Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Nov 27, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #3,811 of 7,699
Quote:
I've messed with the dial and the bass didn't really feel boosted THAT much. How much burn-in do these things require?
Lee, I think that's EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Going to buy it now. Thanks!

They have different sizes though. The link I gave you is to the large single flanges. They also have medium and small. So determine which one gives you the best seal out of your IE80 tips and go with that size for the JVCs, just make sure to get them in black color.

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #3,813 of 7,699
Quote:
lol, woops. looks like im going to have to buy another pair cause i bought them in green.

Well if you do let me know if there is a difference between the material on them. I was just saying this as a precaution. I'm not sure if the other colors are the same material or not so i can't guarantee anything. Either way I can't guarantee anything lol but you know what I mean :).

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #3,815 of 7,699
Ok, something magical just happened and the seal on my tips are like perfect now. I think I wasn't pushing them in enough or something or the angle I was placing them in my ear was wrong, but holy **** it's 3x better now.

Sweet.

Nov 27, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #3,817 of 7,699
Which brings up a good point. I got my ie80s today and fitted the Comply TX500s, pushed them into my ears and they sounded awful. Bloated muddy bass, shrill sibilant highs and virtually non-existent mids. Oh no, I thought, FAKES!

But while I was listening I lifted my head and tilted it backwards and the sound improved dramatically as my lobes pulled on the cables. This led me to pulling the iems out of my ears very slightly and, to quote a previous poster, HOLY C**P. These things sound amazing. So, how deep you position them in your ears is obviously very important. The Comply tips have made a difference as this doesn't happen with the standard Senn tips.

I am just in awe of these earphones. At the moment they are blowing my HD580s out of the water. I should go to bed but just can't stop listening and experimenting. At the moment Grace Jones with Robbie Shakespeare's superb bass guitar are making such great music and this is how I would describe these iems - so musical!

Nov 27, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #3,818 of 7,699
How about trying comply t (not x) inverted ? that seemed to solve many past unhappy comply cases mainly because

- the inner comply canal is closer to surface so less chances sound gets muffled by any protruding foam contacting the ears
- the outside foam is larger (the tip is V-shaped so inverting it gets you this) so it will be tighter in you ear

inverted medium comply´s T500 solved some fitments for me also because my ear size for tips is something between medium and large, not really medium not really large

Nov 27, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #3,819 of 7,699
I am quite happy with comply tips. But still tempted, going for custom sleeves... If I have good seal with comply is there any improvement with customs? 

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #3,820 of 7,699
It's possible but also a hassle & can be expensive having to go through refits (shipping). I don't think complys will do as well as a good sealing silicone tip. Plus you won't be replacing them every few weeks lol. Comply tips are way way overpriced.

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #3,821 of 7,699
IE80 came with couple pair of foam tips, but they were too small for me (which seems strange to me given how you get so many other weird tips that people use but no "big" foam to match the large flanges).  I would like to try Comply but I don't really want to buy the wrong one / wrong size since they don't exactly come in sampler packs.

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #3,823 of 7,699
I got so many tips I have them mixed up so I don't even know which ones actually came with the IE80.  If the one I'm used to is the one that came with IE80 then the JVCs are shorter, if the ones that came with IE80 are shorter then they're actually pretty much the same.  Either way they are definitely shorter than the biflange that came with the IE80.

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #3,824 of 7,699
Quote:
Why is that JVC tips better than Sennheiser's? To me it looks exactly the same on picture... 

Thicker material, different material, not exactly the same size and shape. It actually wears with use so leads to a better fit as well. I can barely get a seal with the large single flanges on the IE80 tips nor with the large double flange and easily lose the seal when moving around. With these I don't have that issue at all and I get a great seal with the best sound quality as well.

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #3,825 of 7,699
Quote:
I got so many tips I have them mixed up so I don't even know which ones actually came with the IE80.  If the one I'm used to is the one that came with IE80 then the JVCs are shorter, if the ones that came with IE80 are shorter then they're actually pretty much the same.  Either way they are definitely shorter than the biflange that came with the IE80.

The thing is those double flanges may not give you a good seal just because they are longer. Some people don't have narrow ear canals but have wide ear canals like myself. Those double flanges don't really give me a seal they just slide into my ear without giving a proper seal. The large single flanges from the JVCs actually create a great seal on the other hand. A part of this is because the material is flexible yet at the same time supple while double flanges just don't have much flexibility so they won't really contour to your ear unless you have a narrower ear canal. One issue with the single large flanges out of the IE80 tips is that the material is too thin, too flexible so it doesn't give me a good seal either. I've managed to get a seal with them but I always break the seal when moving around and I have to fight to get a seal as opposed to just putting the IE80 in my ears and I'm good (JVC tips).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back