Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #7,441 of 7,699
I'm thinking of the doing the same thing too, but I heard the dragonfly black is very warm sounding and will increase more bass. So I'm not sure how that will go with the already bassy ie80

You may need some neutral and bright DAC/DAP. Modi and Xduoo X3 is pretty good for IE80.

Ah yes, that might be a better option indeed. However, I need to be sure I want to keep them over the E70 first. The Dragonfly Black does seem like a good fit the those, because they sound very neutral and a bit more bass would be nice for the music I listen too.

So many options....:rolleyes:

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #7,442 of 7,699
I will give the ie80 a few more days, but I'm tempted to get the Westone um2 since they are the same $179 price. I had great experiences with the Westone um1

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #7,443 of 7,699
Ah yes, that might be a better option indeed. However, I need to be sure I want to keep them over the E70 first. The Dragonfly Black does seem like a good fit the those, because they sound very neutral and a bit more bass would be nice for the music I listen too.

So many options....:rolleyes:

Yes, but the dragonfly black and red can be powered directly through iPhone 6s lightning port and the micro USB. No need to charge them and are very compact. Not many can do that. If the sound does not improve after 100 hours. I might have to switch to the Westone UM2. I was very impressed with the um1 when I got it for $50

You should really try the creative in ear 3 if you don't mind the unreplaceable cable.

Jan 16, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #7,444 of 7,699
Yes, but the dragonfly black and red can be powered directly through iPhone 6s lightning port and the micro USB. No need to charge them and are very compact. Not many can do that. If the sound does not improve after 100 hours. I might have to switch to the Westone UM2. I was very impressed with the um1 when I got it for $50

You should really try the creative in ear 3 if you don't mind the unreplaceable cable.

I have never listened to a Westone before, so I have no idea what kind of sound signature they have. I kind seem to find a retailer in my country that has the In Ear 3 so if the cable breaks, warranty may be a pain.

I am currently at 50 hours of burn in and they do sound a bit better, but I've been burning the E70's at the same time and they have improved also!

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #7,445 of 7,699
I have never listened to a Westone before, so I have no idea what kind of sound signature they have. I kind seem to find a retailer in my country that has the In Ear 3 so if the cable breaks, warranty may be a pain.

I am currently at 50 hours of burn in and they do sound a bit better, but I've been burning the E70's at the same time and they have improved also!

They will get slightly better after more burn in but overall, they have a signature with a midbass hump and recessed mids, so there will be no drastic changes.

Anyway, you can use an EQ, they respond very well and for the bass you have also the "tape mod" option - that is, to place a piece of whatever kind of tape over the adjustment bass ports on each earphone. 
By this, the bass will be tamed and the midrange will be moved slightly up-front, with a little more clarity. Also, the isolation will improve.
I was skeptical at first, but it really worked.

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #7,446 of 7,699
Hoping someone has a suggestion on a cheap cable that won't hurt the sound.($10-$30) The stock cable is driving me absolutely batty. I've seen a couple like the Earmax cable recommended earlier, but that one is available UK only and the US versions of it look like the cable would be too stiff to use the stock storage case.

Anyone have some links? (amazon preferred, but Ali-ex is ok too).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #7,447 of 7,699
  Hoping someone has a suggestion on a cheap cable that won't hurt the sound.($10-$30) The stock cable is driving me absolutely batty. I've seen a couple like the Earmax cable recommended earlier, but that one is available UK only and the US versions of it look like the cable would be too stiff to use the stock storage case.

Anyone have some links? (amazon preferred, but Ali-ex is ok too).

Thanks in advance for your help!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Tingo-1-25M-16-Shares-5N-Silver-Plated-Earphone-Cables-Headphones-Wire-HIFI-Headset-Line/32687586427.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.dvgQfZ

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #7,448 of 7,699
They will get slightly better after more burn in but overall, they have a signature with a midbass hump and recessed mids, so there will be no drastic changes.

Anyway, you can use an EQ, they respond very well and for the bass you have also the "tape mod" option - that is, to place a piece of whatever kind of tape over the adjustment bass ports on each earphone. 
By this, the bass will be tamed and the midrange will be moved slightly up-front, with a little more clarity. Also, the isolation will improve.
I was skeptical at first, but it really worked.

I am at around 70ish hours of burn in using a mixture of pink, white noise and frequency sweep. A huge improvement when it was new, but that mid bass hump is still there. Everything else sounds great and natural with a wide sound stage. I just wish the mid bass is about -2db and the ie80 would be almost perfect for me. Custom EQ is impossible on an iphone and the stock flat sounds the best to me. I like the isolation level on the ie80, it can block out unwanted noises, but still have the ability to be aware of my surrounding. I don't know why sennheiser stopped making the IE7, or make a new IE70 with removable cable. From my experience, the IE7's sound stage is just as good as the IE8, but the bass is toned down and more forward mids. 

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #7,449 of 7,699
expecting some burn in gimmick to tune your IEM is a sad waste of time. even if something was clearly changing, how do we control how it's changing? with passing days the only thing that's massively changing is you getting used to listening to an IEM.
the IE80 isn't flat, it's very far from it, so you enjoy the signature or you don't. there is no shame and no need to love it, it's all about your own taste in the matter.
I'd suggest to try the tape mod because it goes in the direction of what you're asking for and it's not exactly hard to do ^_^.  or get some app with an EQ, or get rid of the IE80 if it's not what you enjoy. but waiting just in case burn in will solve all our problems is not the answer. 

Jan 17, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #7,450 of 7,699
  expecting some burn in gimmick to tune your IEM is a sad waste of time. even if something was clearly changing, how do we control how it's changing? with passing days the only thing that's massively changing is you getting used to listening to an IEM.
the IE80 isn't flat, it's very far from it, so you enjoy the signature or you don't. there is no shame and no need to love it, it's all about your own taste in the matter.
I'd suggest to try the tape mod because it goes in the direction of what you're asking for and it's not exactly hard to do ^_^.  or get some app with an EQ, or get rid of the IE80 if it's not what you enjoy. but waiting just in case burn in will solve all our problems is not the answer. 

While I will not be jumping into the "is burn a myth" discussion, I can say that I am returning my IE80's. While I do feel like I can listen to them for longer periods of time without getting fatigued, their sound signature just isn't 100% my thing. My ATH-70's, which I got for only 70$ more, have a better, more refined bass and crystal clear mids and highs to my ears. While they are not comfortable for me right now, they do isolate better, so I am hoping a set of InAirs or Spiral Dot tips will help with comfort, otherwise these have to go too.

Jan 17, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #7,451 of 7,699
While I will not be jumping into the "is burn a myth" discussion, I can say that I am returning my IE80's. While I do feel like I can listen to them for longer periods of them without getting fatigued, their sound signature just isn't 100% my thing. My ATH-70's, which I got for only 70$ more, has a better, more refined bass and crystal clear mids and highs to my ears. While they are not comfortable for me right now, they do isolate better, so I am hoping a set of InAirs or Spiral Dot tips will help with comfort, otherwise these have to go too.

If those spiral dot work out. I highly recommend you look into westone. They are just as comfortable as the ie80

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #7,453 of 7,699
I am looking into Westone but so far I can't find any website or retailer here in the Netherlands that sells them.

Here you go: https://www.variphone-webshop.com/en/category/28/in-ears/universal/

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #7,454 of 7,699
I am confused whether I should go for the IE80s. I have the HD 650 and the DT 150. I like lush liquid sound with no grain. I don't mind the bass being neutral as long as the mids are lush and smooth. Are these that? some people say they don't have enough lower mids to sound lush and it is overpowered by the bass. how true is that?

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #7,455 of 7,699
I am confused whether I should go for the IE80s. I have the HD 650 and the DT 150. I like lush liquid sound with no grain. I don't mind the bass being neutral as long as the mids are lush and smooth. Are these that? some people say they don't have enough lower mids to sound lush and it is overpowered by the bass. how true is that?

The ie80 does have that smooth and easy sennheiser sound. But the mid will not be the focus and have a big mid bass. Sound stage is incredible though. The mid bass does bleed into the mids/vocal in some songs imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back