Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Nov 25, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #3,781 of 7,699
Lee,I've already tried the tape mod.For sure in this way you hear more details,but only the fact that i have to modify a headphone that i've paid a lot  makes me uncomfortable.I thought it was a problem of finding the right tip and i've read that those from meelectronics are really good but i've to buy them only from the original website and the shipping would have cost 30 $.So I think that maybe another headphone would suit me better.. 

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #3,782 of 7,699
Well it depends on what you are after then. FX700 are good but have recessed mids but treble and bass are superb. EX1000 is also considered one of the top IEMs. I hear treble spikes on them so a no go for me. It may work for you though. EX1000 lacks bass quantity though but has great quantity. The MDR-7550s have more bass quantity with similar quality to the EX1000 without the treble spikes (at least they don't bother me). PFE232 is also good from what I hear.

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #3,783 of 7,699
Lee,I've already tried the tape mod.For sure in this way you hear more details,but only the fact that i have to modify a headphone that i've paid a lot  makes me uncomfortable.I thought it was a problem of finding the right tip and i've read that those from meelectronics are really good but i've to buy them only from the original website and the shipping would have cost 30 $.So I think that maybe another headphone would suit me better.. 

I have always to "fight" with my IEM's before I'm totally satisfied with the fitting and the sound, changing the cable, trying tip, tuning my DAP.

Which DAP are you using with your IE-80 ?

Hope you find a better IEM for your ears and your taste !

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #3,784 of 7,699
Quote:
I have always to "fight" with my IEM's before I'm totally satisfied with the fitting and the sound, changing the cable, trying tip, tuning my DAP.
Which DAP are you using with your IE-80 ?
Hope you find a better IEM for your ears and your taste !

I know the feeling. But the IE80s have managed to stay with me from the very beginning (IE8s). But now I am at the point where my lower gear isn't satisfying me anymore. I think it may be time for me to sell my IE80s as well lol. I think 2 very very good IEMs will suite me opposed to 1 very very good IEM and 2 good IEMs. I hope the 8As will live up to their reputation :).

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #3,785 of 7,699
I know the feeling. But the IE80s have managed to stay with me from the very beginning (IE8s). But now I am at the point where my lower gear isn't satisfying me anymore. I think it may be time for me to sell my IE80s as well lol. I think 2 very very good IEMs will suite me opposed to 1 very very good IEM and 2 good IEMs. I hope the 8As will live up to their reputation :).

From my side I'll still be a little more time with them, I appreciate it more with the tape mode. You are a lucky guy Lee :rolleyes:

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #3,786 of 7,699
Migou,i have a cowon iaudio 10 since september and it is wonderful..before i had an ipod nano which lasted 5 years.With my ipod i had a pair of bose which i had for free..switching to klipsch s4 i missed the bass of bose,at first.But after some days i realized bose are just a "marketing" product.You pay a lot for the brand,and the audio quality is only so so.Anyway,Lee,after reading all this thread i was convinced that you were going to marry these IE80
biggrin.gif
what happened to you
confused.gif
?

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #3,787 of 7,699
The best headphones I've owned before these were the CX 300-II so as long as the IE80 blows them out of the water (which I'm betting they will from what I've heard on this thread/other sites), I'll be 100% satisfied. Seems like I'm a little late to the party here though. 

What exactly does the tape mod do?
Is it preferred by almost everyone?

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #3,788 of 7,699
The best headphones I've owned before these were the CX 300-II so as long as the IE80 blows them out of the water (which I'm betting they will from what I've heard on this thread/other sites), I'll be 100% satisfied. Seems like I'm a little late to the party here though. 

What exactly does the tape mod do?
Is it preferred by almost everyone?

The tape mode change a little bit the signature, less bass but more controlled and mid have more details, more forward. But this depend on the source and settings you have and also with your fitting. It's easy to try, some like the change and other no.

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #3,789 of 7,699
No,the tape mod isn't preferred by everyone(me for example).The ie80 have A LOT of bass..even if i'm not able to judge its quality,i can easily say that they are bassy iems.I'll give you an example:when you listen to a song where the bass is the protagonist,electronic for example,and in between there is a vocal part it's like the impact of bass covers vocals.So if you listen to rock,acoustic,classical,jazz they are really great and with these types of music you can really appreciate the soundstage.But if you prefer a more bassy genre and at the same time also details..hmm..Using the tape mod the bass doesn't go over all the rest,and it's like everything is thicker in the sound..at first is pleasant,but it's not so difficult understanding that without the sound is richer and full..

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #3,795 of 7,699
Quote:
Tape mod does not work for me. Bass is gone, whole sound signature is destroyed... Imho

I found the bass to increase with usage with this mod in place. Try give it some time and go back. There is a ton of bass still. Just it is more source dependent. If the track calls for a lot of bass the IE80 will have a lot. Patience is a virtue. They actually undergo burn in again with the tape mod. Bass will end up having even more impact than originally just the focus is purely on sub bass as mid bass is very well controlled. Unless you prefer a presentation with muddy mid bass then more power to you :). I just got use to the mod and when I went back could really tell how muddy it was in the mid bass in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back