Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #5,881 of 7,699
  I tried a male to female I bought from Amazon and it made the audio quality crap. Perhaps I need a male+male to female? (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021813&p_id=5613&seq=1&format=2)

I'm worried it will still not work...

I cannot imagine why anyone would need two male plugs like this.

I'm just curious if anyone else can hear the "crap" the new extension cable introduces, or if you are trying to talk ourself into buying a more expensive cable. While it's certainly possible the cable you got is defective or really really cheap, a decent extension cable, like that from monoprice, should work fine.

I'm actually in the same boat and I ordered this cable, but I have not received it.

Thanks! The only thing I am concerned about is that I ordered something just like that from amazon, and it made the audio quality crap. It was just female to male, so maybe I need to try female to male+male (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021813&p_id=5613&seq=1&format=2)

I still am just concerned it won't work out again...hmm.

OK, here's another thought. I'm using an IE8i cable on my IE80's, so I can get the mic and remote. The 4 pole plug on the cable doesn't work well with a 3 pole extension cable! As Dinerenblanc mentioned, make sure to get an extension cable with the same number of poles (rings) on the connectors. 

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #5,882 of 7,699
Can someone please give me an overview on the IE80 vs. IE800 for EDM, namely house and techno, and WHY?  I've read the IE800 has more sub-bass than the IE80?

Price wise in the UK I can get new and sealed IE80 for £200, or used IE800 for £400.  Budget is up to circa £400 or a little more.

Of course any other IEM suggestions are welcome which I can investigate.  I previously/currently owned Hippo VB and Sony XB90 but want something more up market now.

I've cross posted in the IE800 thread too for a balanced response.

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #5,883 of 7,699
I did a little bit of tip rolling and ended up managing putting the silicone tips included with the Audio Technica IM series on the IE80 - quite a feat considering the tip inner diameter is MUCH smaller than the nozzle diameter of the IE80. The stems on these tips are quite long and that helps with the fit for me.

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #5,884 of 7,699
BTW, I apologize in advance if this has been brought up numerous times, there was just too many pages to look through in this thread. 

Can someone recommend a sub $200 DAP for the IE80? I'm on a budget, but looking to get something that bests my iPhone 4S. At the moment, I'm able to get the best sound from my iPhone 4S, using an app called Accudio Pro, which has a matched profile the IE80, and then I tweak the EQ a little bit to get pretty good sound. The app improves upon the clarity and widens the soundstage without sounding artificial, using my lossless music. But I'd rather having something that does this natively for the most part. I'm looking for a decent DAP with EQ ability on a budget. 

If using the iPhone 4S native music app, the soundstage is narrower, and the music does seem a hair lifeless for Rock/classic rock. But it's perfect for Rap/R&B, but I don't listen to those genres as often. I used to be anti-EQ, but this app really does make a huge difference. I don't wish to use an amp, I just want a native source directly connected, since these are low impedance. I have tried these earphones with my Fiio E7, and the sound was too dark for my taste. I'm looking for something that won't round the highs/treble too much, and will widen the soundstage a bit. 

I was looking at the Fiio X1, and the X3, and the iBasso DX50. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #5,885 of 7,699
I just bought a FiiO X1 for my Sennheiser IE80s, it sounds good but I would say that I still get sibiliance and harshness on the high end. It's no where near as bad and muddied also like my mobile phone but it's still there. Not sure how to get rid of it, maybe it's my sensitive ears but go for an X1.

If anyone could recomend a pair of headphones like the IE80 with not so bright high end (but still clear..) and maybe a better seal it would be greatley appreciated.

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #5,886 of 7,699
The EQ on the Accudio app actually has a slider for simblance, and I was able to tone it down. Have you tried the EQ in the X1? Also, how much have you burned in your IE80? I heard simblance goes down between 200-400 hours. How is the soundstage with the X1?

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #5,887 of 7,699
The EQ on the Accudio app actually has a slider for simblance, and I was able to tone it down. Have you tried the EQ in the X1? Also, how much have you burned in your IE80? I heard simblance goes down between 200-400 hours. How is the soundstage with the X1?

That's cool. I have but I think the restriction in the number of bands doesn't let me take down the exact frequencies. I think is it 8k range i toned down a bit which helps a bit but anymore I start to loose sound clarity I think as you'd naturally expect.

I'm not good at judging soundstage but it sounds thick and fairly good.

I haven't burned in my IE80, still don't know if thats a myth. Maybe i'll try leaving my headphones with pink noise or something. I have maybe only listened to 20 hours.

Jan 6, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #5,888 of 7,699
Guys I need a little help here. I bought the IE80's and am not really impressed with the mids. I mean from the sennheizer reputation and everything I thought that even being a bass oriented IEM it would have a more precise and accurate mid section :frowning2: Can anyone recomend an IEM In that price range that compares to the IE80's but has a more mid-oriented sound signature?

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #5,889 of 7,699
  BTW, I apologize in advance if this has been brought up numerous times, there was just too many pages to look through in this thread. 

Can someone recommend a sub $200 DAP for the IE80? I'm on a budget, but looking to get something that bests my iPhone 4S. At the moment, I'm able to get the best sound from my iPhone 4S, using an app called Accudio Pro, which has a matched profile the IE80, and then I tweak the EQ a little bit to get pretty good sound. The app improves upon the clarity and widens the soundstage without sounding artificial, using my lossless music. But I'd rather having something that does this natively for the most part. I'm looking for a decent DAP with EQ ability on a budget. 

If using the iPhone 4S native music app, the soundstage is narrower, and the music does seem a hair lifeless for Rock/classic rock. But it's perfect for Rap/R&B, but I don't listen to those genres as often. I used to be anti-EQ, but this app really does make a huge difference. I don't wish to use an amp, I just want a native source directly connected, since these are low impedance. I have tried these earphones with my Fiio E7, and the sound was too dark for my taste. I'm looking for something that won't round the highs/treble too much, and will widen the soundstage a bit. 

I was looking at the Fiio X1, and the X3, and the iBasso DX50. 

My advice (I have FiiO X3, had AK100 and used AK120) is not to buy ANY player for IE80.
It will not sound any better than from iPhone 4S unless you want to crank up volume to hurting levels (because these players have more powerful amp). DAC chip in iPhone is very good and indistinguishable from DAC in some other players that are 'technically' better. Also since the IE80s are very sensitive and low impedance iems you don't need amp stronger than that in iPhones. I haven't gained anything from my IE80 by switching from Nexus 5 to AK100 or FiiO X3 (tho these players are great if you need to drive some higher impedance phones too, less sensitive).

Just save the money, or at least try before buying but really most of the people get players just for the sake of hobby and just because they are supposed to "sound better", not because they really do. Especially not on one of the easiest to drive earphones ever (I mean IE80).

Jan 16, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #5,890 of 7,699

There's something I noticed about the accudio app (wondering if you can relate).  The soundstage tends to be way smaller when you choose the ie80 config. It's almost like accudio  thinks that all iems must sound tiny. I'm currently using the hd558 setting. It has a similar soundstage as it would when you use the normal setting but just clearer  and crisp. I also have the hd558 and even though the hd558 sounds better than when in normal setting, the ie80 to me, sounds better than the hd558 with hd558 accudio setting. Also the hd558 wins in the soundstage department just by a little, which is is kind of weird..lol.   What settings are you currently using on accudio? 

Jan 16, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #5,891 of 7,699

There's something I noticed about the accudio app (wondering if you can relate).  The soundstage tends to be way smaller when you choose the ie80 config. It's almost like accudio  thinks that all iems must sound tiny. I'm currently using the hd558 setting. It has a similar soundstage as it would when you use the normal setting but just clearer  and crisp. I also have the hd558 and even though the hd558 sounds better than when in normal setting, the ie80 to me, sounds better than the hd558 with hd558 accudio setting. Also the hd558 wins in the soundstage department just by a little, which is is kind of weird..lol.   What settings are you currently using on accudio? 

a good deal of the headstage comes from the signature. and one very obvious part is the bass and sub bass. whatever the name and kind of signature, if you remove bass and subs you will feel the IE80's headdstage become smaller. with a really strong rumble your brain can't help but imagine a big room. there are certainly other changes in frequency that change the way you interpret the sound, but the IE80 is bass heavy so it's only natural for something supposed to correct the IE, to lower the bass and subs.
I don't know the app, but you can see the resulting FR of the IEM in the golden ear website, and they obviously aim for a well balanced signature close to neutral(with a little bass boost the little sub boost usually seen on IEMs). but remember that this is what they think is flat, your own ear might not agree.

Jan 16, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #5,892 of 7,699

a good deal of the headstage comes from the signature. and one very obvious part is the bass and sub bass. whatever the name and kind of signature, if you remove bass and subs you will feel the IE80's headdstage become smaller. with a really strong rumble your brain can't help but imagine a big room. there are certainly other changes in frequency that change the way you interpret the sound, but the IE80 is bass heavy so it's only natural for something supposed to correct the IE, to lower the bass and subs.
I don't know the app, but you can see the resulting FR of the IEM in the golden ear website, and they obviously aim for a well balanced signature close to neutral(with a little bass boost the little sub boost usually seen on IEMs). but remember that this is what they think is flat, your own ear might not agree.

I thought that might be the case. However, I set the bass and sub-bass to the to the lowest setting (-10) and even though there was a little decrease in the soundstage, it still sounded bigger than the ie80 settings. There was obviously more bass in the ie80 settings with the other decreased to literally nothing but it just sounded really tiny compared to the hd558 settings.  

Jan 16, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #5,893 of 7,699

I thought that might be the case. However, I set the bass and sub-bass to the to the lowest setting (-10) and even though there was a little decrease in the soundstage, it still sounded bigger than the ie80 settings. There was obviously more bass in the ie80 settings with the other decreased to literally nothing but it just sounded really tiny compared to the hd558 settings.  

Jan 16, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #5,894 of 7,699

Accudio's IE80 profile by itself is boring, too flat, and soundstage blows. Try out the settings below, and let me know if it helps.

Make sure your bass knobs are turned to the lowest setting on your IE80's.
After selecting IE80 from the dropdown as your reference point, then match your EQ to this from the simulator

SB: 7
B: 7
V:3
S:1
T:2

I use this mainly for Rock/Classic Rock/Alternative/Pop and some electronic. I feel like it widens the soundstage a bit, and gives depth, with pretty good instrument separation. Let me know what you think. IMO, I think Accudio benefits low impedance IEM's, but that's pure speculation.

I have two duplicates of this same preset with the only difference being decreased Sub-Bass, and Bass. But I always keep those two matched. So if you feel it's too strong, take it down a notch or two. But its important you keep the bass knobs on the lowest setting for this config to be optimal.

Jan 16, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #5,895 of 7,699

It's a lot better than the ie80 current settings. However, I still prefer the hd558 setting as it sounds richer and fuller to me. Also, the bass (7) is a bit too much for me.  Try the hd558 on hifi(you can also try the hd598 as the difference is subtle)  settings and let me know what you think. I wound recommend tuning the bass port to 3 on the ie80  since you fancy more bass. I also feel it sounds better at port 3 too.

I listen to mostly instrumentals (filmscores, enya, 2 steps from hellish sort of songs, anime instrumentals, symphonies) and then selective hiphop and other genres. I have a billboard 100 playlist I listen to sometimes so that probably falls under other genres. Try the hd558 setting  and compare the 2.

Accudio's IE80 profile by itself is boring, too flat, and soundstage blows. Try out the settings below, and let me know if it helps.

Make sure your bass knobs are turned to the lowest setting on your IE80's.
After selecting IE80 from the dropdown as your reference point, then match your EQ to this from the simulator

SB: 7
B: 7
V:3
S:1
T:2

I use this mainly for Rock/Classic Rock/Alternative/Pop and some electronic. I feel like it widens the soundstage a bit, and gives depth, with pretty good instrument separation. Let me know what you think. IMO, I think Accudio benefits low impedance IEM's, but that's pure speculation.

I have two duplicates of this same preset with the only difference being decreased Sub-Bass, and Bass. But I always keep those two matched. So if you feel it's too strong, take it down a notch or two. But its important you keep the bass knobs on the lowest setting for this config to be optimal.

It's a lot better than the ie80 current settings. However, I still prefer the hd558 setting as it sounds richer and fuller to me. Also, the bass and SB (7) is a bit too much for me.  Try the hd558 on hifi(you can also try the hd598 as the difference is subtle)  settings and let me know what you think. I wound recommend tuning the bass port to 3 on the ie80  since you fancy more bass. I also feel it sounds better at port 3 too. 

I listen to mostly instrumentals (filmscores, enya, 2 steps from hellish sort of songs, anime instrumentals, symphonies) and then selective hiphop and other genres. I have a billboard 100 playlist I listen to sometimes so that probably falls under other genres. Try the hd558 setting  and compare the 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back