Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Feb 13, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #5,941 of 7,699

You can not really compare IEMs to opened headphones. Two different worlds...

Good opened headphones give you great space, details, liveliness.
IEMs still give you good sound, but mids and highs feel more "closed". Bass is much more fun though... Punchy and full...

I love my HD600 with Schiit Vali. This is my main setup.
But on the go IE80 is also really good. Not as refined, detailed and airy as the HD600, but the bass is more fun. (I use custom tips, and the bass knob is turned to the lowest setting.)

I see. Actually I want something lush and euphoric sounding as the HD 600 in IEMs. I understand that IEMs can not be compared to headphones . I want to know about the mids tone. Is it similar to the HD 600?

Feb 13, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #5,942 of 7,699
I would say that the IE8(near identical to IE80 so I read) is nothing like the 600.
Maybe with EQ it comes toward it.
I am about to spend a several times the cost of my 600's, on a pair of CIEM 's.
If they are as nice as the 600 I shall be very pleased.
I'm not suggesting that you have to spend a fortune to equal the 600's with IEM's.
Just that it is a big ask.

Feb 13, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #5,943 of 7,699

I see. Actually I want something lush and euphoric sounding as the HD 600 in IEMs. I understand that IEMs can not be compared to headphones . I want to know about the mids tone. Is it similar to the HD 600?

It is very hard to compete with 600's mids... Especially on the level of IEMs.
I can enjoy IE80 though. It is more different to the 600s than similar, but still good fun. I am never disappointed, if I use them sometimes...

If you want something significantly better, I think you need to double the amount of money, you want to spend on IEMs... Or go for a custom made one...

Feb 13, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #5,944 of 7,699
Does anyone have some recommendation for an upgrade from IE80? I seek similar sound signature with possibly even bigger sub bass but not mid bass that bloats lower mid range and make it less clear and on some occasions with deep vocal and bass guitar even unbearable to listen to... Also cable over the ear is a must 

Feb 13, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #5,945 of 7,699
  Does anyone have some recommendation for an upgrade from IE80? I seek similar sound signature with possibly even bigger sub bass but not mid bass that bloats lower mid range and make it less clear and on some occasions with deep vocal and bass guitar even unbearable to listen to... Also cable over the ear is a must 

I would say, go for a custom made IEM.
Also try to turn the bass knob on the IE80 to the lowest setting.
For a long time I used it at around 40%...
But since I have my HD600s (one year) I turned the bass knob on my IE80 to the lowest possible setting. And I have to say, it is surprisingly beneficial...

Feb 14, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #5,947 of 7,699
Hey guys,

I just got the IE80 a few days ago and use the tape mod and the stock foam earbuds, no EQ.

I am not yet familiar with describing sound I hear, I only read a lot about it in reviews and forums like this.

I wonder if you could "confirm" my findings so I know it's not placebo :wink:

The tape mod is supposed to remove the infamous mid bass hump and clear up mids and highs. It's also supposed to take away the veil of the IE80 a little. Now that's theory.

Coming to praxis: When I compare the IE80 with and without tape mod, I find that voices sound more natural and bright, as if a curtain is taken away. Even when there is scarce or no instrumentation (Allan Taylor, Lynn Miles).

I also notice that the bass is less boomy and more precise (Psytrance).

With distorted guitars (Mastodon) the sound is less muddy and more crisp.

Does that correspond to your observations?

Feb 14, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #5,948 of 7,699
Hey guys,

I just got the IE80 a few days ago and use the tape mod and the stock foam earbuds, no EQ.

I am not yet familiar with describing sound I hear, I only read a lot about it in reviews and forums like this.

I wonder if you could "confirm" my findings so I know it's not placebo :wink:

The tape mod is supposed to remove the infamous mid bass hump and clear up mids and highs. It's also supposed to take away the veil of the IE80 a little. Now that's theory.

Coming to praxis: When I compare the IE80 with and without tape mod, I find that voices sound more natural and bright, as if a curtain is taken away. Even when there is scarce or no instrumentation (Allan Taylor, Lynn Miles).

I also notice that the bass is less boomy and more precise (Psytrance).

With distorted guitars (Mastodon) the sound is less muddy and more crisp.

Does that correspond to your observations?

If it works for you then that is great. Placebo or not. Personally I prefer to use EQ. YMMV.

Feb 14, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #5,949 of 7,699
Yes, it works fine indeed. Actually I wouldn't keep the IE80 if the bass mod wasn't possible - or I would start using EQ :wink:

With me it's the opposite: I prefer modding the phones over using EQ. I have a rather puristic approach there. 

Still, my question was if my observations "fit" to the theory behind the tape mod. It would be nice if you or someone could comment on that, since I am in the process of learning how to desribe the stuff I'm hearing :)

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #5,950 of 7,699
I'll never understand why people see EQ as anti purist. In the old analog days sure loads of components in the signal path can't be good. Today's digital age offers such sophisticated options it seems perverse to ignore them.

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #5,951 of 7,699
Just a question about this tape mod. It just involves covering the bass dials with tape or the entire faceplate? I've tried with covering the bass dials on one side and listening to music in mono, it definitely seems that the bass response is different (less emphasized at the very least) and with clearer mids. Might be placebo or my ears though.

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #5,952 of 7,699
I don't think the tape mod is down to placebo.
Covering the bass ports is obviously going to alter the sound. The 64k question is whether it is an improvement. Personally I think that it screws with the sound in a very unpredictable way.

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #5,953 of 7,699
It's only a feeling, I don't have any arguments :wink:

I just seems more right to me to keep the signal as is and change the equipment to my liking. Chosing the speakers or headphones that suit me best, modding them if necessary.

I am not an expert at all this, it just happens that the AKG K702 with bass mod is a superb headphone (more bass) and I don't like the IE80 without the tape mod (too much bass). No need for EQ after modding.

Actually when I had a car, I used digital time correction with a full active sound system and I am currently using the software Dirac Live for room correction with my stereo. But in comparison to an EQ that's full auto :wink: Unfortunately, my living room is cube shaped, therefore room correction is a necessity.

Sorry for the OT.

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #5,954 of 7,699
  Just a question about this tape mod. It just involves covering the bass dials with tape or the entire faceplate? I've tried with covering the bass dials on one side and listening to music in mono, it definitely seems that the bass response is different (less emphasized at the very least) and with clearer mids. Might be placebo or my ears though.

I just covered the dials, not the entire faceplate. I had a hard time hearing the difference when just covering one side. It was the same with the AKG when I tried out the bass mod there.

But the difference when modding both sides is very noticeable.

Of course it's a matter of personal taste. I probably have been getting used to the AKG 702 sound signature, so that I have a hard time with the IE80 without tape mod.

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #5,955 of 7,699
Did you listen in mono? Unless you have a channel unbalance the difference with the mod should then be discernable as unmodded the sounds should all appear to come from the centre of your head and not panned to either side (=effect of the mod)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back