Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #4,861 of 7,699
  That easy? Sweet! So what are the expected results?

very well controlled bottom end with a slight forwardness to the mids and overall the pretty balanced sound than the stock.. simply on stock IE80 lags abit on Complex records... such as metal ( do not recommend these iem's for ) Goa , + etc.. but after tape mode the iem starts to reveal quite a lot of details ( hidden by bass earlier ) so tape mode makes the presentation a bit more forward :)

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #4,863 of 7,699
Sep 10, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #4,865 of 7,699
and, where are these "vents" should be?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't:p the vents the dark gray-colored semi-oblongs right beside the LR markings?

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #4,866 of 7,699
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't:p the vents the dark gray-colored semi-oblongs right beside the LR markings?

No, those are covers for the screws that hold the body together. The vent is the black screw w/slot head. It vents the chamber behind the driver. The amount of venting is variable depending on the position of the screw.

Sep 11, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #4,867 of 7,699
Received my IE 80s from Amazon.

The only tips that really work for me are the medium single flange that are already loaded on the IE 80s out of the box.

I've been reading this thread and it seems that JVC tips are in most respects better than the bundled Sennheiser tips.

Does anyone know where I can get the said JVC tips in the UK?  I've seen quite a few on eBay UK but I'd rather buy a retail box.  Does anyone know the correct model number?

I've also been thinking about Comply tips, in particular, the T-500 in medium, however, the Sennheiser bundled small foam tips don't work at all for me (they don't seal) and because the Comply tips are fairly expensive, I think me buying them would probably be a waste of money.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Sep 11, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #4,868 of 7,699

The only tips that really work for me are the medium single flange that are already loaded on the IE 80s out of the box.

I've been reading this thread and it seems that JVC tips are in most respects better than the bundled Sennheiser tips.

Does anyone know where I can get the said JVC tips in the UK?  I've seen quite a few on eBay UK but I'd rather buy a retail box.  Does anyone know the correct model number?

I've also been thinking about Comply tips, in particular, the T-500 in medium, however, the Sennheiser bundled small foam tips don't work at all for me (they don't seal) and because the Comply tips are fairly expensive, I think me buying them would probably be a waste of money.

comply tips is not recommended for ie80. It will muffle the high and soundstage. Best tips for me is the jvc but even with jvc i need to do a little mod to make perfect fit for my ear.

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #4,869 of 7,699

Just one more question: can one expect the same levels of detail and instrumental separation from the IE80s in comparison to W4 that you own?

Detail levels are almost the same.... but w4s instrumental separation is waay better than with the IE80's.. soundstage is almost the same but a bit bigger on the IE80's. westone 4's are very clean and mid forward sounding , but pretty shy on bass ( Virtually flat ) .. while Ie80's are pretty bassy ( very hard hitting and bottomless) and due to that the mid's and highs are pushed abit ( you can call it the legendary sennheiser Vail  XD ). Bass in no where near bloated in my opinion but it makes fast phase music more thicker than it should . so people miss judge it to be bloaty sounding and lacking in details... sometimes I feel my HD650's  's the same way when comparing with my K702 Annie's lol..

but when you mode the ie80's they are pretty much same sounding as westone 4's, so the choice is all about what you listen to.. if you enjoy modern music + chamber music ( but not metal music ) I would tell you IE80's are one of the best options you can have , or if you like more jazzy music + fast phase music ( metal , goa , etc ) and love a bit of forward mids you cant go wrong with westone 4's ever.. :)

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #4,870 of 7,699

indeed.. jvc and those auvio or what ever they called  it tips are better .. comply foam makes 80's even more bassy + it gives you very muffled mids

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #4,871 of 7,699
Just received my IE80 today.  I also need some help on tips.

I've been through most of the included ones and most fit poorly and make the bass sound very thin.  The only ones that fit well and provide the sound I expect are the deafult medium tips as fitted when supplied, just like shashu above.

My question is a little different however: I will not be using the guides and wearing them over ear, I will be wearing them in the traditional style.  This means I'll need to reverse them, i.e. left piece in right ear and vice versa.  To save the trouble of orientating them in a confusing manner everytime I wear them, I thought I could perhaps source some coloured tips and have red for right and black/blue for left or whatever.

Which are the closest tips to Sennheiser's medium silcone tips but are available in various colours and can be sourced within the UK?

Bonus question: how common is it for people to wear them in the traditional manner, it seems a shame for the left/right channels then not to tally with you left/right ears?  Or am I doing something silly!?!

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #4,872 of 7,699
  To save the trouble of orientating them in a confusing manner everytime I wear them, I thought I could perhaps source some coloured tips and have red for right and black/blue for left or whatever.

You can get colored adhesive dots at most stationary stores. Red dot for the right housing, or really the left in your case. 

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #4,873 of 7,699
  Just received my IE80 today.  I also need some help on tips.

I've been through most of the included ones and most fit poorly and make the bass sound very thin.  The only ones that fit well and provide the sound I expect are the deafult medium tips as fitted when supplied, just like shashu above.

My question is a little different however: I will not be using the guides and wearing them over ear, I will be wearing them in the traditional style.  This means I'll need to reverse them, i.e. left piece in right ear and vice versa.  To save the trouble of orientating them in a confusing manner everytime I wear them, I thought I could perhaps source some coloured tips and have red for right and black/blue for left or whatever.

Which are the closest tips to Sennheiser's medium silcone tips but are available in various colours and can be sourced within the UK?

Bonus question: how common is it for people to wear them in the traditional manner, it seems a shame for the left/right channels then not to tally with you left/right ears?  Or am I doing something silly!?!

Sennheiser designed the ie80s quite carefully including how you wear them. I tried your reversal and it doesn't work sonically. The major issue is that the way these iems are angled means that the tragus and antitragus affect how you fit these into your ears in the traditional way. They just won't fit deeply enough and the sound will be seriously affected - especially the bass but the L/R balance is affected as well. See this diagram.

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #4,875 of 7,699
  Has anybody here heard the hifiman RE-400? Any comparisons with the IE80?

RE400 has more neutral sound, similar to a good BA IEMs like Etymotics (ER and HF). Sound is more thin, when IE80 has a big sound with a large and open soundstage. RE400 depends more to the source, while IE80 sounds good even from mainstream players, i mean that RE400 loves powerful sources. RE400 sounds pretty good with metal and speed hard music, IE80 are not speedy IEMs and they have got problems with hard guitar music. For my ears i don't find a perfect fit with both, isolation is not good in both too, about 6.5 from 10 points.My vote for IE80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back