Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jan 23, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #5,911 of 7,699

Buying a new unit altogether seems like a drastic measure... Especially considering that Lunashops has a replacement cable for as little as US $8. Worth trying out before spending an additional 280 IMO.

That's true, I'm just a little skeptical about these cables because they're all made from China or hong Kong. Can a bad cable ever wreak the ear pieces if they were say bad quality or something?

it's not 1980 anymore, china is still the main source of cheap fake products, but they also happen to be the main source of everything. lunashops as an internet platform is fine, didn't try those cables so I can't tell. else mail sennheiser to see how to get a replacement cable. but you problem is most likely cable related so don't go getting a new pair of IEMs for that.

Jan 23, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #5,912 of 7,699
Here is the flaw in your logic. Yes, the cables are made in China. But they're sennheiser cables, made to Sennheiser specifications and their quality standards. The IE80 are also made in China. To both their specs and quality. So buying a new pair of IE80 to remedy a bad cable is a strange way to solve the problem. New earphones have just as high a chance of failing like your old ones. The new cables have just as high a chance of failing as your old ones did as well. Same factory, same conditions same factors. Just odds at this point. So do yourself a favor and just grab a new set of cables and if you really can't trust Sennheiser cables, spend 100 or even 200 on silver cables of exceedingly high quality. There. Problem solved and you not only get new cables you can trust, but maybe even an upgrade in the process. The whole point of buying a pair of IEMs with replaceable cables is so that you can replace the cables should anything happen to them. They won't safeguard against failures or damages to your driver housing, but it's one less thing to worry about, especially when considering that cable failure account for 95% of equipment failures. In this case your cables failed. You buy new cables. That's the whole point of detachable cables. 

Jan 23, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #5,913 of 7,699
The whole point of buying a pair of IEMs with replaceable cables is so that you can replace the cables should anything happen to them. They won't safeguard against failures or damages to your driver housing, but it's one less thing to worry about, especially when considering that cable failure account for 95% of equipment failures. In this case your cables failed. You buy new cables. That's the whole point of detachable cables. 

Exactly my thought.

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #5,914 of 7,699
Just a question head-fiers. How many of your ie80 boxes came with a qr code? It's like a sticker with a code that lets you check for the authenticity. I ordered a pair off amazon germany and it doesn't have one. The HD598 I ordered (from canada) has one though. Just checking on how many people actually have qr codes.  Thanks

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #5,915 of 7,699
  Just a question head-fiers. How many of your ie80 boxes came with a qr code? It's like a sticker with a code that lets you check for the authenticity. I ordered a pair off amazon germany and it doesn't have one. The HD598 I ordered (from canada) has one though. Just checking on how many people actually have qr codes.  Thanks

IE80's doesnt have qr codes in the box. I dont think they implemented it yet before they release the IE80's in the market. Im not sure but mine doesnt have one too and i got it from Sennhaisers Online store.

Jan 23, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #5,916 of 7,699

I bought mine directly from Amazon these past holidays and do not recall any obvious stickers.  If I don't forget, I will try to find and look over the original box one more time this weekend.

Jan 23, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #5,917 of 7,699
Amazon has two kinds of IE80 now... IE80 and IE80 EAST - What? Is that like Hellman's & Best Foods? The EAST model does not have the phone cable from what I can tell... wonder what the difference is. Pricing is similar, but not exact.

I bought mine directly from Amazon these past holidays and do not recall any obvious stickers.  If I don't forget, I will try to find and look over the original box one more time this weekend.

Authorized IE80's sometimes have a second bar code sticker on them - the fakes usually only come with the one that is part of the box - as it was scanned to make the copy.

Jan 23, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #5,918 of 7,699
  Amazon has two kinds of IE80 now... IE80 and IE80 EAST - What? Is that like Hellman's & Best Foods? The EAST model does not have the phone cable from what I can tell... wonder what the difference is. Pricing is similar, but not exact.

Authorized IE80's sometimes have a second bar code sticker on them - the fakes usually only come with the one that is part of the box - as it was scanned to make the copy.

Amazon always had that.  The only difference between the two...wait for it...packaging languages.  That's it.

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/2486/542574_IE_80_SpSh_08_2011_GB_low.pdf

I did not pay close attention to the box given the purchase source...They definitely do not sound counterfeit, so I am not too worried LOL

Jan 23, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #5,919 of 7,699
  IE80's doesnt have qr codes in the box. I dont think they implemented it yet before they release the IE80's in the market. Im not sure but mine doesnt have one too and i got it from Sennhaisers Online store.

thanks for clearing things up. My box has a second bar code sticker too.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #5,920 of 7,699
  Amazon has two kinds of IE80 now... IE80 and IE80 EAST - What?

When I bought my IE 80 in 2012 there already were 2 versions according to the Sennheiser product leaflet.

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #5,921 of 7,699
When I got mine (East version) from Woot over Black Friday it did not have the QR code. Neither versions come with an in-line remote/mic. 

Jan 24, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #5,922 of 7,699
Hi guys, I have a slightly used but very nice upgrade cable for IE80, 30% under retail price, with manufacturer warranty until 2016.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/736734/sennheiser-ie80-upgrade-cable-with-warranty-for-sale

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #5,923 of 7,699
  Hi guys, I have a slightly used but very nice upgrade cable for IE80, 30% under retail price, with manufacturer warranty until 2016.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/736734/sennheiser-ie80-upgrade-cable-with-warranty-for-sale

the picture isn't an IE80 cable. it looks like the shure connections.

that's the kind of plug you want on a IE80

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #5,924 of 7,699

the picture isn't an IE80 cable. it looks like the shure connections.

that's the kind of plug you want on a IE80

There are the right plugs on the cable. The picture is from internet, and the cable looks exactly the same, but with IE80 plugs.
(I am not that stupid to sell a cable with different plugs. But obviously lazy enough to use a downloaded picture.) :)
I can upload original pictures from my cable, if anybody asks.

Jan 25, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #5,925 of 7,699

There are the right plugs on the cable. The picture is from internet, and the cable looks exactly the same, but with IE80 plugs.
(I am not that stupid to sell a cable with different plugs. But obviously lazy enough to use a downloaded picture.) :)
I can upload original pictures from my cable, if anybody asks.

Here we go... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back