Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
May 16, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #6,274 of 7,699
Honesty is a great thing in a relationship. My wife never asks "how much?"
smily_headphones1.gif

I would rather tell her and buy her one, if i were you!

May 16, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #6,275 of 7,699
  Worst thing you can do. Lack of knowledge leads to people spending money on such things while it cannot make any audible difference (usually even in theory, let alone in real life situation). All that can change things is resistance when it comes to cable and check silver versus copper, quite few articles about that. Literally it is not a matter of opinion, it cannot sound better so save up money and get better headphones instead my warm advice.

Noted. I guess I'll take a step back and do some research on the subject before I decide. 

May 16, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #6,277 of 7,699

I would rather tell her and buy her one, if i were you!

It's all good. She knows I work damn hard and trusts me to make my own decisions. I cannot believe how not interested in audio she is!

Noted. I guess I'll take a step back and do some research on the subject before I decide. 

Have a search in Sound Science. :wink:

May 16, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #6,278 of 7,699
It's all good. She knows I work damn hard and trusts me to make my own decisions. I cannot believe how not interested in audio she is!
Have a search in Sound Science.
wink.gif

Why? Most people love music. My wife got convinced about audio when she first tested LCD-2, the problem is how to convince her to not buy LCD-2 because it is very expensive
biggrin.gif

I was thinking about wheter i can get an upgrade from ie8 without actually getting ie800, but i think that ie800 is going to be the final answer.

May 16, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #6,281 of 7,699

Without the tape modification, the ie80 is fatally flawed in my view. The mid-bass hump does it in, even on the best or smallest port setting. However, the tape modification saves the day and makes the i80 a decent contender. It much reduces the mid bass hump by converting the bass driver enclosure from a ported reflex design to an acoustic suspension design. Warranty and longevity effects are unknown. but I do wonder why the designers did not design the port adjustment to allow for total closure so a tape mod would not be necessary. Maybe that is why Sennheiser abandoned this design when it went to the IE800. Ambient noise is reduced as well, that is, isolation is improved by the tape mod. The reflex's dominant resonance is compromised and that is a change for the better.The aural effects are to strongly clear up and not mask the lower and sub-bass, increase bass control, augment and clarify the lower and middle midrange, and make the top end more open and augmented. It protects the drivers more from humidity rises as well. The midrange is moved slightly forward, the soundstage is slightly enlarged and venue ambiance is much more noticeable. The former mid-bass hump was bleeding into the midrange and masking many details there as well as in the sub bass. It is a more intimate, articulate and still a warm sound with the mod. I get a good seal with the large silicon single flange ear buds and proper insertion with ear manipulation and find the ie80 quite comfortable to use. I do not think it is quite up to the Westone W4 iterations, however. It is too colored and insufficiently neutral, but still enjoyable to listen to, in my view. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back