Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
May 29, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #6,347 of 7,699
I assume Eugguy meant metallic paint finish.

Correct. Besides looking sleeker, I think the IE8 holds a definite raw sound over the IE80. I don't mean to get anyone's panties hot and bothered. At this moment the Roxanne Universal and the IE8 are on the same level enjoyment wise. There are way more details and layers in the Roxanne, but the IE8 wins on portability. There are plenty of HF's who also feel the same way in regards to the IE8>IE80, definitely not the first one to state. 

May 29, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #6,348 of 7,699
I think even those who say that the IE80 sound better don't find them to be significantly better; which is why I decided not to bother upgrading. The IE8s even as they are don't see much use so I couldn't justify selling a pair I paid 400 for at a loss just to grab the IE80. Granted that the IE80 are significantly cheaper now, the IE8s hold a certain charm. At the least they came better packaged that's for sure. The IE8s were released when 300 dollar earphones were still a novelty and you can tell that Sennheiser tried to put their most convincing face on the whole thing. I don't have the packaging from my Triplefi10P or the W3 but I still have the box from the Senns. Would be a shame to toss it out. If they're anything like the Denon AHD5K I own, maybe I can make a tidy profit from selling them in the future. But I doubt it. Not with the IE800s looming over the IE8 or the 80s. Speaking of, the IE800s... are much better are they compared to the 80? they're still 3-4 times the price of the 80s. 

May 29, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #6,349 of 7,699
The sound of 8i is different from 8. 8i should be closer to 80. I just wonder what happend if switch their cable.
BTW, In a large extent, a best sound is from proper wearing them, for 80 and I believe for 8 an 8i.

May 29, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #6,350 of 7,699
  The sound of 8i is different from 8. 8i should be closer to 80. I just wonder what happend if switch their cable.
BTW, In a large extent, a best sound is from proper wearing them, for 80 and I believe for 8 an 8i.

I believe that the only diff is in the cable. BTW, do the IE8s benefit from silver or silver plated cables? Been thinking of buying a new cable for the IE8 to preserve the original cable. 

May 29, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #6,352 of 7,699
  Isn't the original reinforced with kevlar? 

not.

The original ie8 cable is just rubber with cooper. 

SQ wise differences when changing cables are minimal, but existent. YMMV
  I believe that the only diff is in the cable. BTW, do the IE8s benefit from silver or silver plated cables? Been thinking of buying a new cable for the IE8 to preserve the original cable. 

The original cable is pretty good as it is. I would not bother changing it, the differences are not great but existent, so you might not like the new signature. 

Wearing them as they should be worn is a difficult task. In the time I had with them, I can only say that it has been very hard keeping the same tips on for more than one month. Signature changes a lot with tips. But sometimes my ears would not get a seal with the same tip.

I think even those who say that the IE80 sound better don't find them to be significantly better; which is why I decided not to bother upgrading. The IE8s even as they are don't see much use so I couldn't justify selling a pair I paid 400 for at a loss just to grab the IE80. Granted that the IE80 are significantly cheaper now, the IE8s hold a certain charm. At the least they came better packaged that's for sure. The IE8s were released when 300 dollar earphones were still a novelty and you can tell that Sennheiser tried to put their most convincing face on the whole thing. I don't have the packaging from my Triplefi10P or the W3 but I still have the box from the Senns. Would be a shame to toss it out. If they're anything like the Denon AHD5K I own, maybe I can make a tidy profit from selling them in the future. But I doubt it. Not with the IE800s looming over the IE8 or the 80s. Speaking of, the IE800s... are much better are they compared to the 80? they're still 3-4 times the price of the 80s. 

Ie800?... They are another world of clarity. Imagine this:

take ie8. 
give it bass
take away the mid bass hump, 
give it 8-20Khz boost so that now you hear all the cymbals
give it comfort
give it better seal
give it the best detail retrieval. 

I know that this sounds cliche, but I am able to hear new things in my music. And this time there are a load of new things. I mean, like hearing new instruments, like in haggard, hearing that there actually are more violins playing instead of only one. and hear every note of every violing. 

give it better soundstage, more precise, larger.
gie it better mids, more musicality.

Is it worth the price? In romania ie800 are twice the price of ie80. They might be worth more. 

Consider this, ie80, at their price kill almost all competition. There are very few that can stand a chance against them. Ie800 are even better. Sennheiser is producing very good sounding iems and headphones, that fit all tastes. 

If I were to compare ie80 sound similar to hd650, where ie800 sound similar to hd800.

If anyone owns a fiio x5 and wants to hear how ie800 sounds compared try this on eq:

FrequencyQuantity
Hz

Db

+6

+6

The general signature comes somewhere in clarity, but not in resolution. Ie80 are a jewel in technology, ie800 are even better. 

I carry a great deal of respect for sennheiser.

Considering the pricings, ie8/80 they are meant more for the mainstream listener, who wants more of a relaxed, smooth presenation. Ie800 features a much more treble, which is great, I love having more treble, it is more exact. 

If I were to use a word for ie800, it would be pinpoint precision for everything. 

May 29, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #6,354 of 7,699

I saw somewhere someone review a silver (or silver plated?) cable and claim it makes 80s sound much better. But had an impresssion that the cable almost cost the similar price as 80 itself!
Seems the drivers are the same for both 8 and 80. But not only cable, some difference of shell might be  more important.

May 29, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #6,355 of 7,699

I saw somewhere someone review a silver (or silver plated?) cable and claim it makes 80s sound much better. But had an impresssion that the cable almost cost the similar price as 80 itself!
Seems the drivers are the same for both 8 and 80. But not only cable, some difference of shell might be  more important.

Cables make a difference, very expensive ones make more differences. But if you are going to pay double it's price, might as well get ie800.
  What's all of your favorite non-stock tip for getting a good seal? I've always struggled with the Senn tips... comfortable, but not great for getting a seal. 

I had tried a pleathora of tips. 

Stock works best, double flange and simple flange all sizes. Trying other companies was not great, most changes SQ and it was not for me.. I think that sennheiser tested the SQ when designing the tips.

May 29, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #6,356 of 7,699
  Cables make a difference, very expensive ones make more differences. But if you are going to pay double it's price, might as well get ie800.
I had tried a pleathora of tips. 

Stock works best, double flange and simple flange all sizes. Trying other companies was not great, most changes SQ and it was not for me.. I think that sennheiser tested the SQ when designing the tips.

WHat do you think of 800's soundstage? I liked it at first. But more and more listening, I think it's pretty smaller than 80, especially without amplifiers (I don't use DAP). Though it's pixel is higher than 80, I feel 80 is enjoyable. I want to enjoy mucic, I don't want to analyze music.

May 29, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #6,357 of 7,699
  WHat do you think of 800's soundstage? I liked it at first. But more and more listening, I think it's pretty smaller than 80, especially without amplifiers (I don't use DAP). Though it's pixel is higher than 80, I feel 80 is enjoyable. I want to enjoy mucic, I don't want to analyze music.

We are different here
redface.gif

As much as I would love to enjoy music, I am much more into analyzing it. 

Ie800 is like scanning the music with the highest resolution possible scanner. It brings out everything. And it is so much fun! This is what I ever wanted. 

Soundstage is up to hd800 levels, if used with the right tips. Largers and large ovals provided more soundstage than ie80 in my experience.

(I should mention that I rarely hear differences if there are not obvious ones. I had a hard time telling ie8 and ie80 apart, so I will be reffering to ie8 as ie80 and vice versa. For me it was the same. I use my ie8 with heavy EQ anyways.)

Ie80 is much smoother in the treble and mids. This is a matter of taste, I love thing to be more explicit, but there are people who love smooth presentation Hd650 will never loose any fans because it is one of the most smooth headphones in existence. Hd800 will never loose fans because it is very detailed and explicit in treble
biggrin.gif

Same here. They are extremely different.

At first, when I tried ie800 with small and medium tips, I thought that ie80 soundstage might had been bigger, but after putting oval tips large, the soundstage can stand up to it's name of sennheiser's flagship!

May 29, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #6,358 of 7,699
  We are different here
redface.gif

As much as I would love to enjoy music, I am much more into analyzing it. 

Ie800 is like scanning the music with the highest resolution possible scanner. It brings out everything. And it is so much fun! This is what I ever wanted. 

Soundstage is up to hd800 levels, if used with the right tips. Largers and large ovals provided more soundstage than ie80 in my experience.

(I should mention that I rarely hear differences if there are not obvious ones. I had a hard time telling ie8 and ie80 apart, so I will be reffering to ie8 as ie80 and vice versa. For me it was the same. I use my ie8 with heavy EQ anyways.)

Ie80 is much smoother in the treble and mids. This is a matter of taste, I love thing to be more explicit, but there are people who love smooth presentation Hd650 will never loose any fans because it is one of the most smooth headphones in existence. Hd800 will never loose fans because it is very detailed and explicit in treble
biggrin.gif

Same here. They are extremely different.

At first, when I tried ie800 with small and medium tips, I thought that ie80 soundstage might had been bigger, but after putting oval tips large, the soundstage can stand up to it's name of sennheiser's flagship!

What's tip you said for 800?
Anyway. To me, when well amplified, its soundstage may be close to 80, no way bigger. It  might be more natural due to its double vents.

May 29, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #6,360 of 7,699
  Large oval tip for ie800. Large round tip is even better, but I am unable to get a seal with it. 

I jsut use it. I always use largest one. My ear channel is big. :)
A little bit AB 800 and 80. Yes, On good source, its soundstage is on par with 80. But this 800 is even selective on sources than 80! On a common laptop or tablet, even well amplifierd, it gives evil sound!!
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back