Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
May 8, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #6,226 of 7,699
Thanks for replying ... rotating the cables does fits better and there is less chance of these falling off ....pulling the cable to some extent also helps.... as these are my first overear earphones so they are a bit uncomfy to me but the sound makes this all go away as it is quite emersive ..... never had i heard such good sound from an in ear ...totally worth the price....

May 8, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #6,227 of 7,699
Thanks for replying ... rotating the cables does fits better and there is less chance of these falling off ....pulling the cable to some extent also helps.... as these are my first overear earphones so they are a bit uncomfy to me but the sound makes this all go away as it is quite emersive ..... never had i heard such good sound from an in ear ...totally worth the price....

I thught that they were much more comfortable than straight down cables.

I actually used to wear normal straight cable iems over the ear, because they would provide better seal, and better sq

May 8, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #6,228 of 7,699

You'll get used to it very fast, it was same for me... Cable touching my ear on the outer side was a bit frustrating and strange but in no time you won't be even thinking of going for iems other than cable over the ear ones. Being over the ear cables also do not produce so much noise when they are hitting your clothes and also stress on their critical point where they connect to earphone is reduced by far because it folds over your ear, bigger the ear less the stress on cables :), and also they won't fall off like "normal" earphones 

May 8, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #6,229 of 7,699
@Tail is right.... I can't go back to one just hanging down, feels wierd now...

May 8, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #6,230 of 7,699
Agreed the microphonics is nearly nil on ie80 as compared to my old htc default earphone .... this thick cable would vibrate in wind like anything .... i also agree that the over ear is comfortable but here in india it sweats high in summer and using it in these times is little uncompy also i will get used to it in time ....

May 13, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #6,232 of 7,699
  What are the chances an IE80 successor will be announced soon? Has anyone heard any rumors or anything to that effect?

a successor like ie800?..

not i think an ie800 i still a long way to come...

or maybe it exists already?

[i am not sure if you are serious asking this, or you are saying that ie800 is not good enough to be considered a true successor, due to all the problems it has]

May 13, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #6,233 of 7,699

[i am not sure if you are serious asking this, or you are saying that ie800 is not good enough to be considered a true successor, due to all the problems it has]

what? How did you get all that from what I wrote? I meant a successor in the same vein as the IE80, IE800 is the flagship but not a vis a vis successor or newer model meant to supplant the IE80. Right? 

Edit: There is a German audio show going on right? Maybe they are showing off prototypes to select people. Has been known to happen before.

May 13, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #6,234 of 7,699

what? How did you get all that from what I wrote? I meant a successor in the same vein as the IE80, IE800 is the flagship but not a vis a vis successor or newer model meant to supplant the IE80. Right? 

Edit: There is a German audio show going on right? Maybe they are showing off prototypes to select people. Has been known to happen before.

Well, they have just announced the HD630VB closed back... I think, there will be more to come this year, as the company celebrates the 70th birthday this year...
(Have to mention I do not like the non-detachable cable on the IE800 and the unjustifiable price tag, also I do not like the non-detachable cable of this new comer closed back one... And do not like the name as well... Highly doubt, it has anything to do with HD600-650 regarding sq for the price...) But there might be some surprise IEM coming to replace the IE80, which is not as insanely priced as the 800's...

May 13, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #6,235 of 7,699

I think he meant more like how the IE80 is the successor of the IE8.

May 13, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #6,236 of 7,699

I agree with you here. Sorry, i just fiind ie800 cables to be the turn off point of them, i am afraid that they will harden due to sweat at any moment, so i am a little too afraid to buy ie800, so i thought that you might be in the same situation. 

I tested both ie80 and own ie8, i was unable to tell which is which. Adding tape over the vents, but leaving a hole was much more efficient at changing the signature.

I would had loved ie80 to had solved all the problems with ie8, like it had mids a little too recessed, the treble was not loud enough, midbass 100hz was a little too much, clarity could had been better, and separation could had been better. All of these solved with ie800, but it has cable problems, which are known, the cables harden due to sweat, and eventually break. It is great though that they change the broken ones.

In fact, i think that if they were to create ie800 in ie80 enclosure, with detachable cables, but with ie800 tips, it would rule everything.

I still hope for ie800 sound within ie80 enclosure at ie80 price.

May 14, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #6,237 of 7,699
Well, they have just announced the HD630VB closed back... I think, there will be more to come this year, as the company celebrates the 70th birthday this year...

(Have to mention I do not like the non-detachable cable on the IE800 and the unjustifiable price tag, also I do not like the non-detachable cable of this new comer closed back one... And do not like the name as well... Highly doubt, it has anything to do with HD600-650 regarding sq for the price...) But there might be some surprise IEM coming to replace the IE80, which is not as insanely priced as the 800's...
the IE80 who has a heavy pricetag in the US was and is Made in China, the IE800 is made in Germany, handmade and with new not mass produced technology, that comes at a price. In Germany the official price for the IE80 is 299 Euro but you can find at 215 Euro nowadays. I could imagine an IE700, but with the big cans the HD700 was not a commercial succes, because it was not good enough to beat the HD650. That might be the problem with the IE80 to. A procedor might be not necessarely better when priced in between

May 14, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #6,238 of 7,699
the IE80 who has a heavy pricetag in the US was and is Made in China, the IE800 is made in Germany, handmade and with new not mass produced technology, that comes at a price. In Germany the official price for the IE80 is 299 Euro but you can find at 215 Euro nowadays. I could imagine an IE700, but with the big cans the HD700 was not a commercial succes, because it was not good enough to beat the HD650. That might be the problem with the IE80 to. A procedor might be not necessarely better when priced in between

I think that making a ie700 would be useless.

Ie800 were actually made by the same person who made HD800, as far as i know. 

I think that ie800 is the official successor to ie80 when it comes to sound qulaity, it is just double as price, not neccesarrly not worth the money asked, i would buy a pair of ie800.

May 14, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #6,240 of 7,699
  Where to go from the ie80s? As much as I love them with foam and their sound signature it's just not enough for when I'm traveling on the London Underground, too much sound leakage.

If you want complete isolation, ie800 is not for you either.

I think that full BAs can do this, but i have no experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back