Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #4,846 of 7,699
Both products are "dispatched from and sold by Amazon".  Amazon itself is an authorised Sennheiser dealer right?

Going back to my original question, is there more than one model/version/revision of the IE 80.  Why is Amazon (itself) selling one pair at £185.99 and the other at £229.99?

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #4,848 of 7,699
I've made enquiries with the Amazon customer service bods but regrettably, they don't seem very astute to the matter.

On a separate note I'm planning on getting the IE 80s primarily for use in the gym.  Would anyone have concerns about them being used whilst weightlifting etc?  I'm not planning to sweat on them, since I've bought some PMX 685is for running.

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #4,849 of 7,699
  I've made enquiries with the Amazon customer service bods but regrettably, they don't seem very astute to the matter.

On a separate note I'm planning on getting the IE 80s primarily for use in the gym.  Would anyone have concerns about them being used whilst weightlifting etc?  I'm not planning to sweat on them, since I've bought some PMX 685is for running.

Personally, I wouldn't use such an expensive pair of earphones at the gym. I wouldn't be listening analytically when out so why buy such an expensive pair? A cheaper $40 pair of earphones should do just fine for somewhere like the gym. Not to mention the possibility of damage. Imagine getting the cable caught somewhere mid exercise and tugging it forcefully.

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #4,850 of 7,699
I've destroyed two pairs of Klipsch (X10i and more recently, X10s) by using them at the gym. I need good sound quality whilst doing my workouts, and my reasoning with the IE 80s is that if the cable becomes damaged, it's relatively cheap to buy a replacement stock cable. Am I right in thinking that the earbuds themselves have good enough build quality to withstand gym use, and the only danger is therefore to the cable? My late Klipsch headphones both died of cable failure. I was thinking about getting the Sony XBA-4ip as an alternative to the Klipsch but the Sonys don't have replaceable cables.

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #4,853 of 7,699

I use them to go for a walk in the mountains. my feedback is that they don't isolate much (more than 685 obviously) so in a gym you might prefer a pair with good isolation.
I use some comply foam tips and going over the ear to the back of the head will stay perfectly in place with the cord block at the back of the neck. other solutions will tend to get the cable moving too much like pacman said. so again if you lie on your back the cable might be a bother that way.  compromises !!! always.

and for those wondering, running with them isn't fun as you get a nasty wind blowing noise that forces you to push the volume up a lot.
else the sound signature is really good for activities as it is not a fatiguing one, yet you still have real music and not what I get out of my koss plug ^_^.

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #4,854 of 7,699
  Hi everyone,

Is it true that the IE80s have more detail than IE8?

Is it also true that these need 200+ hours of burn-in to open up?

Yes burn in does improve the ie80. My ie80 sounds better after a while compared to when i receive them. Its also have detailed sound especially with tape mod.

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #4,856 of 7,699

Thats great news. Just ordered mines, should arrive within 2 days. Can you please tell me what's tape mod? Any pictures? :)

Just cover the vents of the IE80 with clear tape. :)

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #4,858 of 7,699
and, where are these "vents" should be?

the bass tuner it self is the vent . got it?? so cover the whole silver face plate with a clear or black tape

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #4,860 of 7,699
Deleted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back