Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
May 14, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #6,242 of 7,699
  Where to go from the ie80s? As much as I love them with foam and their sound signature it's just not enough for when I'm traveling on the London Underground, too much sound leakage.

If you are happy with the IE80 and the noise isolation is the only negative for you, perhaps consider getting custom silicon tips for them :) It will help you get the most out of it and it will be like a semi CIEM in the process and you will get a perfect fit every time and much better isolation. Atleast thats the case with my custom tips :)  

May 14, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #6,245 of 7,699
  I consider the isolation good, but nothing can isolate metros, or riding the bus. the vibration is sent through the entire body, it will still get into music.

I heared something about ETY iems as being very good at isolation, but they sound nothing like ie80...

Hmm are you saying this from experience? Have you tried custom tips out and about, bus or trains? I am only asking because for me it was pretty damn good, in terms of isolation. a little too good I might add, I was always afraid I might miss when they call out my stop! I would avoid making generalizations specially for products or things you haven't tried yet :)

Not meant as a slight, just a friendly advice. 

May 14, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #6,246 of 7,699

Hmm are you saying this from experience? Have you tried custom tips out and about, bus or trains? I am only asking because for me it was pretty damn good, in terms of isolation. a little too good I might add, I was always afraid I might miss when they call out my stop! I would avoid making generalizations specially for products or things you haven't tried yet :)

Not meant as a slight, just a friendly advice. 

not a problem!
biggrin.gif

I had not tried custom tips, but i tried lots of things in between, even more in bus rides! I was unable to stop the noise, i guess that romanian busses, which are very old are more prone to this than in other countries.

For Metro, i had this problem, i always got a sound when going with it.

But i listen at low volumes lately, so i guess that nothing could isolate at such low volumes, I am going to try customs sometime in the future, but at the moment i am unable to.

May 14, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #6,247 of 7,699

If you are happy with the IE80 and the noise isolation is the only negative for you, perhaps consider getting custom silicon tips for them :) It will help you get the most out of it and it will be like a semi CIEM in the process and you will get a perfect fit every time and much better isolation. Atleast thats the case with my custom tips :)  

I tried my IE80 with custom silicon tips on London underground. Music volume on 50% was more than enough not to hear the underground anymore... I also agree with RedJohn456 about the benefits of having custom tips with the IE80.

May 14, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #6,249 of 7,699

Where does one get silicone tips from??

Mine was made by ACS custom in the uk.
You need to go to an audiologist, who takes impressions of your ears, sends the mould to ACS, and you get your tips by post in about 3 weeks...

May 14, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #6,251 of 7,699
  Great thanks, how much did it cost? Also will these eartips only work for IE80, what if i choose a different brand of headphones?

I think they go for USD$100-150, not including impressions (which could be another USD$50 or so). Definitely not cheap.  

Depending on the nozzle size of your other IEMs, you may be able to use them. The IE80 for instance, has a 5.5mm nozzle diameter, so other IEMs with 5.5mm nozzles should fit nicely. If your IEMs have smaller nozzles, you can use tape or heat shrink to increase the diameter.

May 14, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #6,252 of 7,699
  Great thanks, how much did it cost? Also will these eartips only work for IE80, what if i choose a different brand of headphones?

There are several ways they are made. Some are full body and will work only with that one iem. The ones that I have are like small tips that are shaped to my ears and will work on almost all iems, provided they have the requisite nozzle size.

I got the glow in the dark ones because why not? I mean look at how they glow!

May 15, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #6,253 of 7,699

Not cheap, it was around £100 1-2 years ago. The manufacturer does not guarantee, that it works on other IEMs. But you might get lucky, if the nozzle size is similar.

This glowing one looks cool.
smile.gif

May 15, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #6,254 of 7,699
Mine was made by ACS custom in the uk.

You need to go to an audiologist, who takes impressions of your ears, sends the mould to ACS, and you get your tips by post in about 3 weeks...

Mine were ACS too. Very good. Unfortunately ACS recently stopped doing the sleeves.
Snugs are one company who do them. Not cheap but worth it if you really like the IE80's and don't want to go full CIEM.
http://snugsearphones.co.uk/product-category/snugs-solo/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back