Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #3,751 of 7,699
Thank you all for your suggestions
bigsmile_face.gif
I've tried the tape mod,it's not bad but i prefer without..But i am feeling quite happy because i'm listening now my ie80 after leaving them burn-in since yesterday morning..and i do notice a very good improvement,now everything is a lot more detailed,the bass is the same but mids and trebles are much more prominent..I don't now if it is the burn in or just my cowon but everything is more exciting!Now when i switch back to my Klipsch i can hear the difference!At the moment they have about 75 hours..but at this moment i want to hear how they're gonna sound next days..next stop :150 hours
popcorn.gif
and of course i'll try others tips!

I own both and it's a huge difference between the two in terms of soundstage and detail. There are literally full instruments missing when listen to the S4i.

Nov 17, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #3,752 of 7,699
I've just bought these from an Australian based online company for $360 and will get them sometime next week. The feedback about the company makes it look as if they are the genuine thing (and for that price they should be). I'll use the how to spot fakes thread to check them out.

I've also ordered a set of the Comply tx500s from an online seller and will use those when they arrive. I seem to generate a lot of wax in my ears and sampling a pair of ie8s the right side quickly waxed up and affected the sound. In my attempt to clean them I may have made it worse. Maybe I need my ears cleaned/syringed on a regular basis. With this in mind I like the idea of the tx500s wax guards.

One thing I will say abour cleaning your ears, any audiologist will tell you never to use products like Q Tips which tend to push the wax deeper. I'm going to the doc in a few weeks and might get him to syringe my ears.

I am looking foward to hearing these. I have HD580s (beautiful sound) and also Shure SRH840s and comparing the sound will be interesting. The problem with both sets of cans is isolation is not good.

One final thought. These will be used at home with the Fiio E7/E9 combo from my PC, at work from a uDac-2 plugged into my work tablet running W7 and unamplified with both my iPhone 4S and also a 16Gb Sansa view. Tracks are all 320 kbps MP3. I read somewhere that the E7/E9 combo degraded the sound of the ie80s but can't see how that could be.

Nov 17, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #3,754 of 7,699
Quote:
I've just bought these from an Australian based online company for $360 and will get them sometime next week. The feedback about the company makes it look as if they are the genuine thing (and for that price they should be). I'll use the how to spot fakes thread to check them out.

I've also ordered a set of the Comply tx500s from an online seller and will use those when they arrive. I seem to generate a lot of wax in my ears and sampling a pair of ie8s the right side quickly waxed up and affected the sound. In my attempt to clean them I may have made it worse. Maybe I need my ears cleaned/syringed on a regular basis. With this in mind I like the idea of the tx500s wax guards.

One thing I will say abour cleaning your ears, any audiologist will tell you never to use products like Q Tips which tend to push the wax deeper. I'm going to the doc in a few weeks and might get him to syringe my ears.

I am looking foward to hearing these. I have HD580s (beautiful sound) and also Shure SRH840s and comparing the sound will be interesting. The problem with both sets of cans is isolation is not good.

One final thought. These will be used at home with the Fiio E7/E9 combo from my PC, at work from a uDac-2 plugged into my work tablet running W7 and unamplified with both my iPhone 4S and also a 16Gb Sansa view. Tracks are all 320 kbps MP3. I read somewhere that the E7/E9 combo degraded the sound of the ie80s but can't see how that could be.

You'd be better off ordering them from amazon.de. They sell them for $270.00 on that site directly from Germany.

Nov 18, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #3,756 of 7,699
Quote:
holy ****, did not know they were that cheap.. thanks for that link, man!
is that for a limited time only or something? why are they reduced in price so much?

I'd wonder if they were genuine? Quite possibly as what I bought are what we call parallel or grey imports brought in from another place - in this case Europe. The cost of these things here in OZ are just ludicrous. They urge us to buy from Aussie stores but they just rip us off. Let them compete on the international market. Kogan obviously do and good on them.

The online store I bought mine from was

http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/sennheiser-ie-80-ear-earphones/?gclid=CIWG-r281LMCFQFBpgod7D8Aiw

I'm hoping (and am fairly sure) they are genuine but if they aren't I can at least do somethig about it in my own country.

Nov 18, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #3,757 of 7,699
Quote:
holy ****, did not know they were that cheap.. thanks for that link, man!
is that for a limited time only or something? why are they reduced in price so much?

The prices have always been cheaper in Germany pretty much. This is because Sennheiser is from Germany of course.

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #3,759 of 7,699
I was hesitating if it worth to purchase custom sleeves for IE80.

My first pair of Comply tips are destroyed after few weeks, so I think, I got the answer. If I dont want to spend 10 pounds a month for tips, then it worth to make customs, and probably I will use them for more than a year...

The question for me now is: isn't it better buying a headphone (in 200 pound range) instead of investing in IE80 (120 pounds for customs).

I know, its an old debate 'which one is better IEM or headphone'... But if we forget portability as an advantage on IEMs, does headphones (the mentioned price range) give more to the sound?

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #3,760 of 7,699
Quote:
I was hesitating if it worth to purchase custom sleeves for IE80.

My first pair of Comply tips are destroyed after few weeks, so I think, I got the answer. If I dont want to spend 10 pounds a month for tips, then it worth to make customs, and probably I will use them for more than a year...

The question for me now is: isn't it better buying a headphone (in 200 pound range) instead of investing in IE80 (120 pounds for customs).

I know, its an old debate 'which one is better IEM or headphone'... But if we forget portability as an advantage on IEMs, does headphones (the mentioned price range) give more to the sound?

I think a proper amp to get the best out of that 200 quid pair will set you back another 200 quid. But to be honest, a pair of headphones of that price range will probably beat the IE80 hands down when properly driven (K701 is an example).

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #3,761 of 7,699
Yeah, u r right. But what if we look at the headphones, which do not necessarily need amp as well? (Bowers and Wilkins P5, Sennheiser HD25, and their competitors...)

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #3,764 of 7,699
Just purchased my pair off of amazon.de
Only think I'm noticing is it says "discontinued order" under my order queue, but it still says it will be delivered Nov. 23.

Did it do this for anyone else when they ordered the headphones? I'm not sure what's really going on since it's all in german.
Don't want it to never be shipped at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back