Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Feb 2, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #7,472 of 7,699
Anyone know if there is a lightning cable for the IE80?

Not needed now, but would be nice when upgrading to new iOS device. Also, some new Android phones will require USB-C.

Probably not since IE80 uses proprietary connectors. However, I've taken standard MMCX and 2-Pin cables and just buy the Sennheiser connectors off eBay and just DIY. The connectors themselves are less than $10. I plan to do this to the new Shure lightning cable when it comes out.

Feb 11, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #7,474 of 7,699
I'm sure this has been already covered but can someone please tell me the bass knob settings for min/max?

is this correct:  left earbud- white dot closet to cable is minimum
                        right earbud- white dot closest to cable is maximum

Feb 11, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #7,475 of 7,699
  I'm sure this has been already covered but can someone please tell me the bass knob settings for min/max?

is this correct:  left earbud- white dot closet to cable is minimum
                        right earbud- white dot closest to cable is maximum

Correct. Turn the screw clockwise to get more bass and counter-clockwise to lessen the bass.

Feb 11, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #7,476 of 7,699

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Tingo-1-25M-16-Shares-5N-Silver-Plated-Earphone-Cables-Headphones-Wire-HIFI-Headset-Line/32687586427.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.dvgQfZ

I got this in the mail the other day and within 5 minutes both of the plugs connecting to the headphone had cracked. They looked like the plastic had a solvent splashed on them. Have you ever touched plastic after putting on mosquito repellent? That's what they looked like. 

Definitely NOT recommended.

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #7,477 of 7,699
I felt today that i have to write down at least my opinion of these iems after 4 years of use since i already miss them ( cable got teared ).

Coming from someone having layla II, kse1500, and se846, previously owned layla I, this iems is my most favourite, best purchase in terms of price and quality, and the serivce provided by sennheiser.

1- Most favourite : ease of use, light, no fatigue, and more than decent sound quality and signatur3.

2- Price & quality: it is consider cheap and accessible by too many yet enjoyable and wouldnt let you down. Not BA drivers which is something actually is good if u ever had tried ba drivers based iems. Isolation is not impossible however it is difficult to obtain. Detachable cable which is something we sbould all appreciate otherwise i wouldnt have kept it till i get a new cable.

3- Service: they are very responsive, first ie80 i owned had driver failure and got replacement within 1 week. You can check if it fraud or not using the code provided for newly purchased products from Sennhieser.

Fast comparison in terms of quality with Layla:

With this price 3k USD the cable got teard essily less than one year. Ie80 4 years of Crazy use and abuse and recently got teard.

Driver failure from Layla waited 3 weeks or so, with this price you gotta expect more carefully engineered iems.

Sound of course layla beats it and isolation is much more easier, but ie80 will be loyal to you forever.

Thanks

Feb 15, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #7,478 of 7,699
I really want to buy the ie80 but am uncertain because I already own the mee audio p1 and feel like the senns may be inferior.although I haven't heard them yet and having read through alot of info on this site I still can't decide.i'm looking to upgrade from the p1's.

Feb 15, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #7,479 of 7,699
I really want to buy the ie80 but am uncertain because I already own the mee audio p1 and feel like the senns may be inferior.although I haven't heard them yet and having read through alot of info on this site I still can't decide.i'm looking to upgrade from the p1's.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/mee-audio-pinnacle-p1-high-fidelity-audiophile-in-ear-headphones-with-detachable-cables/reviews/16389
But it seems 80 is vrey picky on source. It's great on Xduo X3 but bad not on DAC-X6, Explorer.

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #7,480 of 7,699
Feb 18, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #7,484 of 7,699
I must confess, I've never really given the IE80s a good audition for all these years I've been in this hobby. A couple of days back, I actually took the time to try them out (at full bass settings), and boy, was I blown away. The dynamic driver does wonders for bass heavy tracks - the texture, impact and rumble of its lows are ever-present, beating the best BA-based IEMs by a long mile. Even my champ CIEM for dance music, the AAW W500 AHMorph, probably stands a rung below the IE80 in regard to the overall presentation of its lows.

Needless to say, I'm now a very happy owner of an IE80. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back