Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
May 24, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #6,301 of 7,699
I just said I find this to be VERY untrue. I have tried it and no new sounds discovered, no benefits at all as there should be none in theory. "it is another world completely" "becomes another iem totally" "discovering new sounds you didn't know existed" nope, none of that happened in my case, so I just wanted to give friendly advice to people reading this thread not to spend money on extra amp for this super sensitive easy to drive earphones, but then again, we all have different opinions and experiences, obviously.

Now if original source amp is a complete disaster probably external would help as castleofargh said even on iems such as IE80, but for my X3 (and X5 that I've tried) there was no benefits on IE80, just extra device to carry around and extra money spent for a device that you not only don't need but that will make your pocket heavier, even tho you will look "more audiophile" when you take it out in public. 

This is just my opinion based on my experience, other people either want to hear or really hear HUGE differences, but at least try it out before buying! :)

This echoes my experience.
Love the "looking more audiophile". :)

May 24, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #6,302 of 7,699
IE80 really does not need amping. They sound great from anything.
But if someone has the extra 50% of the price of IE80, it can sound about 20% better...
I would not advise to buy external amp for IE80, rather spend the money for a full headphone, (opened back preferred).
But if you do have an amp, it will improve your IE80 as well... Although it should not be a primary aim to do so...

May 24, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #6,303 of 7,699
  I just said I find this to be VERY untrue. I have tried it and no new sounds discovered, no benefits at all as there should be none in theory. "it is another world completely" "becomes another iem totally" "discovering new sounds you didn't know existed" nope, none of that happened in my case, so I just wanted to give friendly advice to people reading this thread not to spend money on extra amp for this super sensitive easy to drive earphones, but then again, we all have different opinions and experiences, obviously.

Now if original source amp is a complete disaster probably external would help as castleofargh said even on iems such as IE80, but for my X3 (and X5 that I've tried) there was no benefits on IE80, just extra device to carry around and extra money spent for a device that you not only don't need but that will make your pocket heavier, even tho you will look "more audiophile" when you take it out in public. 

This is just my opinion based on my experience, other people either want to hear or really hear HUGE differences, but at least try it out before buying! :)

can I ask what amps have you tried? With high end portable amps, the differences are there and might not be necessarily night and day, but that little bit of improvement might be worth it for some people. I only ask because not all portable amps are created equal. If one were to use budget or more entry level amps then definitely there won't be much difference, if any. 

For example, if you get a custom balanced cable for it and run it off one of those portable balanced amp/dacs from ray samuels I bet you might see a more palpable difference. This is just one example. What I am trying to say is that, you're right in your conclusion. Better to listen to it before buying and making a decision. But to outright dismiss doesn't seem any better imo. YMMv etc etc

May 24, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #6,304 of 7,699

Quote:
  IE80 really does not need amping. They sound great from anything.
But if someone has the extra 50% of the price of IE80, it can sound about 20% better...
I would not advise to buy external amp for IE80, rather spend the money for a full headphone, (opened back preferred).
But if you do have an amp, it will improve your IE80 as well... Although it should not be a primary aim to do so...

Fully agree.  Source is much more important than an amplifier. I do think IE80 requires good source to fully demonstrate its potential. Moreover, for such a low impedence and sensitive phones, it's hard to match an amplifier.

May 24, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #6,305 of 7,699

Fully agree.  Source is much more important than an amplifier. I do think IE80 requires good source to fully demonstrate its potential. Moreover, for such a low impedence and sensitive phones, it's hard to match an amplifier.

Yup that is more key to getting a good sound. For example a properly encoded 320 Kbps music file sounds better to me than the shoddily ones you would find on random download sites, so 320 as a minimum me thinks. 

Your music experience will be only as good as the weakest link in your chain. 

May 24, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #6,307 of 7,699

can I ask what amps have you tried? With high end portable amps, the differences are there and might not be necessarily night and day, but that little bit of improvement might be worth it for some people. I only ask because not all portable amps are created equal. If one were to use budget or more entry level amps then definitely there won't be much difference, if any. 

For example, if you get a custom balanced cable for it and run it off one of those portable balanced amp/dacs from ray samuels I bet you might see a more palpable difference. This is just one example. What I am trying to say is that, you're right in your conclusion. Better to listen to it before buying and making a decision. But to outright dismiss doesn't seem any better imo. YMMv etc etc

I've tried all FiiO amps (all their products except X3 II) at local store here in Serbia 4audio and was testing most of them really good (they also sell hi fi speakers and studio equipment so I tested them in pretty isolated room they use for testing equipment) so I could concentrate very good on what I can hear and I have pretty decent hearing since I'm relatively young even tho I'm living in a city.
I have tried few more like Auralic Taurus tho I haven't heard that with IE80 to be honest.
Still the talk here was portable amps (E12 in specific) with IE80 and I have shared my experience with it, and again - no benefits (not from X3 or X5 I've tried it with). 

And of course amp can make HUGE difference for hard to drive headphones, for those less sensitive etc. It's what it's for, but to use it for 16 ohm 125 db spl iem is completely pointless unless you source is REALLY crap, but than again, you'd need a dac too in that case. 

Guy to whom I replied said he discovers new sounds and that it transformed his IE80, that he is surrounded by music and all that... well I find that to be extremely untrue. 0 new sounds discovered, no new surroundings and such things in my case, and those that I've tested are genuine 100% (I bought from them FiiO X3 and checked authentication code and they are official distributors for A LOT of audio gear so I'm pretty sure FiiO amps I've tried were genuine too). 

May 24, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #6,308 of 7,699
  I've tried all FiiO amps (all their products except X3 II) at local store here in Serbia 4audio and was testing most of them really good (they also sell hi fi speakers and studio equipment so I tested them in pretty isolated room they use for testing equipment) so I could concentrate very good on what I can hear and I have pretty decent hearing since I'm relatively young even tho I'm living in a city.
I have tried few more like Auralic Taurus tho I haven't heard that with IE80 to be honest.
Still the talk here was portable amps (E12 in specific) with IE80 and I have shared my experience with it, and again - no benefits (not from X3 or X5 I've tried it with). 

And of course amp can make HUGE difference for hard to drive headphones, for those less sensitive etc. It's what it's for, but to use it for 16 ohm 125 db spl iem is completely pointless unless you source is REALLY crap, but than again, you'd need a dac too in that case. 

Guy to whom I replied said he discovers new sounds and that it transformed his IE80, that he is surrounded by music and all that... well I find that to be extremely untrue. 0 new sounds discovered, no new surroundings and such things in my case, and those that I've tested are genuine 100% (I bought from them FiiO X3 and checked authentication code and they are official distributors for A LOT of audio gear so I'm pretty sure FiiO amps I've tried were genuine too). 

Wasn't discounting your points at all. You had some solid points in there and to my ears the differences are never that drastic. The added portable bulk and price doesn't seem to be worth the somewhat incremental increase in sound quality, which may or may not be expectation bias or placebo. But yes for my hard to drive gear amp makes a very big difference. 

I guess everyone hears a bit differently as well but who knows its all in our heads anyway :wink:

May 24, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #6,310 of 7,699

Nailed.

May 24, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #6,312 of 7,699
  I still would advice that having a good DAP is great for improoving ie80's sound. Compared listening between my smartphone, and fiio x5, is quite a margin of difference.

For that I agree depending on smartphone! :) 
My HTC One X for example had REALLY a lot of noise and there were quite a bit distortions on very loud volumes which would make X5 a huge improvement in every way but my friend's old iPhone 5s, and now his new iPhone 6 I've tested with him actually sounded very good, no noise (hiss? or whatever it's called) at all and no distortions when I crank the volume up like with One X, and it was sufficient to drive IE80, tho again, differences are audible in my opinion too, even tho they may not be so big (again, depending on smartphone and player someone uses).

But as krismusic said in one of posts few days ago IE8/80 benefit from cutting db or two ~100 Hz because of that mid bass 'veil' so to be honest my X3 (that has 5 band EQ with 62 Hz and then 250 Hz setting) doesn't do them justice in that department, still X5 has 125 Hz setting so I'm sure it can be great there! 

May 24, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #6,313 of 7,699
  For that I agree depending on smartphone! :) 
My HTC One X for example had REALLY a lot of noise and there were quite a bit distortions on very loud volumes which would make X5 a huge improvement in every way but my friend's old iPhone 5s, and now his new iPhone 6 I've tested with him actually sounded very good, no noise (hiss? or whatever it's called) at all and no distortions when I crank the volume up like with One X, and it was sufficient to drive IE80, tho again, differences are audible in my opinion too, even tho they may not be so big (again, depending on smartphone and player someone uses).

But as krismusic said in one of posts few days ago IE8/80 benefit from cutting db or two ~100 Hz because of that mid bass 'veil' so to be honest my X3 (that has 5 band EQ with 62 Hz and then 250 Hz setting) doesn't do them justice in that department, still X5 has 125 Hz setting so I'm sure it can be great there! 

My smartphone is an orange Rono, ZTE blade vec 4g full name... I am unable to use it even for watching anime music videos, i really do not like the SQ. No matter what app i used or what i did, it sounded bad with ie8, no hiss, but very veiled...

With my x5 i put the 125hz down by -4DB and pump the treble up by +4DB. pure bliss!

May 25, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #6,315 of 7,699
  My smartphone is an orange Rono, ZTE blade vec 4g full name... I am unable to use it even for watching anime music videos, i really do not like the SQ. No matter what app i used or what i did, it sounded bad with ie8, no hiss, but very veiled...

With my x5 i put the 125hz down by -4DB and pump the treble up by +4DB. pure bliss!

Since my father had ZTE Blade G and I assume it has very similar if not the same components when it comes to audio I totally understand you when you say X5 is enlightening, it really does sound better than that smartphone!
But if you come across someone with iPhone 5s or 6 (I'm sure 6+ is the same thing but haven't heard it) take a listen, you'll be surprised how good it sounds. Sound was slightly different from X5 but I couldn't say if it was for better or for worse to be honest...
The X5 is of course quite a lot better with harder to drive headphones thanks to the amp section (and overall usage as an audio device: SD card slots, USB dac...), but for IE80 iPhone was actually really good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back