for the brain to acclimate to the way a certain IEM sounds, especially since between that time I'd default back to what I had used before. 

The fact that it's controversial just tells me that it's really down to nothing. There are good arguments on both sides, otherwise, we wouldn't still be debating this. Also, in the end, this is really nothing worth arguing over as all it means in the end is that some will put their IEMs or whatever plugged into a source and let it be for hours vs just listening and enjoying what they have. If you don't believe it, then that's good, because chances are you won't be bothering with all that nonsense. 

To be honest, these days I just forget about burn in altogether. As long as my iem sounds decent out of the box I just use it and expect it to work every time I do. I don't really care anymore about it unless I think the sound is horrid in which case it's really just wishful thinking. 

The way I remember it, some stuff I own really seemed to have changed with burn-in. Yay for them. Others, not so much and they still sound a tad crappy after what feels like hundreds of hours (Superlux HD668B I am looking at you). 

So yeah, whatever man. Like most of us are happy to say - just enjoy the music. 

Oct 4, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #6,761 of 7,699

Out of curiosity, compared to what other IEMs did the IE80 sounded veiled?

it was similar to the triple.fi 10 pros whose sound I was looking to get an alternative to. compared to the Dunu D2KJ's that I got after the IE 80's, the Senns were immensely veiled.

Oct 4, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #6,762 of 7,699
To be honest, these days I just forget about burn in altogether. As long as my iem sounds decent out of the box I just use it and expect it to work every time I do. I don't really care anymore about it unless I think the sound is horrid in which case it's really just wishful thinking. 

So yeah, whatever man. Like most of us are happy to say - just enjoy the music. 

This is my conclusion on the subject also. :)

Oct 4, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #6,763 of 7,699
it was similar to the triple.fi 10 pros whose sound I was looking to get an alternative to. compared to the Dunu D2KJ's that I got after the IE 80's, the Senns were immensely veiled.

Veiled, coloured, mid bass hump. Whatever you want to call it. The IE8's are a very flawed 'phone IMO.

Oct 4, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #6,764 of 7,699
Yes, the IE8 are all those things. But the strange thing is, once the brain gets over the oddness of the way they sound, they sound amazing. Last night I listened to my IE8 after months of not using them and they were fantastic as always. But at first listen, yeah... veiled, dark, somewhat unnatural... especially coming from my TF10. The TF10 just sound amazing right away and stay that way. The IE8 needs an adjustment period of about 10 minutes. But once that happens, you appreciate the wide soundstage, the deep bass, clear sound and details. It's all there, even the highs, which don't shimmer the way the TF10 does, far from it, but isn't bad either. I'd give the highs a 7/10. The most amazing thing about the sound is how all the frequencies seem to mash up. It ends up sounding very natural which is odd given how colored they actually are. 

Maybe it's just how I hear them. But there is definitely something unique about the IE8's sound signature. 

Oct 5, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #6,765 of 7,699
Hello fellas,

I bit the bullet and purchased my first Hi-Fi IEM Senn IE80s from B and H, did that Sennheiser authenticate check too - So I guess I'm good now (was worried about the Amazon's fake IEM stuff with IE8 and 80s and all that crap..) after GR07s story
Being new to this level of IEM class I share my first impressions since 24+ hrs...

Source - Asus Zenphone 2 with Z3580 SoC - Realtek Soundchip - fair (not so powerful as the Wolfson on the Galaxy S) with FLAC files for the Downtempo psychedelic trance & electronic, 320Kbps seems to effect & as from my current knowledge base 16ohms need less power and these are highly dependent (FLAC vs 320Kbps is different especially noticable with the Progressive rock types - Will leave this genre for next, Veil maybe :3 ) on source & quality of files.

Sound - These have tight and powerful bass (level 0) maintaining superb clairty with high volume output, soft treble and no sibilance from the GR07 BE's with the super wide 3D soundstage, but the clarity of VSonics was excellent against these with less less powerful bass & slow bass for me I guess (felt like they are recessed).

Build - Feel great and sturdy so far, with that replacable cable is a huge plus point over others & ofc they look superb in ears, got a pelican 1010 case too !!

Comfort & Fit, Isolation - Unlike others I found these comfortable like the VSonics, good for me :wink:, except my right ear is different to left one & needs time to fit properly, Plus maybe as said in the previous posts Isolation / Fit / Seal could be 80% (I'm sure that fit is good, since the bass punch is excellent maintaing the sound), using small silicone tips which I found better than the M ones- bigger for my ears (will try the foamies later), didn't yet tried these outside for now, will do tomorrow and then compare the VSonics signature against these..

EDIT: Attached picture below - To my surprise I found this difference between the L and R earpiece (broadline and distorted 'S' ). Are these by any chance fake or refurb check the cable too, as it remains bended when freely held.

It'll be disaster if these are fake, c'mon the sound was good, ?! (sorry noob here)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back