Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jan 20, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #5,897 of 7,699
I have not read through the thread. I just want to share what I know on Sennheiser.
First, they need a such a long time to arrive at its final result. I have cx 980, no much reputation at here. I believe few people have patient to wait it to arrive at its final state. Now I listened more than 1000 hours, and it's a total different earphones from the moment of open-box!! You cannot believe it! When I use nexus 7 with Neutron player to listen to classical music of flac or ape files, wow wow wow!!! Now I began my journal of Ie80. Now my ie80 is about 50 hours, no better than >1000 cx 980, but with more larger soundstage and 3D sound. But you can sense it have tremendous potential! (When I just got it, plug in, and my wife thought it's better than cx 980! But cx 980 also have great soundstage, totally out of head! If as someone share that Havi B3 are 10% larger soundstage than monoprice 8320, cx 980's soundstage should not be smaller than B3. After 1000 hours running, cx 980 have much better mid than at the beginning. Of course ie 80 have better mid. than 980)
Second, anyway, sennheiser's are tuned for classical, no matter 980 or 80, or 8. If you care mid. most, don't buy sennheiser.

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #5,898 of 7,699
  I have not read through the thread. I just want to share what I know on Sennheiser.
First, they need a such a long time to arrive at its final result. I have cx 980, no much reputation at here. I believe few people have patient to wait it to arrive at its final state. Now I listened more than 1000 hours, and it's a total different earphones from the moment of open-box!! You cannot believe it! When I use nexus 7 with Neutron player to listen to classical music of flac or ape files, wow wow wow!!! Now I began my journal of Ie80. Now my ie80 is about 50 hours, no better than >1000 cx 980, but with more larger soundstage and 3D sound. But you can sense it have tremendous potential! (When I just got it, plug in, and my wife thought it's better than cx 980! But cx 980 also have great soundstage, totally out of head! If as someone share that Havi B3 are 10% larger soundstage than monoprice 8320, cx 980's soundstage should not be smaller than B3. After 1000 hours running, cx 980 have much better mid than at the beginning. Of course ie 80 have better mid. than 980)
Second, anyway, sennheiser's are tuned for classical, no matter 980 or 80, or 8. If you care mid. most, don't buy sennheiser.

BTW, I never use any EQ of Neutron.

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #5,899 of 7,699
I really admire Sennheiser. When every company is trying to build BA with 4, 5, 6.... drivers, Senn. keeps doing traditional driver. When many companies try to improve SQ with 2 or more drivers, Senn. keep working on 1 driver, and keep producing high end products. Only from this one point, I think Senn. 800/80/8 are the best IEMs in the world.

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #5,900 of 7,699
Good stuff Yangian. I don't agree with a lot of what you say. But I love the way you say it.
Nice passionate post. :)
Whatever else, you are right. Sennheiser deserve respect. And love!

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #5,901 of 7,699
beerchug.gif

Jan 21, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #5,903 of 7,699
The right earphone area where you slide eartips over on my ie80s snapped.. :frowning2:

Just wondering, has this happened to anyone? Any ideas? My warranty is up and I was thinking of just gluing it back together.. 
Got to be worth a try. Plastic is notoriously difficult to glue though. Plastic is a "waxy" material. You could try superglue. I must admit the only thing that I usually manage to glue successfully is my fingers! Maybe Google glue for hard plastics.

Jan 21, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #5,904 of 7,699
  The right earphone area where you slide eartips over on my ie80s snapped.. 
frown.gif

Just wondering, has this happened to anyone? Any ideas? My warranty is up and I was thinking of just gluing it back together.. 

Damn. That sucks.  Before you do anything may be it is worth contacting Sennheiser and see if they can do anything for you?  That's an awfully small piece to glue back too...Sucks nevertheless.  Keep us posted regardless!

Jan 21, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #5,905 of 7,699
  The right earphone area where you slide eartips over on my ie80s snapped.. 
frown.gif

It happened to mine as well. When I first put on the custom sleeves. It was such a tight fit, for small twist that little plastic stucked in the custom sleeve. (You can imagine, how happy I was.) :) If you put it back and turn it, it clicks to its place. It is not broken. But quite easily comes out again. I think, it was originally glued, and by time (mine was almost 2 years old that time) the glue just release, and for slight twisting movement that piece can come off.
 I used a small drop of superglue to put it back. (a year ago) All good since then. 

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #5,906 of 7,699

that's how good I am at photoshop, I made this myself in less that 20days. \o/

the tube is shaped like this if nothing is broken. the 2 little extensions go into the earpiece's 2 openings, and when in place you just turn 90degree(like some kinds of lightbulbs) to lock the tip in place.
if you broke one or most likely both little plastic extensions, you might want to make sure they didn't fall inside the IEM.
about using superglue/crazy glue, I don't think there is any danger as long as you stay away from the driver's membrane and let the piece get fresh air for some time(don't put it back in a box right away). I used very very little of it to fix mine because one side kept going unlocked when I pressed and turned my comply foam before placing it into my ear. I used a needle to take a little glue and put it on the 2 little openings of the lock system. it never moved again, but I did have a non broken tube so it might not go as well if something is broken.
good luck anyway.

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #5,907 of 7,699
Hey guys, My ie8 cables aren't working properly in that sometimes one ear piece isn't playing music and the other is and visa versa.  Do you think i should look for a replacement cable for it or just buy ie80s which are going for 280 on amazon right now.  Thanks

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #5,909 of 7,699
  Hey guys, My ie8 cables aren't working properly in that sometimes one ear piece isn't playing music and the other is and visa versa.  Do you think i should look for a replacement cable for it or just buy ie80s which are going for 280 on amazon right now.  Thanks

Yeah, better try cable first, also IE80 doesn't sound any better than IE8... Some people somehow hear the difference, but I think even Sennheiser said there were no changes to the sound, not sure tho. Anyways not worth getting IE80 over 8 if only cables are the problem

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #5,910 of 7,699
Buying a new unit altogether seems like a drastic measure... Especially considering that Lunashops has a replacement cable for as little as US $8. Worth trying out before spending an additional 280 IMO.

That's true, I'm just a little skeptical about these cables because they're all made from China or hong Kong. Can a bad cable ever wreak the ear pieces if they were say bad quality or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back