Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
May 28, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #6,331 of 7,699
Sennheiser had huge discounts across a lot of their headphones in the recent few months which was astonishing for many.

But it's a family run business, not a public one, so we might never know the reason. Maybe they had some large expense coming up and needed to increase the cash flow - maybe they replace models with successors, maybe they want to produce a large batch of things and need a pile of cash for the parts or pre- payments. 

We can create theories all day long, we might never know why it really happened :wink:

Cheers,
K

May 28, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #6,332 of 7,699
Sennheiser had huge discounts across a lot of their headphones in the recent few months which was astonishing for many.

But it's a family run business, not a public one, so we might never know the reason. Maybe they had some large expense coming up and needed to increase the cash flow - maybe they replace models with successors, maybe they want to produce a large batch of things and need a pile of cash for the parts or pre- payments. 

We can create theories all day long, we might never know why it really happened :wink:

Cheers,
K
From a Sennheiser insider I know that if Amazon drops the price so much that they kill the competition, it is possible by buying complete production stocks, so it is possible that lower quantities reflect higher prices.

May 28, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #6,333 of 7,699
From a Sennheiser insider I know that if Amazon drops the price so much that they kill the competition, it is possible by buying complete production stocks, so it is possible that lower quantities reflect higher prices.

Interesting, thanks!!

May 28, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #6,335 of 7,699
  Well they are quite old pair of earphones now, and demand isn't as high as it was when they came out, which is normal and it's for everything there is, not just earphones. So I guess they maybe won't even be making them anymore who knows... but I also doubt you'll get 2 times more expensive IE800 as replacement, they'd pay you back full amount of money sonner than they'd give you 2 times as expensive new flagship. 

Sure I don't expect them to give me a pair of IE800 :)

Just saying stocks indeed seem to be low and wondering what could explain it.

May 28, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #6,336 of 7,699
The IE80 is a classic and after 4 year still populair, just as the HD 600-650. sennheiser won't be so stupid to get rid of winners. In 2011 the price in Europe was 299 Euro, which was than expensive, since the custom in ear invasion they now look cheap, all a matter of perception:blush:

May 28, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #6,337 of 7,699
  I wonder what is a right place to sell a second hand ie8 for?

I have my pair for quite a while, but I stopped using them after getting Ie800.

You can try selling it on the trade forums here on Head-Fi. I've seen IE8s go for USD$150-200.

IMO, unless you really need the money to buy something new, I would just keep them as a backup pair.

May 28, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #6,338 of 7,699

You can try selling it on the trade forums here on Head-Fi. I've seen IE8s go for USD$150-200.

IMO, unless you really need the money to buy something new, I would just keep them as a backup pair.

If you follow the link in my sig, I really am in a need for more money. 200$ would be very good to have. It would bring me closer to my objectives 
biggrin.gif

Sadly, I would be in a hotspot to sell to anything but Romania, as in here, postage is not very trustworthy...

May 29, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #6,341 of 7,699
I've collected a few nice iems over the years. What originally got me into the game was the ie8. I used it for a good two years, just when it was breaking in, then sold it for an ie80. Been using that for the past two years. Picked up an ie8i last week. I have to say....I much prefer the ie8/8i sound. Much more raw and alive to me. Maybe 20-30% difference in sound. Plus the ie8 looks cooler...uniform black metallic body.

May 29, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #6,342 of 7,699
I've collected a few nice iems over the years. What originally got me into the game was the ie8. I used it for a good two years, just when it was breaking in, then sold it for an ie80. Been using that for the past two years. Picked up an ie8i last week. I have to say....I much prefer the ie8/8i sound. Much more raw and alive to me. Maybe 20-30% difference in sound. Plus the ie8 looks cooler...uniform black metallic body.

metallic body?

my ie8 is full plastic body and some of the paint came off after three years of usage. It is in it's 5 year of usage.

May 29, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #6,343 of 7,699

In my opinion IE80 looks cooler, as it has real metal surface. :)
I never owned the IE8, but everyone says there is almost no difference between the two. Or if they say there is, it might be 10% for the IE80.
You are the first one saying prefers IE8 over IE80. (The i in IE8i means nothing more than an inline remote...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back