Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Nov 25, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #3,796 of 7,699
Quote:
Tape mod does not work for me. Bass is gone, whole sound signature is destroyed... Imho

That's exactly what i think too!So,i have to do more then 200 hours of burn in to make them sound good,i have to search for others tips that suit me well because stocks tips don't want to stay in my ears and then i also have to put a piece of tape on them to adjust sound signature...
blink.gif
but,hey..it's only me and maybe few others in 253 pages with these problems so, Ethix ,don't worry you will like them
wink_face.gif

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #3,797 of 7,699
Bought the cable from fishbone, now just waiting it to be mailed. Should be interesting how I will perceive IE80's sound signature since It's been almost 4 months since I've listened to them. 

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #3,798 of 7,699
That's exactly what i think too!So,i have to do more then 200 hours of burn in to make them sound good,i have to search for others tips that suit me well because stocks tips don't want to stay in my ears and then i also have to put a piece of tape on them to adjust sound signature...:blink: but,hey..it's only me and maybe few others in 253 pages with these problems so, Ethix ,don't worry you will like them:wink_face:

This IEM are not for you definitively :) But a lot of people like me really enjoy it !

For the fitting I have just ordered from Ebay very cheap JVC tips and now I get a perfect seal, my DAP have already a lot of bass and the tape mode give me just the amount of bass I was looking for.

Changing the cable give me a better soundstage and mids have more details, enjoying a lot this IEM, they may be not the best in the world, but not the worse at all for 200 Euros.

Hope you can find a customer soon and get a better IEM for your ears.

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #3,799 of 7,699
Quote:
This IEM are not for you definitively
smily_headphones1.gif
But a lot of people like me really enjoy it !
For the fitting I have just ordered from Ebay very cheap JVC tips and now I get a perfect seal, my DAP have already a lot of bass and the tape mode give me just the amount of bass I was looking for.
Changing the cable give me a better sound stage and mids have more details, enjoying a lot this IEM, they may be not the best in the world, but not the worse at all for 200 Euros.
Hope you can find a customer soon and get a better IEM for your ears.

Yep to be honest to find this balance, sound quality and versatility among so many genres of music in an IEM is pretty much not gonna happen at the $500.00 range and the IE80s does that. Tape mod, silver cable and a good source (hisound is superb with Sennheiser) and you have audio nirvana.

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #3,800 of 7,699
Quote:
I found the bass to increase with usage with this mod in place. Try give it some time and go back. There is a ton of bass still. Just it is more source dependent. If the track calls for a lot of bass the IE80 will have a lot. Patience is a virtue. They actually undergo burn in again with the tape mod. Bass will end up having even more impact than originally just the focus is purely on sub bass as mid bass is very well controlled. Unless you prefer a presentation with muddy mid bass then more power to you :). I just got use to the mod and when I went back could really tell how muddy it was in the mid bass in comparison.

I find it hard to understand that putting tape over the driver means it requires re-burning in. I think it's just your ears and brain trying to adjust to the new sound signature. 

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #3,801 of 7,699
Quote:

I find it hard to understand that putting tape over the driver means it requires re-burning in. I think it's just your ears and brain trying to adjust to the new sound signature. 

Not from what I've experienced. Initially the sub bass was rather light. I could understand why some may not like it. But given time the bass increased considerably. Not subtle. Very punchy and lots of sub bass. So that was not due to brain burn in. Not sure if you are aware of it but vents on an IEM can also increase sub bass if blocked. This is even evident on the AKG3003 and the MDR-7550s :wink:. But in this case on the IE80s it kills the bloated mid bass which was causing the IEMs to sound slow and leads to lost detail in both treble and mids.

Believe me I'm very accustomed to bass heavy sound signatures and can easily differentiate it from bass light. I still consider the EX1000 bass light in comparison to the tape modded IE80 but I didn't mind that at all as the EX1000 had great quality. I think the RE262 were rather bass light in comparison though lol.

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #3,802 of 7,699
Quote:

I would think the same. But cause of the other positive comments I might give it another try...

Nov 26, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #3,803 of 7,699
Ok, Tape mod second try: 
 I still dont believe, it needs an other 200 hours burn in with tape on the ventile.... 
But what I experience second time try, with more concentrated listening is; more details in the mids and highs, more relevant mids and highs. 
Middle and upper bass is is way more less... Deep bass is the same. Feels like the power of middle and upper bass was given to the mids and highs...
I really enjoy this improvement in mids and highs. But I miss something from the bass. Even with different EQ... 
I give it more time, and see, what happens...

Nov 26, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #3,804 of 7,699
Tape mod requires a much flatter EQ... Like this it might work... :)
But still lack of upper bass, though is was too much without it...

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #3,805 of 7,699
Quote:
Tape mod requires a much flatter EQ... Like this it might work... :)
But still lack of upper bass, though is was too much without it...

Well bestula I used them for say 3 to 4 days with the tape mod and for some strange reason I swear the sub bass increased in both quantity and impact. I mean on tracks that are bass heavy damn the thing really slams.... Almost too much lol. So much impact I was wondering if the driver was gonna rip apart in the housing lol :p.

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #3,806 of 7,699
Mine just arrived with the Comply tips.
It's like hearing every album for the first time again. Really happy that I bought these.

Can only imagine what will happen after burn-in/experimentation with the tape mod and such.

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #3,807 of 7,699
Bass isn't as strong as I expected it to be. It's still pretty nice but I've had better with headphones on a lower price range. Everything else is fantastic though. I might be having a little bit of trouble with my seal (it feels like I'm not getting as much out of the headphones as I should be). On every other headphone I've owned it usually just "pops" right in but with the Comply medium foam tips I don't get that same deep bass sound as before.

I've tried pretty much all the tips supplied by Sennheiser and they are a complete waste. If I didn't know about the Comply tips, I would believe the IE80s were overrated while using the default tips. So basically my question is.. what tips do you guys use for a perfect and bass friendly seal? Should I try upgrading to larger Comply tip or are there better seals out there under a completely different name?

Also.. regarding the Toxic Cable and FiiO E11 Amp. How significantly does it improve bass on these?
I listen to all genres of music, so this is pretty important for me when it comes to my headphones.

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #3,808 of 7,699
Bass isn't as strong as I expected it to be. It's still pretty nice but I've had better with headphones on a lower price range. Everything else is fantastic though. I might be having a little bit of trouble with my seal (it feels like I'm not getting as much out of the headphones as I should be). On every other headphone I've owned it usually just "pops" right in but with the Comply medium foam tips I don't get that same deep bass sound as before.

I've tried pretty much all the tips supplied by Sennheiser and they are a complete waste. If I didn't know about the Comply tips, I would believe the IE80s were overrated while using the default tips. So basically my question is.. what tips do you guys use for a perfect and bass friendly seal? Should I try upgrading to larger Comply tip or are there better seals out there under a completely different name?

Also.. regarding the Toxic Cable and FiiO E11 Amp. How significantly does it improve bass on these?
I listen to all genres of music, so this is pretty important for me when it comes to my headphones.

If you're looking for bass quantity, have you tried experimenting with the bass dial? It can make the bass be apparent and noticeable in almost every track.

And I've seen the Comply TX500 tips being praised here, and while I've never used them, many others will say the same, so why not give it a try?

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #3,809 of 7,699
Quote:

What size tips gave you the closest to a good seal out of the IE80 tips? Was it large medium or small? I use large JVC single flange tips. I ordered them from amazon a long time ago and recently ordered some from ebay (same ones but cheaper). Get them in black as that is the same material. The material will also make a difference in fit, seal and sound.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-x-Compatible-JVC-Ear-Bud-Gel-Tips-Various-Colours-Size-Large-/350641817479?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item905f3befbf

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #3,810 of 7,699
I've messed with the dial and the bass didn't really feel boosted THAT much. How much burn-in do these things require?
Lee, I think that's EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Going to buy it now. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back