Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
May 29, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #6,361 of 7,699

I jsut use it. I always use largest one. My ear channel is big. :)
A little bit AB 800 and 80. Yes, On good source, its soundstage is on par with 80. But this 800 is even selective on sources than 80! On a common laptop or tablet, even well amplifierd, it gives evil sound!!
frown.gif

I have only been using ie800 with fiio x5 + fiio e12a. I had not even tried connecting them to laptop or smartphone. Mostly because DC offset could damage them, and at this price point I want to protect them as much as possible.

May 29, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #6,363 of 7,699

Any obvious difference with and witohut E12a on X5?

Amazing difference. 

With ie80 the differences were big, but with ie800 the differences are even greater. Soundstage is bigger, details are much better, texture of instruments is better. 

And take into account that x5 was already an amazing sounding product!

May 29, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #6,365 of 7,699

I have E12 and yes. It's great. But not that big difference.

E12 is very different from E12A. The normal version is made for powerfull headphones, it introduces hiss with in ear monitors. E12A isolates all hiss, makes soundstage much bigger, is another thing completley. You should give it a try, if you can fiind it in a showroom close to you
wink.gif

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #6,367 of 7,699
Listening to ie80 which I bought few weeks ago, it's like a heaven when compared to my stock HTC one earphones , I am surprised at how much better the sound is . And I wonder how much more this can be improved if using a ie800 /shure 846 / jh13 with such outrageous priced iems with amps ... I believe that will a whole new world !

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #6,368 of 7,699
Listening to ie80 which I bought few weeks ago, it's like a heaven when compared to my stock HTC one earphones , I am surprised at how much better the sound is . And I wonder how much more this can be improved if using a ie800 /shure 846 / jh13 with such outrageous priced iems with amps ... I believe that will a whole new world !

IE80 is really good for general music use, jack of all trades. When I was trying my friends one and also auditioning one at the store, biggest problem was that the included tips weren't the best.

The tip selection can affect the sound because it will determine how good of a seal you get inside your ear.

I would recommend the following two to get the most out of them:

- JVC Spiral Dots - they insert relatively deep and are wide bore so it really shows off the IE80s soundstage
- Spinfit tips - narrower tip but is unique in that it has a cool mechanism at the tips neck to ensure that it bends to your ears angle to give best seal

They aren't cheap but they are both worth it. I have the spin fits and I have spiral dots on the way and I have something similar to spiral dots already at home and they are fantastic.

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #6,369 of 7,699

IE80 is really good for general music use, jack of all trades. When I was trying my friends one and also auditioning one at the store, biggest problem was that the included tips weren't the best.

The tip selection can affect the sound beside it will determine how good of a seal you get inside your ear.

- JVC Spiral Dots - they insert relatively deep and are wide bore so it really shows off the IE80s soundstage
- Spinfit tips - narrower tip but is unique in that it has a cool mechanism at the tips neck to ensure that it bends to your ears angle to give best seal

They aren't cheap but they are both worth it. I have the spin fits and I have spiral dots on the way and I have something similar to spiral dots already at home and they are fantastic.

I use comply tx-400 Plus
3 for $20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OOWBWA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #6,371 of 7,699

The tip selection can affect the sound beside it will determine how good of a seal you get inside your ear.

All high end Sennheiser's are for high dynamic symphonies - 980, 8, 80, 800 and full ones. No others can be compared with.

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #6,372 of 7,699

I use comply tx-400 Plus
3 for $20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OOWBWA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Comply foam degrades and needs to be replaced so thats an added expense. They give a great seal, but they do have an effect on the sound, generally a negative effect in my experience. I didn't personally like them :)

The large stock tips have worked best for me. I did have to put a piece of another tip inside to stiffen it a bit to get a better seal though.

Yeah the tips don't do the iems justice imo

All high end Sennheiser's are for high dynamic symphonies - 980, 8, 80, 800 and full ones. No others can be compared with.

I am not much of a classical music kind of guy but its fantastic for all music imo. I tried eqing down the bass a bit and it was perfect for pop music, edm and even acoustic and indie. 

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #6,373 of 7,699

IT really is different using ie800. You will get a totally different experience. I warn you: Ie800 have sharp treble, and pinpoint precision with every instrument. You have to tweak the treble of ie80 (from foobar) or other programs to add +12DB from 8khz to 20khz to see how ie800 would sound. I realy love this signature! 

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #6,374 of 7,699

I've listened to the ie8's ( previous iteration of the 80) for many years.
I'm enjoying them very much since getting an app which enables me to EQ out the dreaded midbass hump.
IMO there is nothing to be gained by using a separate amp.
Certainly with an iPhone and I expect the HTC.
Any improvement is tiny and not worth carting extra gear about for.
An additional amp makes you feel more audiophile, if that's your thing! :)
Custom tips are way cool. Especially if you have issues getting a good deal.
As to TOTL CIEM's, I'll let you know.
I'm waiting for a pair but I listen to my '8's and wonder just what I am expecting to be improved.
There are many ways to spend a lot of money in this hobby but if you have a nice set of IEM's and a decent source then you are all set. Again, IMHO.

Jun 5, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #6,375 of 7,699
There is a rare 50% off sale on the ie80 where I live - I am thinking to buy to use with my Sony A15. I am currently using Denon C710 which I, let's say have become accustomed to and quite enjoy, but have been looking/hoping to take a step up in quality. Does anyone have experience with the Denon C710 to compare it to the ie80. I am not a complete basshead but I do enjoy punchy bass and sub bass when it is there. I know you don't necessarily have to spend alot to get a good sound experience, but the ie80 seems to be a highly rated earphone, and at 50% off it seems to be too good to pass up. BTW I have no experience with any Sennheiser headphones/iems to know what their sound is like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back