Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #7,411 of 7,699
  Looks like Amazon is selling them at $179 now too! My first impression with it, out of the box sounds nothing special, however even just after 3 hours of burn in, the sound stage was cranked up and the separation becomes apparent. Still need a few days to open it up.

Sound stage is pretty massive on the ie80's!

I originally bought mine on amazon for 249+ tax but returned them because amazon wouldn't price match down to $179 after 7 days of owning the item(they said the only option was to return it to get the difference in price, which seems kind of stupid to me.) . That was right before christmas and I still have the order pending. So they have yet to ship anything for over two weeks.  Have my fingers crossed. I picked up the FLC8s instead with the refund and Im not sure if I should get the ie80's again.

I heard the ie800's at the sennheiser store in NYC and those things were so impressive, I thought ie80 would scale. The ie800's definitely sounded more fun to me than the ie80's. I was blown away by the ie800's and still want them.

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #7,412 of 7,699
Looks like Amazon is selling them at $179 now too! My first impression with it, out of the box sounds nothing special, however even just after 3 hours of burn in, the sound stage was cranked up and the separation becomes apparent. Still need a few days to open it up.

Leave them playing for nights so drivers continue to open up.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #7,413 of 7,699

No they do not.

The IE80's are extremely picky with the tips. I bought some comply tips from amazon. The hear more ones that were supposed to be fit but as soon as I tried it they had a terrible veiled sound to it. You could try it if you want but I took them off within 30 seconds and went to go get a refund for them.

had to buy from me, you have too much trust this Amazon.

Jan 12, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #7,414 of 7,699
I am currently trying a pair of Audio Technica ATH-E70 (I can return them within the next 28 days :D) coming from the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless as I am growing a bit tired of lugging around a full size pair of cans everywhere.

I am also considering trying the IE 80 but since I am not close to being an audiophile, I am not sure if they are the right fit for me. The E70 sounded very flat and uninspiring to me at first but they sound a lot better to my ears after a few hours. Will the IE 80 come closer to what I am accustomed with the Momentum Wireless? If possible, since this will be an investment for a few years, I'd like to make a jump in sound quality. The problem is that I listen unamped, using Spotify straight out of my Google Pixel. Mainly R&B, Hip-Hop, Pop and Reggae.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #7,415 of 7,699
I think you will appreciate the ie80's. The clarity is definatly much better than the momentum wireless. Clarity and soundstage was the ultimate strong points on the ie80's

I am not a hip hop person and I didn't listen to it while I had them. If you can find the ie80 for 180ish I would jump for it. I ultimately returned mine and decided to go get the ie800 personally.

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #7,416 of 7,699
I think you will appreciate the ie80's. The clarity is definatly much better than the momentum wireless. Clarity and soundstage was the ultimate strong points on the ie80's

I am not a hip hop person and I didn't listen to it while I had them. If you can find the ie80 for 180ish I would jump for it. I ultimately returned mine and decided to go get the ie800 personally.

Thank you for your reply! I can probably pick them up used but as new for around 125, which seems like a great deal I guess.

I am also very interested in the IE800 but it's price is a bit steep for me. Also, I doubt I will get the most out of them with my setup.

Is the IE80 in any way comparably to my current Audio Technica set with it's three BA drivers? And will it work for my musical genres?

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #7,417 of 7,699

is this amazon US sir? tried looking for it and they dont seem to have it... any other alternative where i can buy them for a good price? thanks in advance :)

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #7,418 of 7,699
is this amazon US sir? tried looking for it and they dont seem to have it... any other alternative where i can buy them for a good price? thanks in advance :)

Yes. US price. Sonicelectronix still have it for $179, but I'm not sure if they do international shipping

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #7,419 of 7,699
After a few days of burn in and uses. The ie80's biggest strengths are soundstage, relaxing sound, great for bass oriented listeners and works well for all genre of music.

The clarity is great for a dynamic driver, but it's not as articulate as BA and the mid is slightly recessed by the bass. The stock cable gets extremely stiff in the cold.

The ie80 really needs at least 100 hours of burnin and provide very little isolation. They are like a pair "open back" earphones. Great for awareness, but not so much for blocking out airplane engine noise

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #7,420 of 7,699
After a few days of burn in and uses. The ie80's biggest strengths are soundstage, relaxing sound, great for bass oriented listeners and works well for all genre of music.

The clarity is great for a dynamic driver, but it's not as articulate as BA and the mid is slightly recessed by the bass. The stock cable gets extremely stiff in the cold.

The ie80 really needs at least 100 hours of burnin and provide very little isolation. They are like a pair "open back" earphones. Great for awareness, but not so much for blocking out airplane engine noise

I have just ordered a pair. They will arrive tommorow and I have two weeks to return them if they don't do it for me. I really hope they do though!

My ATH-E70's are great but extremely flat, so to say. They are made for monitoring so I guess it's no surprise. I just need something a little more fun and musical. My ears also hurt after wearing them for an extended period of time. The IE 80 come with a lot of different tips so hopefully I can find a better fit in there. I don't want to purchase other tips until I am sure which I am gonna keep.

Since I will almost always use them outdoors, is there a good replacement cable you can recommend?

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #7,421 of 7,699
I'm not sure I'd describe these as fun. Yes they have strong bass, but are quite relaxed and layed back as Butter123 says.
I use Comply's and get quite good isolation, but not the best ever as these aren't the deepest fitting iems. I've had to cover my bass ports when using Complys.
Not up to 100 hours on mine yet, but agree on the soundstage.

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #7,422 of 7,699
I have just ordered a pair. They will arrive tommorow and I have two weeks to return them if they don't do it for me. I really hope they do though!

My ATH-E70's are great but extremely flat, so to say. They are made for monitoring so I guess it's no surprise. I just need something a little more fun and musical. My ears also hurt after wearing them for an extended period of time. The IE 80 come with a lot of different tips so hopefully I can find a better fit in there. I don't want to purchase other tips until I am sure which I am gonna keep.

Since I will almost always use them outdoors, is there a good replacement cable you can recommend?

Just remember to burn them in for at least a few hours. The ie80 sounds slightly better than a cx300 right out of the box haha. The ie80 is probably the most comfortable earphones since it doesn't create any in ear pressure at the sacrifice of noise isolation.

As far as replacement cable, there tons of options, some will improve, some will decrease sq. I'm personally looking for one with a inline mic and control built in like the ie8i cable

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #7,423 of 7,699
Just remember to burn them in for at least a few hours. The ie80 sounds slightly better than a cx300 right out of the box haha. The ie80 is probably the most comfortable earphones since it doesn't create any in ear pressure at the sacrifice of noise isolation.

As far as replacement cable, there tons of options, some will improve, some will decrease sq. I'm personally looking for one with a inline mic and control built in like the ie8i cable

Will do! Do you recommend burning them in with white noise or something alike or just using my own music collection?

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #7,424 of 7,699
Both should work. I usually do a combination of pink noise and music. And a few loops of frequency sweep

Jan 13, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #7,425 of 7,699
I'm not sure I'd describe these as fun. Yes they have strong bass, but are quite relaxed and layed back as Butter123 says.
I use Comply's and get quite good isolation, but not the best ever as these aren't the deepest fitting iems. I've had to cover my bass ports when using Complys.
Not up to 100 hours on mine yet, but agree on the soundstage.

I might try the comply, but I had bad experience with them way back when I used them with the sennheiser ie7. Everything sounded muffled and they don't last more than 2 months. I heard the sony hybrid tips works well, but might decrease the sound stage a bit due to the narrow opening.

I think the -26db isolation advertised by sennheiser is misleading. I find the stock medium single silicon works the best in terms of sq and comfort for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back